Thread: Ford Mustang Cobra Upgrades

Ford Mustang Cobra Upgrades

So, after browsing through the web and finding various videos of kenne bells, and AMS evos; I can't help but find that the cobras are getting owned. On srvidz, kenne bells are getting killed by 2 liter 4 cylinder evos. Naturally, you would think the cobra would win, seeing as how it's supercharged as well, and pushing twice as much air.

Then, I realized that the evos are running on 30+ psi, whilest the cobras are pushing 18. So, my question is; why such a low boost? I've never heard of a cobra putting out more than 20. Is it because the Eaton can't handle it? The bottom end isn;t strong enough? I'm looking for a viable answer, but not finding any....
    Sometimes the best view of heaven is from hell.

Hmm...oohh....Wow!! These are delectible! Good news, Flappy! I'm not going to kill you!

The answer (I don't know - just assuming) could be knock. An over-heated combustion chamber can result in knock. Usually valves are a source of knock.

Maybe the Evos use better materials for the internal parts of the engine.

its not, its just that people start running out of money to upgrade to more, there are cobras that have beaten the AMS evo, the 03-04 cobra itself allready comes with mostly forged internals, but most people stop after 6-700hp, this is not to say there's twin-turbocharged(or single) over 700hp cobras too, and kenne-bells too, the twin-screw supercharger itself can do more than 18-20 psi(believe around ~22-25psi for the 2.2 or 2.4L twin-screw) but some, if not most of those don't live around where the AMS evo is or where other fast 4 cylinders are, also there is 2 or 3 AMS evo's doing over 600awhp(there's 1 that i know doin 82xawhp with a GT42R turbo @ over 35psi), that and the car weighting at around ~3000-3200lbs(with maybe some weight reduction so that'd make it less than 3200lbs) compared to ~3600lbs of the cobra(most still run the stock interior & IRS, some do change to live axle though)

most just run out of money to add more parts(more fuel, tunning, upgrading the allready forged internals(to something stronger, i don't know the limits of the stock 1's, but its over 600rwhp)
    1993 nissan 240sx hatchback(stock) <<drifter, straight liner, road courser

"Horsepower is the force that determines how fast you hit the wall. Torque is the force that determines how far you take the wall with you after you hit it."

"Horsepower sells cars, torque wins races" - Carroll Shelby

"Real cars don't make power at the front wheels....they lift them."

The evos get the jump on the cobras and the cobras dont have enough room to catch up. Also the evos a very easy car to drive well when the cobra is not. A modded 03-04 cobra is a dime a dozen and only a handful of the cars have good drivers. So basically bad drivers with bad ass cars loose to evos. The internals can take over 1000hp btw
    UCP biggest mustang lover

i've never seen a vid of an evo beating a kenne bell cobra...not saying it can't happen i just haven't seen it.... KB cobras are deadly fast. 600 hp is just the beginning for a cobra motor. their all completely forged inside and for stronger stuff its about 1500 bucks for crank rods and pistons. you put some nitrous on a KB cobra and put somebody in the drivers seat that knows how to launch it and there isn't much on the street that can keep up. more than 20 PSI is easily possible with the right supercharger (KB blowzilla, novi 2000) but the reason most guys arent runnin that much is cuz your not gonna be able to hook it up. the EVO's have AWD lets not forget. also another big drawback with the cobras is their IRS. its nearly impossible to hook the IRS up with big power and even if you can the stock rear ends on em are pretty weak once you start building more power in em. if you wanna see some fast mustangs tho take a look at fox bodies (79-93) their easy to make weigh in at the 2500 lb mark (we're talking honda civic weight here) and put out big power with the right mods (and the mods are pretty damn cheap too). low 10's with 450-500 horsepower is fairly easy to acheive in them. on the street i'm convinced fox bodies are about the best way to go for a super fast car that will wax almost anything and still be daily drivable if you want
    My rides:
    1999 Mustang GT

1974 Ford Country Squire (for sale!)

1991 Jeep Cherokee

1970 Shelby GT500

You can build a fox body for cheap because the engines is everywhere. Ive seen some T-67 turbo evos stomp on a ported eaton car but thats it.
    UCP biggest mustang lover

Thread Information