Thread: Engine Design Procedure

Engine Design Procedure

I am an Automobile engineer> i am in need to some technical tips win designing an automobile engine and transmission. Can any one help me?

Plz mail me [email protected]

Rajesh

SERIOUSLY ?????

You ARE an auto engineer already and asking such an open-ended question ????

What is your engineering background ? What type of engine and transmission do you want to "design" ? How much money do you have ? What tools do you have for CAD and FEA ? Do you intend to actually BUILD it ? Who is going to cast and machine and what capabilities do they have ?? What constraints do you have on teh final solution ?

Too far away from April the first but it jsut feels that way
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

hey,
    i would like to knw the theoretical approach in designing an engine. i mean the calculations, the assupmptions etc etc,, .Regarding the software part , i am having, every thing from Autocad to Catia for modellng. For the CAE part, i am having, IDEAS< ANSYS< CFD packages..Casting and maching part is far away...

Whoa...

Yea sounds good, pick up the phone and call gordon he knows whats up

There must be a number of ways to design an engine.

I imagine that for the most part the process is reqiurement led - performance goals that need to be achieved:
    Performance
    - power and torque and the delivery thereof, efficiency as well
    - reqirements for cooling, transmissions, etc
    - maintanace, servicing, expected lifespan
    - noise & vibration characteristics
    - pysical characteristics of size, weight etc
    - costs of materials, developments, manufacturing

Once you have established those basic requirements you can begin to decide what type of engine suits your needs:
    - Petrol / diesel
    - No. of pistons
    - Valve configuration
    - induction; forced or not

For a family hatchback, a 5.0-litre V12 is obviously too much.
    However, you might find that a small displacement V6 attains your performace goals easily, but can't meet requirements for weight, unless you used prohibitavely expensive materials.

Once you have worked out what type of engine is best you'd need to start working out technical details. I don't have a clue about that rubbish...

There are probably lots of very large books on the subject, most of them probably conflicting, I don't know what they are...
    Thanks for all the fish

For the theoretical approach to design and engine you need to understand chemistry, physics, mettalurgy to start with.
    THEN you need to learn maths and engienering to compare and contrast the 2 and 4 stroke otto cycle, the diesel engine, the wankel and the half dozen KNEW engine formats prototyped in the last few years.

To do all of that then you REALLY need a university degree in automotive engieering. Somehting as open-ended as you ask cannot be answered in a few questions or a page of text on an internet forum.

Read books and it will help, but nothing will fill out your inquisitiveness as much as a good university course. Sorry there really arent' any short cuts
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

hey, come one for your information, I have B.Tech degree in Automotive Engineering. Passed out from One of the reputerd university in INDIA , KERALA UNIVERSITY with 82.41% marks....

I also worked as tool room engineer for 19 months in the largest forging company in the world BHARAT FORGE LTD, India. Now i am working as development engineer in international auto ltd. Currently i am working on Project For TATA MOTORS .....I am looking forward more a more challenging work, thts why i decided to design an engine...... I am trying to colloect as many datas as possilble.

"A man with dream is powerful than one with all the facts"

I'm amazed that with that university background that you have not ALREADY been exposed to the text books, research work, patents and practical experience to know to frame your questino better and to have the answers available to you.

What EXACTLY is it you are asking then ??

If you have to ask on a forum like this how to design an engine, you are probably not going to be able to carry it off.

Judging by your impressive degree results you must be a very bright person. I suggest you have a think your self about what is important. When designing an engine it is likely you will call on your knowledge of every single subject you have studied at university e.g.Thermo-fluids, Dynamics, Materials.

I would suggest you start with the Otto cycle

Good luck

Yes iam plannong to get started with the OTTO cycle, but as i said earlier, i would like to know what are the assumptions that should me made. Regarding the practical experience part , i was working with BHARAT FORGE in tool room, so i am familiar with manufacturing operations forbthe cranK shafts.
    connecting rods. I m ayet to come across the same for the pistons, engine block,....i studied some books for Utomobile engineering, but in those, they dont deal with the design part. Thats why i had put my doubt in the forum.

A man with dream is powerful than one with all the facts"

What power and torque do you want to aim for.
    How complex are you willing to make it to gain efficiency.
    Are you willing to undertake ECU programming or keep it simlpe with carbs.
    Where are you planning on putting the engine. What orientation. What physical limits on width, depth, height.
    How easy, cheap is repair and maintenance to be.
    What ancillaries is the engine to drive.
    What fuel.
    What consumption.
    What emissions target.

Lots of questions need answered before jumping in to a design.
    You need to think all these through before even considering the "engine" itself

ask clearly

huh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thread Information