Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 3DMark Scores / Rig Specs

Quote Originally Posted by derekthetree
    i have a feeling jakg is one of those people who has to go against the computing establishment, i.e. Intel, Microsoft
    Well AMD has been winning the bang-for-buck comparison for a while.
    Taken the new 1G FSB Pentium to grab the high ground. BUT as usual at a PRICE -- £800 for the CPU
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by NuclearCrap
    I envyed that Jakg has a dad who's a gamer.
    hes got all these parts sighting there, and he only has 3 games installed, MOHAA, Warcraft 2 and Mechwarrior 3, and he says "So Jack, you know these things, do you reckon it could play Mechwarrior well ?" i think he's only bought them to make me work hard at school, but know he as an SLi system, i am going to have to force him to try UT...
    Quote Originally Posted by derekthetree
    i have a feeling jakg is one of those people who has to go against the computing establishment, i.e. Intel, Microsoft
    no, i dont like Intel's, they are over priced and produce to much heat for my liking, thus i buy AMD, i go for ATi because they tend to be better for the budget video cards (i may game, but ill only ever spend £100 on one, and my 9600 XT is a very capable card), i use Windows yes, but not by choice, because of how long it takes to boot up windows it makes switching just to play a game impractical, as 95% of programs ar designed for Windows, i would use Linux (probably SUSE or Ubuntu), but it just isnt practical for me, i understand for others that it is (ie my Dad is a true geek, last booted into Windows a week ago!) but for my needs Windows is my gift and my curse! And how am i going against the computing establisment? most people use windows yes, but purely because 3.1 was easy to use, thus more used it, it wasnt that bad either, but once Microsoft got a old of the market they started holding things back, if Linux can be made by a small group of unpaid hackers, think what the full time coders of windows should have made...

Quote Originally Posted by Jakg
    Linux can be made by a small group of unpaid hackers, think what the full time coders of windows should have made...
    Minotr correcntion the Linux you play with today was made by a MASSIVE group of unpaid developers. More coding hands have touched Linux than Windows
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    Minotr correcntion the Linux you play with today was made by a MASSIVE group of unpaid developers. More coding hands have touched Linux than Windows
    i was thinkiing per distro, in total i woul imagine it would be larger than windows, in short i dont really know what i menat!

Well AMD has been winning the bang-for-buck comparison for a while.
    Taken the new 1G FSB Pentium to grab the high ground. BUT as usual at a PRICE -- £800 for the CPU
    Your right about AMD being on top, but from what im seeing Intel has a huge advantage: the consumer market (cant think of a better term for it). Intel has licences with huge companies such as Dell, HP, Gateway, ect. The only market AMD really has is the custom builders, sadly a minority. Thats why i like to see people using AMD.
    UPC's most heavy Bawls drinker. :D

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoChimp22
    Your right about AMD being on top, but from what im seeing Intel has a huge advantage: the consumer market (cant think of a better term for it). Intel has licences with huge companies such as Dell, HP, Gateway, ect. The only market AMD really has is the custom builders, sadly a minority. Thats why i like to see people using AMD.
    Dell is the only mainstream maker who does not also have an AMD license.
    The stock market has always looked negatively on that choice as it limits their competitiveness

i was thinkiing per distro, in total i woul imagine it would be larger than windows, in short i dont really know what i menat!
    lol my brother has a huge stack of Ubuntu disks on his desk that he just gives away to people. I used it for awhile because i didnt want to deal with some of the everyday windows BS's but i ended up switching back to XP pro like 2 weeks later haha. Ive been using windows for 10 years and i know a lot about it, id chose it over linux anyday.

Dell is the only mainstream maker who does not also have an AMD license.
    The stock market has always looked negatively on that choice as it limits their competitiveness
    Also.. if i asked my grandma if shed buy a A64 X2 3800+ (2ghz) or a P4 EE 3.2ghz (she has no clue what any of that means) i know that she would probably take this "faster" P4. Not talking specificly about her, but anybody who would consider Dell in the first place. In my eyes its just something they take advandage of.

Guest Guest
    lol my brother has a huge stack of Ubuntu disks on his desk that he just gives away to people. I used it for awhile because i didnt want to deal with some of the everyday windows BS's but i ended up switching back to XP pro like 2 weeks later haha. Ive been using windows for 10 years and i know a lot about it, id chose it over linux anyday.
    they send them out free - just waiting for my next batch to arrive...

they send them out free - just waiting for my next batch to arrive...
    lol yeah i know, i dont think he would be giving them away if he paid for them.

jakg, as i said in the prior page i agree completely, AMD's are much better than P4s, its just i commited to buying one by buying the mobo way before the rest of my bits. The AMD's are a hell of a lot better at the min, not because of the 64 bit (useless) or cooling (useful) but they are far more efficient than intels.

However the new core coming out, presler from intel will blow amd away, and their new one will probably do the same to intel so we'll see.

@matra et alpine, i disagree, the thing is while the intel top model is less than £700 (if you seriously got that price i have a list of retailers you may want) the top range AMD is £760 +++ so the price isnt much of a concern.

The thing of having people like dell doesnt really get you anywhere if your processors are slower really, and dell are trapped anyway

@jakg again, has your dad already bought the parts for that computer, if not tell him to get a single 6800GS, as it will be close to or better than the gt's in performance, and you have the option of upgrading to sli in the future. For some good specs you may want to look at my site, www.ultimatespec.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by bennywidag
    However the new core coming out, presler from intel will blow amd away, and their new one will probably do the same to intel so we'll see.
    It's out and the one I'm talking about
    @matra et alpine, i disagree, the thing is while the intel top model is less than £700 (if you seriously got that price i have a list of retailers you may want) the top range AMD is £760 +++ so the price isnt much of a concern.
    You're telling me you can get me a warrantied 955EE ( Dual Core HT 3.46GHz 1066MHz fsb 2x2MB cache ) for less than 700 ? tell me where !!!!! NOW, and check their availability before sending me their phone number ) I suspect you've got prices for the 8xx "Smithfield"s !!
    The thing of having people like dell doesnt really get you anywhere if your processors are slower really, and dell are trapped anyway
    Dell still argue they are makign the right choices by NOT confusing their produce line. Sales and profits speak for themselves

Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by bennywidag
    jakg, as i said in the prior page i agree completely, AMD's are much better than P4s, its just i commited to buying one by buying the mobo way before the rest of my bits. The AMD's are a hell of a lot better at the min, not because of the 64 bit (useless) or cooling (useful) but they are far more efficient than intels.

@jakg again, has your dad already bought the parts for that computer, if not tell him to get a single 6800GS, as it will be close to or better than the gt's in performance, and you have the option of upgrading to sli in the future. For some good specs you may want to look at my site, www.ultimatespec.co.uk
    he's already bought them, asembled them as well, he got the carsd for £80 each on a special offer

I dont have any clue what a £ is, but assuming is a pound... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819116246

you can get it for 665 of them. lol

BTW: dono if they deliver overseas

I dont have any clue what a £ is, but assuming is a pound... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819116246

you can get it for 665 of them. lol

BTW: dono if they deliver overseas
    Add shipping, add VAT and it don't make the price point by a large margin.

PS: I have bought via newegg on stuff that is late coming to Europe The UK tax folks are getting hotter at stopping shipments and charging the VAT

Thread Information