Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: Backward evolution in luxury cars

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    I would still maintain that saying the an egine really starts to kick in doing 80 mph is nonsense. It just makes you ask the question what the engine has been doing in lower gears at lower speeds. Stay asleep?
    I am posting this because I just found it and to show that it is indeed possible for a car/engine to really start to kick in at 80 mph...

May, 1957 Mechanix Illustrated, testing the 300-C, also mentioning the '56 300-B:
    "Though these times are just a tenth of a second off M.I. records, the big brutes only started to unravel and get truly hot after reaching 80 mph. From here on the power takes hold and the performance becomes missile-like until the 300-C is flat out at a solid 150+ mph. At 6,000 rpm, where most cars have valves that are floating like balloons, there is no sign of valve float or a trace of breaking-up."
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Fleet 500
    The point being what the magazine said in the first place ("Few cars can take this abuse").
    Why don't you just agree that the 300-F showed a good display of balance and leave it at that.
    In its day. A Tiger Moth was fast in its day.
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

I am posting this because I just found it and to show that it is indeed possible for a car/engine to really start to kick in at 80 mph...

May, 1957 Mechanix Illustrated, testing the 300-C, also mentioning the '56 300-B:
    "Though these times are just a tenth of a second off M.I. records, the big brutes only started to unravel and get truly hot after reaching 80 mph. From here on the power takes hold and the performance becomes missile-like until the 300-C is flat out at a solid 150+ mph. At 6,000 rpm, where most cars have valves that are floating like balloons, there is no sign of valve float or a trace of breaking-up."
    Fleet, dead horse and flogging comes to mind

First, I think we have people talking of the PERCEPTION of the car and not necessarily it's actual performance. If every other car does NOT offer any acceleration beyond 80 then of course ANYTHING will then seem faster. AS the speed limits are 55 you wouldn't expect mainstream manufacturers to care much about 80+. Would you ??

Second, please keep posting these old clips they're real fun. 6000 revs "valves floating like balloons" - LOVE IT
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    Second, please keep posting these old clips they're real fun. 6000 revs "valves floating like balloons" - LOVE IT
    I'm not gonna lie, I love those older similies. Or analogies. Or whatever it is they're called.
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

Quote Originally Posted by crisis
    In its day.
    In any day. A lot of late-model cars could probably learn something if they tried to follow a '60 300-F though some high-speed curves or mountain passes.

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    Fleet, dead horse and flogging comes to mind

First, I think we have people talking of the PERCEPTION of the car and not necessarily it's actual performance. If every other car does NOT offer any acceleration beyond 80 then of course ANYTHING will then seem faster. AS the speed limits are 55 you wouldn't expect mainstream manufacturers to care much about 80+. Would you ??

Yeah, it may be flogging a dead horse, but I just found that article yesterday.
    And since it said exactly the opposite of what henk4 insisted couldn't be true, I figured it was worth posting.

Back when the original 300s were built, the state of Nevada had no speed limit (outside of towns). Also in the wide-open places in states like Montana, Wyoming and Texas either had no speed limits or they weren't seriously enforced.

Lol. Many descriptions back then used a lot of imagination. The quote you cited was by Tom McCahill who was known for his colorful comments on cars.

In any day. A lot of late-model cars could probably learn something if they tried to follow a '60 300-F though some high-speed curves or mountain passes.
    Speculation.

Quote Originally Posted by crisis
    Speculation.
    That must be your favorite word.

That must be your favorite word.
    Its your favourite method of debate.

Thread Information