Thread: Steering affecting RPM?

Steering affecting RPM?

Hey guys. Today I was out for a drive and while stationary outside my friend's house, the engine was just idling at around 800rpm. I found that when I turned the steering wheel a bit, the rpm rose to about 1050 without doing anything else! I know that it was probably because of the power steering, but I just found that totally weird. It was unexpected and as soon as I stopped turning, the car went back to 800rpm.

yep the power steering pump was taking energy out of the engine.
    The revs drop and so the ECU would up the fuel/air to maintain revs and . its sounds as if the ECU is a little heavy-handed at small throttle openings
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

in my car the RPMs actually drop when I turn the steering wheel

Quote Originally Posted by Sweeney921
    in my car the RPMs actually drop when I turn the steering wheel
    They woudl normally.
    With fa22, I think his engine was already at minimum rpmn for the ECU. So as the load increased and the revs dropped it fed some more fuel/air to keep the revs up. BUT it didnt' have gentle engugh control on the inital opening to prevent it going highr.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

What kind of car do you drive, fa?
    "You know what these trees and old people have in common? They're both going in the ground soon!" - Bam Margera

"The day the New York Times defines what Country Music is will be the day I shave my legs with a butter knife." - John Rich, of the country band Big and Rich

I'll be 15 on Feb. 18th, so buy me a drink! (Hint: Don't look at it as the decimal number. <smirks>)

It was actually my sister's Mitsubishi Lancer.

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    yep the power steering pump was taking energy out of the engine.
    The revs drop and so the ECU would up the fuel/air to maintain revs and . its sounds as if the ECU is a little heavy-handed at small throttle openings
    Of course any engine with anythig approaching torque would not have this problem. Try another four cylinders.
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

We cant all afford a SV8 crisis... its just an exec with a big donk anyways according to the holden dealership when i wen there
    The Datto will rage again...

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Supra
    We cant all afford a SV8 crisis... its just an exec with a big donk anyways according to the holden dealership when i wen there
    But it doesnt have to rev up to run the powersteering.
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

Thread Information