Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Aye, the snow!

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey
    holy crap! i wish i had snow....
    how do you get to work etc?
    You don't. All schools, universities, and collages were closed province wide. And pretty much all business were closed today, for the morning at least.

No snow, but frigid as hell .... -23 and -34 factoring in the windchill, thats -9.5 and -29 Fahrenheit for you stateside non-metric guys.

It looked like that in calgary a few days ago

We got 2 inches last night and the country almost came to a standstill !!

ME ? I got as many of the cars as I could out and round to the industrial estate and some of the roads I know and got in some "practise". We're hoping it's still here at the weekend and maybe try to get on track with soem seriosu M+S tyres on the cars. We don't get to practise on snow enough and a few are thinking of doing next years Classic Monte. Driver's away over to recce this year
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

2 inches and you got people "out"? We get 40 cm and people still survive. It shuts us down for about half a day.

Quote Originally Posted by LTT
    2 inches and you got people "out"? We get 40 cm and people still survive. It shuts us down for about half a day.
    We Canadians are much more hardcore as far as weather goes. Many people just don't get it - they think that -3 is the most ridiculous thing ever

NoOne - good call on pointing out the temperature in both systems. It's really a shame that the USA (and the UK, to a lesser extent) won't make the full change to metric, for everybody's sake. Not trying to single anyone out, it's just logical.

today it was some 2 degrees with the windchill outside boston.
    may not seem cold to the canucks, but i had a laugh because of it:
    i went to work today (i work at an indoor pool) and there was the refrigerator effect: snow condensed onto the windows and the metal fittings. It looked all christmassy and pretty. Unfortunately it was also cold as ass

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Nog
    We Canadians are much more hardcore as far as weather goes. Many people just don't get it - they think that -3 is the most ridiculous thing ever

NoOne - good call on pointing out the temperature in both systems. It's really a shame that the USA (and the UK, to a lesser extent) won't make the full change to metric, for everybody's sake. Not trying to single anyone out, it's just logical.
    The problem with changing now is that all the machinery, measurement instruments, school lessons, and having to learn the metric system would cause problems, expensive problems.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

Its been done before......... back waay when it was implemented in NZ...

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella
    The problem with changing now is that all the machinery, measurement instruments, school lessons, and having to learn the metric system would cause problems, expensive problems.
    It's not major, I switch from one to other no problem.
    My kids always just give me a "huh?" any time I mention inches, etc.
    The one that's stayed is miles and the reason I've heard given is that it woudl be a huge expense to change all the road signs and road markins, so they stay miles and mph for a while.
    The only reason I can think I said inches with the snow is it's been sooooo long since we had any decent snowfall here it was all inches back then
    Re. learning the metric is it's infinitely easier than the imperial. Again, kids don't have to learn 12 14 and 16 times tables
    None of the lessons in our schools have been imperial for at least 10 years !!
    I'm jsut the old fart on the block who still pays in Guineas and measures dsitance in my car in furlongs
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    It's not major, I switch from one to other no problem.
    My kids always just give me a "huh?" any time I mention inches, etc.
    The one that's stayed is miles and the reason I've heard given is that it woudl be a huge expense to change all the road signs and road markins, so they stay miles and mph for a while.
    The only reason I can think I said inches with the snow is it's been sooooo long since we had any decent snowfall here it was all inches back then
    Re. learning the metric is it's infinitely easier than the imperial. Again, kids don't have to learn 12 14 and 16 times tables
    None of the lessons in our schools have been imperial for at least 10 years !!
    I'm jsut the old fart on the block who still pays in Guineas and measures dsitance in my car in furlongs
    That's true, it's just the cost that makes it tough. I'd be the first one to jump on the 'Change to Metric' bandwagon. My metric might actually be the same or better than my knowledge of imperial.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

Thread Information