Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Your first ride was.....

my first car, although I didn't officially own it, was an '87 Volkswagen Fox GL. that thing was built, boy. I never had any serious trouble with it, it was so damn sturdy. I actually didn't get my liscence until I was 18, because I wasn't sure about handling any car. however, both my parents (especially my father) are quite good drivers and taught me properly how to do things. 2 years later, I'm fairly well respected at work for being a good driver, especially with my relatively low experience (I'm 20.).

The first car that I actually bought, insured and genuinely own is my current car: an '86 Toyota MR2.

My Porsche, I'd just like to let you know that even with advanced driving courses, a 993 Porsche is definetely NOT a good first car. I know how it feels: There was this 944 for sale up the way when I first got my liscence that I wanted so bad, but it quickly became clear that learning to drive any car takes some practise. And I started out in a 90 HP FWD Volkswagen!

Trust me, you're better off buying an old crapper to build up your confidence in driving, as well as experience and ability. work your way UP to a Porsche. Hell, not only with my current car am I learning how to drive properly, and handle more extreme situations, I'm learning how to truly take car of my car, with something that... needs some attention, but isn't TOO fragile.

I wish more younger kids would take my route instead of getting the best all at once learning the hard way waaaay too soon.

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    Quote Originally Posted by Radoman
    my first car, although I didn't officially own it, was an '87 Volkswagen Fox GL. that thing was built, boy. I never had any serious trouble with it, it was so damn sturdy. I actually didn't get my liscence until I was 18, because I wasn't sure about handling any car. however, both my parents (especially my father) are quite good drivers and taught me properly how to do things. 2 years later, I'm fairly well respected at work for being a good driver, especially with my relatively low experience (I'm 20.).

The first car that I actually bought, insured and genuinely own is my current car: an '86 Toyota MR2.

My Porsche, I'd just like to let you know that even with advanced driving courses, a 993 Porsche is definetely NOT a good first car. I know how it feels: There was this 944 for sale up the way when I first got my liscence that I wanted so bad, but it quickly became clear that learning to drive any car takes some practise. And I started out in a 90 HP FWD Volkswagen!

Trust me, you're better off buying an old crapper to build up your confidence in driving, as well as experience and ability. work your way UP to a Porsche. Hell, not only with my current car am I learning how to drive properly, and handle more extreme situations, I'm learning how to truly take car of my car, with something that... needs some attention, but isn't TOO fragile.

I wish more younger kids would take my route instead of getting the best all at once learning the hard way waaaay too soon.
    I like your approach, similar to mine. I'd love to take a stunt driving and race driving course sometime, just to see what's involved in driving at that level. I'm an okay driver, I can handle just about any situation with considerable calmness, but I acknowledge compared to even weekend racers I downright suck, and I'd like to work my way up gradually.

That I bought a V8 powered, RWD car with no safety nannies at 17 and am still alive and kickin' should speak for me, and speak for how much I learned even driving the 130hp Focus.
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

Quote Originally Posted by jcp123
    I like your approach, similar to mine. I'd love to take a stunt driving and race driving course sometime, just to see what's involved in driving at that level.
    Advice -- don't hang around, get down to local track and ask around.
    There will be trackdays and you can maybe land lucky and find some pro drivers out willing to spend time with you.
    The next step is to take a 1/2 or 1 day 'experience' course at track.
    All of them do it over here, so I'm assuming the US has caught on to the business.
    For a couple of hundred bucks you can drive your own car, a salloon/GT racer ( lightened E-type at Knockhill )and single seater. a dozen or so tuition laps and 20+ laps observed.
    I keep asking them for some commision with the number of guys I convince to go along to Knockhill
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

i am currently trying to get my first car, im 18 and next summer am seriusly planing on buying a 98 miata... a decent first( lots of fun to toss around).
    My first driive on the other hand was a John deer 4500 tractor in portugal back when i was 8 years old
    Who killed the Electric Car?
    GO HABS GO!

Quote Originally Posted by ZeTurbo
    My first driive on the other hand was a John deer 4500 tractor in portugal back when i was 8 years old
    Mine was a Massey Ferguson 35, when I was 13 or so.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Radoman

good point, I was down in Washington, DC for 2 weeks in some educational program that was filled w/ rich kids, im only middle-class.... didn't fit in too well, but, long story short, half these kids crashed their 30k plus cars months after they got them.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella
    good point, I was down in Washington, DC for 2 weeks in some educational program that was filled w/ rich kids, im only middle-class.... didn't fit in too well, but, long story short, half these kids crashed their 30k plus cars months after they got them.
    this girl at my cousin's high school gave my cousin a ride to school everyday, and then my cousin found out that she crashed her new bmw 3, her mercedes clk, and a bunch of other cars, and totaled them and her parents kept buying her new ones! my cousin stopped getting a ride...
    He came dancing across the water
    With his galleons and guns
    Looking for the new world
    In that palace in the sun
    On the shore lay Montezuma
    With his cocoa leaves and pearls

1992 Mazda 626 1,8 GLX when I was 15, just in first gear tho

94 camaro. its also probably why i love big engined muscle cars........too bad that age is mostly dead
    "I'd hate to die twice. It's so boring" - Richard Feynman, last recorded words.

1989 Pontiac Lemans

1981 Subaru 4wd Wagon,

six different colors (not including the many shades of rust) Bought it for $400. Was a real good car, ran forever.

I haven't yet got my car as i'm a student but my dad has just bought a Supra TT for me and he says hes going to pay the insurance

That'll be fine.

jsut tell us which insurance company he gets then.

Supra TT for a 17 year old in your area.

RIGHT
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    That'll be fine.

jsut tell us which insurance company he gets then.

Supra TT for a 17 year old in your area.

RIGHT
    Owned

Quote Originally Posted by 6'bore
    I haven't yet got my car as i'm a student but my dad has just bought a Supra TT for me and he says hes going to pay the insurance
    im sure, a supra tt for you, and your dad is picking up the INSURANCE tab?
    He came dancing across the water
    With his galleons and guns
    Looking for the new world
    In that palace in the sun
    On the shore lay Montezuma
    With his cocoa leaves and pearls

Thread Information