Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 10 reasons to wait for PS3

One thing I've noticed is EVERY TIME somebody launches a new console, they make ridiculous claims as to how powerful it is etc. Remember the BS about the Xbox being capable of 125 million polgons per second? Whatever. I seriously doubt we'll be seeing 50GB game discs in the next few years...most people's computer hard drives arent even that big.

This type of thread is just asking for a huge fanboy frenzy full of nonsensical crap about "this console is better than that one". As I've alredy said in another thread today, it's the games that make the machine, not the other way around...that's why the N64 was never as popular as the PS1.
    "This is hardcore." - Evo's John Barker on the TVR Tuscan S

most people's computer hard drives arent even that big.
    That is a good point. I'll wait for the release in Australia to be proved wrong...
    All about the t-tops

Quote Originally Posted by Clivey
    One thing I've noticed is EVERY TIME somebody launches a new console, they make ridiculous claims as to how powerful it is etc. Remember the BS about the Xbox being capable of 125 million polgons per second? Whatever. I seriously doubt we'll be seeing 50GB game discs in the next few years...most people's computer hard drives arent even that big.
    Most current consoles aren't either.
    BUT you'll struggle to find any compeuter now less than 100G and most are 200G and ersious family-use are now pushing 300G. You get 300G drives for what you paid 2 years ago for 30G No reason to put in smaller, nobody makes small drvies anymore
    This type of thread is just asking for a huge fanboy frenzy full of nonsensical crap about "this console is better than that one". As I've alredy said in another thread today, it's the games that make the machine, not the other way around...that's why the N64 was never as popular as the PS1.
    Whilst it's true that the game makes the machine, it is equally true that hte same game delivered on BETTER techonology can be even better.
    It would be like claiming it's the driver who makes the car, which in the top echelon of sport is true. AND THEN saying we shoudlnt' discuss the technology or features of the cars. Whoops, Wouter, better shut the site down and re-open as ultimatedriver.com Clearly there is validity in discussing both. Sadly the power of marketign means we very very seldom get the chance to do real comparision of precisely the same game on all platforms.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

I seriously doubt we'll be seeing 50GB game discs in the next few years...most people's computer hard drives arent even that big.
    It's called blue ray technology...get used to it
    UCP's NO. 1 Source for Enzo & 69 Camaro pic's

Quote Originally Posted by werty
    It's called blue ray technology...get used to it
    And that's called being a fanboy, and no I won't get used to that.

That kind of comment was exactly the sort I was talking about..."Ooooh it's 'blu-ray' it's gonna be sooo much better!!!" We're not going to see a 50GB disc used to capacity for a computer game for quite a while.
    Last edited by Clivey; 11-30-2005 at 05:36 PM.

well its just another format battle, much like VHS vs Beta, Phonograph vs Vinyl Disc....When HD became common place, the existing DVD format is not going to suffice to store that amount of information in one disc, thus the upcoming "Blu-Ray" and the opposing "HD-DVD"....PS3 is not going to be the only one using it, but it will probably be one of the first potentially mass avaliable hardware to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac
    well its just another format battle, much like VHS vs Beta, Phonograph vs Vinyl Disc....When HD became common place, the existing DVD format is not going to suffice to store that amount of information in one disc, thus the upcoming "Blu-Ray" and the opposing "HD-DVD"....PS3 is not going to be the only one using it, but it will probably be one of the first potentially mass avaliable hardware to use it.
    I realise this, but what I'm saying is that just because the technology's available, it doesn't mean to say we're going to see 50GB worth of (a single) game on one disc. It wont automatically multiply the satisfaction we get from playing computer games as some people seem to think.

And that's called being a fanboy, and no I won't get used to that.

That kind of comment was exactly the sort I was talking about..."Ooooh it's 'blu-ray' it's gonna be sooo much better!!!" We're not going to see a 50GB disc used to capacity for a computer game for quite a while.
    a fanboy? it's called reading the facts you tard. PS3 blue ray disc's having 50 GB has already been achieved

and like it or not, you will be able to buy one in 2006

http://www.blu-ray.com/info/

read it n' weep

one more fact i read today in GameInformer Magazine...

Gears of War for 360, may use 3 dual layer DVD's.....thats 9GB x 3 = 27 GB for one game.....blue ray in PS3 is really going to hurt Microsoft...unless they can improve their compressing technology...which btw they are currently scrambling to improve before the PS3 launch next year
    Last edited by werty; 12-02-2005 at 03:30 PM.

It wont automatically multiply the satisfaction we get from playing computer games as some people seem to think.
    Imagine GT5 for PS3 with every single car in the world on one disc and in HD

i think you'll be over-satisfied

I realise this, but what I'm saying is that just because the technology's available, it doesn't mean to say we're going to see 50GB worth of (a single) game on one disc. It wont automatically multiply the satisfaction we get from playing computer games as some people seem to think.
    The only limits that prevent current hardware producing real life look to images and games is the size of the models they need to build and the many textures and their size.
    Some games are already pushing the limits on ordinary DVD.
    Makes sense to go in orders of magnitude.
    720Kb -> 1.44MB -> 650Mb -> 2.6Gb -> 50Gb
    You dont' need to use it all at the moment, but DO need more than current DVD.
    Anyone remember the X-files game which came on SEVEN CDs ? SOm eof us (!) remember when it was said nobody woudl ever need the capacity of ONE CD for a game
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by werty
    Imagine GT5 for PS3 with every single car in the world on one disc and in HD

i think you'll be over-satisfied
    This is what I mean, sorry mate but "every single car in the world" aint gonna happen. Imagine how long it would take to develop the game if they even tried something so ambitious. To get all the current (2005) production cars from all the mainstream manufacturers wouldn't even happen on the PS3 (...so you're looking at the PS4...or the "fourplaystation" J/K)

This is what I mean, sorry mate but "every single car in the world" aint gonna happen. Imagine how long it would take to develop the game if they even tried something so ambitious. To get all the current (2005) production cars from all the mainstream manufacturers wouldn't even happen on the PS3 (...so you're looking at the PS4...or the "fourplaystation" J/K)
    IF the engine can use the power to be data-driven then it will be easy.
    Get one person to do one car to the specifications for the car model in the game - relatively easy.
    Then it's only as long as it takes to do one, just 500 people doing it.
    Go look at all the add-ons that have been done for games like GPL

It's whether there's a market

But imagine every track http://trackdb.d2g.com/
    A track that INCLUDED bumps and was GPS mapped to 10cm resolution ( the best at the moment are only to 1m )
    That option will increase the track data size by 100 TIMES. Current "short" tracks are in the 50Mb range, so go for more realism and you've got a 5Gb file PER TRACK and imagine THEN wanting trakcs liek Isle of Man, Nordschliefe, Mille Miglia and you will need a full 50Gb for just one track
    Last edited by Matra et Alpine; 12-02-2005 at 03:37 PM.

your like the kid who said 3D graphics would never happen, and then 2 months later the 64 comes out

i'm not saying launch titles will use all 50 GB, but im positive they will use way more than 9GB, which the 360 is currently limited to

I can't believe I just read this entire thread. All of these numbers don't mean much, in the end, the PS3 will be 5% better/more powerful than the 360, the same way the X-Box (original) is now w/ the PS2 considering the PS3 has another year of development ahead.

i cant wait till ps3, im getting on the list WAY in advance, that reminds me, when can you reserve them?
    He came dancing across the water
    With his galleons and guns
    Looking for the new world
    In that palace in the sun
    On the shore lay Montezuma
    With his cocoa leaves and pearls

Thread Information