Thread: What Engine and Gearbox would you use?

What Engine and Gearbox would you use?

My how times change. When I was racing Mini Coopers years ago and had to call the UK for parts I would have to call an overseas operator about 3AM my time. They would place my call and then call me back when they got a connection. The price per minute was astronomical.

Last week I called Westfield and the cost was $.07 per minute. Westfield was very helpful in describing their cars to me.
    I have decided on a Sport 1800 rolling chassis. I now have to decide on which engine to put in it. It has been highly recommended that I use a Duratec 3L V-6 200-240 hp.
    I have been told that they will fit and I should be able to find one here in the states.

I was also told that they do not weigh much more than the 4 cylinder Zetech’s.

This car comes with a MT-75 transmission, which I understand will not match up to the Duratec 30. Do you know which Gearbox’s Bolt up?

Am I correct that a box from a Mazda MPV, Mazda 6, Ford Ranger and Mazda Pickup’s will fit?

After purchasing the car I will not have a lot of money to spend on the powertrain. I am in hopes of finding a salvage car.

Your opinions and information on engines and gearboxes will be appreciated greatly. What would you do?

Who said the V6 would fit ?
    I've seen the 2.3litre Duratec in a Westfield and it was pushing out about 270-80 not so sure about the V6. I'll do some searching in the kit car club and get back....
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

land of the Desert Extreme Challenge Rally
    Make the feeling a bit more nostalgic.

Who said the V6 would fit ?
    The guy selling the car "Who Else?"

It would probably be cheaper to go with (second hand) superbike engines and gearboxes. You should check on that...
    Zag when they Zig

There are an awful lot of smashed Ford Cosworths of various types in the UK, if you have a mate over here that can find one that would make great a (cheap) engine and 'box, brakes, diffs, hubs etc

They're tough and easily tunable too.
    www.crash.net/motoring/roadcars/news/home/

Quote Originally Posted by 10X
    The guy selling the car "Who Else?"
    Somedbody at Westfield, someone at a dealer, a local club, a guy in the street and even the guy on teh grassy knoll.

IF it was Westfield then fine, if it was anyone else, I'd go check with Westfield if it will fit before you go buying engines and mating bellhouses

Been involved in MANY kit builds where the new owner was todl it woudl "fit". SOme even said it might need a little work> One of THOSE ended up replacing the tunnel tubes and making a new pedal box DROPPED through the floor !!!!
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by magracer
    It would probably be cheaper to go with (second hand) superbike engines and gearboxes. You should check on that...
    In the UK, the bike engines aren't cheap. A Zetech or AGE or Vauxhall and even VTEC can be cheaper !!!!
    And if you want it for a road car then it's another £500 to put reverse in

The Mazda MPV and 6 are FWD aren't they? So the gearbox from them wouldn't fit. Stick with a 4-cylinder and the gearbox the chassis is designed around before I start making "typical american" style comments.

What is a good engine for a volvo 122- i don't think the B20 engine can muster what i need for track days

There won't be many engines that are powerful enough to take a Volvo on a trackday.

Thread Information