Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: `Struggling Adventra V8 gets the AXE`

`Struggling Adventra V8 gets the AXE`

Struggling Adventra V8 gets the axe

By NEIL McDONALD 30 December 2005
    www.goauto.com.au

All washed up: Holden's Adventra V8 has failed to perform. Manufacturing complexity has been blamed for the end of the Adventra V8 variant.

HOLDEN has decided to discontinue its V8 variants of its Adventra all-wheel drive and concentrate on Adventra V6s only.

The decision was made partly because the V8 model has been a slow seller in the competitive sports utility vehicle segment and also “the need to reduce manufacturing complexity at the Elizabeth, South Australia operations” according to spokesman, David Ellis.

The company has also decided to discontinue Holden One Tonner variants in preparation for the all-new VE Commodore in the second half of 2006.

Holden has sold about 3000 Adventras this year, compared to more than 22,000 Ford Territorys and the car has struggle despite the addition of a V6 in February.

Holden launched the Adventra as a V8 only model in 2003 with the V6 arriving in February 2005.

The V8 initially struggled because of its high $50,000-plus price, forcing the company to slice $4000 off the car’s price.

In 2004 just 2500 Adventras were sold, well short of Holden's 4800 target.

Another issue overshadowing the Adventra's future is the arrival of the GM-Daewoo sourced Captiva sports utility vehicle, based on the S3X concept car.

Holden is yet to release full details on the Captiva but it is likely to be available in five, or seven-seater configurations as well as front or all-wheel drive.

There are several powertrain options too – a 2.4-litre four-cylinder, a Holden built 3.2-litre Alloytec V6 as well as two Korean-built 2.0-litre turbo-diesel engines.

The state-of the-art Euro-4 compliant common-rail diesels will be available in fixed geometry turbo (FGT) form, which develops 88kW at 4000 rpm and 280Nm at 2000rpm, as well as a higher performing variable geometry turbo (VGT), which develops 110kW at 4000rpm and 310Nm at 2000rpm.

Meanwhile, from January 1, Holden's domestic and imported petrol vehicle range will all comply with strict Euro3 (ADR 79/01) regulations.

Federal Government legislation requires all 2006 petrol engine cars and light commercial vehicles to meet Euro3 requirements – including new standards for exhaust emissions and restrictions on fuel evaporation.

Current exhaust emission limits (ADR 79/00 or Euro 2) restrict hydrocarbon and oxides of nitrogen emissions to 0.5 grams per kilometre and carbon monoxide to 2.2gm/km.

Euro3 (ADR 79/01) requirements restrict hydrocarbon emissions to 0.2gm/km, oxides of nitrogen to 0.15gm/km and carbon monoxide to 2.3gm/km.

Holden also announced model changes to its model year 2006 line-up of locally produced vehicles in preparation for an all-new Commodore in the second half of the year.

The high-tech 3.6-litre Alloytec engine introduced in the VZ Commodore series in 2004 required minor changes to the engine, exhaust system and calibration to meet Euro 3 requirements.

These changes included new fuel injectors and a new exhaust catalyst.

As reported by GoAuto in November, the new 6.0-litre L76 alloy engine, a member of GM’s fourth-generation small block V8 family, joins the lineup for 2006.

The engine develops 260kW at 5600 rpm and 510Nm at 4400 rpm when tested with 98RON premium unleaded petrol.
    I didnt see this coming...

Nobody is gonna miss it. It just shows how much the Tezza has destroyed the Adventra. Once the SEX comes out the adventra wont sell at all...OMG 3000 sold...Thats PATHETIC!!!
    Last edited by adrenaline; 12-31-2005 at 08:42 PM.

I'm sure the one's who bought them won't be happy they are gone, Then again they have theres they will be happy. They defend there Adventras very hard, Because they love them.
    It's 2 biggest down falls were price and body, No-one would seriously consider it cause it's not cheaper then a SS And Calais. And slower then a SV6 M6. And now with the V6 coming on board it also didn't have it's safety gear.
    And fuel prices going up kills the V8 with it's 17-18 litres per 100. Some have got 13-14L per 100 on average which isn't so bad.
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

3rd row seats would have helped sales. But the V6 Adventra is pretty reasonably priced, especially when you check out the equipment list. The SX6 is probably the best buy.
    uʍop ǝpısdn sı ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎɯ

I reclon the problem for the Adventra was that it didn't have a proper place in the market. It wasn't a full sized 4x4 so it wasn't gonna take Cruiser/Prado/Pajero/Tezza (once it was launched)/etc., and it was really expensive for a station wagon, and unless you lived out of town or somewhere with really bad/dirt roads, it didn't offer anything over a normally Commy wagon

I always thought it was Holden's way of getting there AWD system out there.
    But with the VE around the corner they were never going to be able to build there own high rider, They might have designs going around but nothing that was passed.

Holden plans to make AWD a huge part of the VE, right? Thats what I heard earlier this year anyway...

I hope so, but I dont count it...

Quote Originally Posted by ADRENALINE
    Holden plans to make AWD a huge part of the VE, right? Thats what I heard earlier this year anyway...
    They said it was very hard for HSV to get Holden's AWD low for the coupe4. But after they did it it might be easy now?. And i don't think i have herd a bad thing about the Coupe4?, And i even seen one on the road and it was mean with it's side's out looking tuff. Fit under VE easy.

The Coupe4 is ejaculatory material! its seriously one of the toughest looking cars ever!
    But AWD in the VE might screw up pricing and stuff, but I spose the chaps and girls at GMH can handle that sort of stuff. But I must say that I would a little dissapointed if Holden didnt put emphasis on RWD.

I have a sneaking suspicion the Territory will not be troubled by the SEX. why bother buying a shoddy Korean model when you can support local jobs and get an inheirantly better car because of it.....and STILL have a world class vehicle?

Bummer for Holden, but the Audi Allroad rip-off was always going to be a slow seller, despite predictions.

On a side note; anyone know that Holden actually owns the Allroad name, and lets Audi use it under license?
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows
    I have a sneaking suspicion the Territory will not be troubled by the SEX. why bother buying a shoddy Korean model when you can support local jobs and get an inheirantly better car because of it.....and STILL have a world class vehicle?

Bummer for Holden, but the Audi Allroad rip-off was always going to be a slow seller, despite predictions.

On a side note; anyone know that Holden actually owns the Allroad name, and lets Audi use it under license?
    Agreed. After all, those Koreans have nukes!

That made no sense.

Holden owns the "Allroad" monkier? I though it was just Cross-Trac....

They dont have to use it to own it...if u get what im saying...They can register any name they want but by registering it they dont necessarily need to use it...

Holden registered the Allroad name, and allows Audi to use it under license.

This sort of thing happens all the time in the automotive world. For Example, the recent furore between Audi and Infiniti regarding the Q moniker.....
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

lol audi seems to have its nose in everything

Thread Information