Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: Which country makes or has made the best supercar?

Quote Originally Posted by IWantAnAudiRS6
    That's what makes the McLaren F1 a supercar, and you said it yourself- it was developed for the road first!

The Porsche 959 I would class as a supercar- it may have been [i]designed[/b] as one, but it made much more sense as a road car. I know it was used in rallies, but was this before or after it was released as a road car?

As far as I can see, the very definition of a supercar is hard to pigeonhole- there are always going to be shades of grey, as with any other category. The 911 I think of as a sportscar, even the hardcore versions like the GT2 and Turbo are just very fast sportscars.

The GT1 slightly conflicts, but the homologation argument can be used, as it wasn't designed as a road car.

Then the 959 blurs it further (unless it was released as a road car first...
    First of all I completely agree with you on the 911, it may be fast or ultra fast, but it still isn't a supercar. The problems is, whenever homolagtion cars have to be built they always have to be built prior to the cars racing in that category. So that means that actually the 959 and I believe the 911 GT1 was first built and then raced (or at least at the same time). The 959 was intended to be a Group B car from day one, in fact until the 959 name was given to it it was known as the "Gruppe B studie". Porsche believed it would recover its past glory in rallying. Production of the actual 959 started in 1987. In 1985 the 959 had taken part in the Paris-Dakar (altough with a 911 drivetrain) and in 1986 the 959 won the Paris-Dakar (this time the actual 959) and came 7th overall in the 24h of Le Mans. So the car was actually racing before hitting the road...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

I'd say the Bugatti Veyron or the Ferrari F430 but thats just using my head to decide which one is the best because it just comes down to personal opinion.

Sweden
    Koenigsegg are the best supercars going around.
    I want to die in my sleep like my Grandma, not screaming like the other 3 people in her car.

There are 10 types of people in this world. People who understand binary and people who don't.

supercars must push the performance envelope to the absolute limit without comprimise

for that reason i dont believe the bugatti is a supercar just because it's too civilized

though i cant remember this far i can imagine the days of the F40 and diablo, it's just you, and your ass planted an inch from the floor with no sound deadening and electronic controls, supercars dont neccesarily have to be the fastest thing around a cirquit (that's a race car's job), they just have to thrill you and make you feel alive

Quote Originally Posted by KnifeEdge_2K1
    supercars must push the performance envelope to the absolute limit without comprimise

for that reason i dont believe the bugatti is a supercar just because it's too civilized

though i cant remember this far i can imagine the days of the F40 and diablo, it's just you, and your ass planted an inch from the floor with no sound deadening and electronic controls, supercars dont neccesarily have to be the fastest thing around a cirquit (that's a race car's job), they just have to thrill you and make you feel alive
    Yeh mate supercars today do all that besides the boring ones. i.e. SLR most boring ride ever.

I think the only reason the Veyron is civilised is due to the AWD system. I think the Zonda has a better interior, and I don't believe the Veyron's is any moer plush or fancy than the current crop of supercars.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

england-TVRs,Xj220,F1,Lotus

Italy - Pagani, Ferrari, Lamborghini (the power 3)
    England - Aston, Lotus, Jag, TVR, McLaren, (isnt the Stealth B6 from there)
    Holland - Spyker
    Sweden - Koenigsegg
    Germany - Porsche, Mercedes, BMW
    USA - Saleen
    THIS IS A SIGNATURE
    (UCP'S biggest Zonda fan)

Stand up next to a mountain, chop it down with the edge of my hand. Pick up all the peices make an island over there
    Jimi H...

Quote Originally Posted by Zondaboy1
    Germany - Porsche, Mercedes, BMW
    Yes, a Mercedes A150 and a BMW 116i are definitely supercars... And yet Lancia? Alfa Romeo? Bugatti?...
    Visca Catalunya!

I would def have to go with Germany

Porsche - Carrera GT
    Mercedes - SLR, engine for the Pagani Zonda F
    BMW - Engine for the Mclaren F1
    Porsche!

Italy has the best Supercars,BAR NONE!! Lamborghini,Ferrari,Maserati to name a few. What other country comes close? Don't bother answering,it's not even just that,close?

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Yes, a Mercedes A150 and a BMW 116i are definitely supercars... And yet Lancia? Alfa Romeo? Bugatti?...
    Mercedes once wished to produce the C112i Silver Arrow, but Isdera made it

AMG also made the engines for the Zonda

Quote Originally Posted by DanWheldon View Post
    Mercedes once wished to produce the C112i Silver Arrow, but Isdera made it

AMG also made the engines for the Zonda
    And they had the Gullwing.

But italians have manufacturers devoted to making only supercars.

That has to count for something.
    Visca Catalunya!

I would say Britian.
    McLaren F1 - Held the record for fastest road car for ages.
    Ultima GTR - Broke loads of records.
    Ariel Atom - One of the best handling cars in the world.
    Jaguar E type - Probably the best looking car in the world.
    And thers many more.
    If you have God on your side, everything becomes clear.

Ayrton Senna

IMPRESSION

America - Trucks, huge Cadillacs
    Germany - High quality, powerful sedans
    Japan - Cheap, reliable fast cars
    UK - Heritage, Awesome brand power, $0 in the piggy bank manufacturers
    Italy - Supercars

Italy, no country comes close.
    www.secondaryperspective.blogspot.com

Thread Information