Thread: London to host start of 2007 Tour de France

London to host start of 2007 Tour de France

The 2007 Tour de France will begin in London, Mayor Ken Livingstone announced on Tuesday.

It is the third time the Tour has visited England but the first time it has ventured into the capital.

It made its debut in 1974 in Plymouth before returning to English soil 20 years later when England's Chris Boardman led the race.

The Tour has started in an array of different venues, including Dublin and Liege in recent years.

Livingstone said: "Hosting the first stage of the legendary French cycle race will raise the profile of cycling in the capital, attract visitors and promote the capital as a venue for international sporting events."

The route has yet to be finalised but is expected such landmarks as Buckingham Palace, Trafalgar Square and the Houses of Parliament.

The announcement was heralded by Boardman, who admitted he was amazed by the turnout from the British public when the Tour last visited England.

He told Radio Five Live: "The last time the Tour visisted these shores two-and-a-half to three million people lined the roads. It was quite a spectacle.

"That will at least be trebled in the capital.

"We have a number of riders in Britain who can take the leader's yellow jersey - Bradley Wiggins is one that springs to mind - so that would be quite something for the British public."
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/othe...ng/4643032.stm

That's a different start...
    "The best thing about this is that you know that it has to come from a country where drugs is legal"

Top Gear on the Vandenbrink Carver One

I never understood why they start the Tour in other countries. Just start and finish in Paris.

Other citys pay the ASO large amounts of money to host the start.

Hosting the start is still financially benifical to the host city due to the tourism generated.
    Chief of Secret Police and CFO - Brotherhood of Jelly
    No Mr. Craig, I expect you to die! On the inside. Of heartbreak. You emo bitch

its "Tour de France", not "Tour de france/Angleterre"

i Think a Tour of europe would be a pretty good idea. Imagine stages in places like the swiss alps, instanbull, spain, scotland, etcc...
    Who killed the Electric Car?
    GO HABS GO!

in the past the TdF has alreadt started in Italy, Belgium, the Netherlands, the UK and Germany. Every city willing to fund a large amount of money can get itself promoted to the starting place....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

land of the Desert Extreme Challenge Rally
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeTurbo
    the swiss alps, instanbull, spain, scotland, etcc...
    And do what, freeze to death, get shot, grow a moustach, get wet and trip over sheep?

I wich Porto could host the start of the 06 Tour... Auto!
    Money can't buy you friends, but you do get a better class of enemy.

Quote Originally Posted by Lagonda
    I never understood why they start the Tour in other countries. Just start and finish in Paris.
    that's what I thought too.

Thread Information