Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Car is Failing Emission Testing .... Help!!

My Car is Failing Emission Testing .... Help!!

Here in Ontario, we have mandatory emission testing for cars older than 5 yrs and up to 20 yrs old.

My car a 1991 Acura Integra (1.8 dohc) runs beautifully, quick starts, no hesitation or stumbling, good acceleration (for what it is). I took it in for the "E" test and it failed miserably (I'll post the numbers tomorrow when I have the paperwork back).

Having failed, I did the simple quick fixes: replaced air cleaner, replaced plugs (Bosch Platinum 2's), replaced o2 sensor, ran a full tank of premium fuel with a bottle of fuel system cleaner and even (at my wife's insistance) changed the oil ... I had changed it 2500km ago. It failed a second time, much better but not enough for a pass.

I went down to my friend's garage where we separated the exhaust for a quick look at the catalytic converter, it looked fine but he gave me a great deal so that was replaced, also added approx. 40 oz of Methyl Hydrate to the gas tank in the hopes of a really clean burn. Third fail.

Took it to a friend of his who is liscensed for testing, somewhere we could tweak it as much as we could. Unplugged an injector, which should add more "pure" air to the exhaust. Failed. Advanced then retarded timing. Failed again.

What we have noticed is it is failing in the "curb idle" section of the test and passing in the "steady 40km/h" part. This doesn't make any sense to me, am I overlooking something? Could the injectors be opening too much and dumping far too much fuel at idle or possibly all the time, this could explain my poor mileage ( I had thought it was just my aggressive driving) of approx. 480-520 km/tank .... how to test for this?

Any ideas would be welcome, thanx guys.

my friend couldnt pass emissions once on his s-10...so he ripped all his smog stuff out of the truck and it passed with flying colors!
    My rides:
    1999 Mustang GT

1974 Ford Country Squire (for sale!)

1991 Jeep Cherokee

1970 Shelby GT500

Quote Originally Posted by Juggs
    my friend couldnt pass emissions once on his s-10...so he ripped all his smog stuff out of the truck and it passed with flying colors!
    I don't think that would work here, it has to pass a visual first. I've really exhausted all my ideas and tricks.

You know any friends at a garage that does inspections? If not I think you should make some friends!

Fake/doctored tests run in the $250-350 range, but many places are reluctant to do this as it puts their license at risk should a spot check turn up something. Soon, the use of mobile exhaust testers - "sniffers" will be more widespread, this will probably eliminate the mandatory testing that is well known as a money grab for both government and repair facilities.

Quote Originally Posted by NoOne
    I've really exhausted all my ideas and tricks.
    oh my...
    badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger

Quote Originally Posted by d-quik
    oh my...
    what he said ^

Quote Originally Posted by d-quik
    oh my...
    Noone does puns like he does
    Chief of Secret Police and CFO - Brotherhood of Jelly
    No Mr. Craig, I expect you to die! On the inside. Of heartbreak. You emo bitch

The back box fills with water and other stuff that makes it fail emissions. As far as I know there isn't a way to check if its full apart from removing it.

^WTF?

Did you try the 02 sensor?
    "We went to Wnedy's. I had chicken nuggest." ~ Quiggs

Quote Originally Posted by Cyco
    Noone does puns like he does
    this is too much
    badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger

you could try to drive the car around before you take the test, this way the engine could warm up fully, this would probobly help it seal better and ensure that the converters and such are fully heated up.

There are some vacuum related boxes on the firewall and for whatever reason when I had my '91 Integra smog tested, the mechanic found the lack of vacuum to be the problem. IIRC, he pointed at a box with vacuum lines attached.

Sorry about this vaque-ish reply but this happened many years ago and I don't recall perfectly other than it was vacuum related. As you've tried everything else, it might be worth considering/testing vacuum.

Good luck!
    "Racing improves the breed" ~Sochiro Honda

If you can you could get some silt filters

one of my friends couldnt get his car to pass, so I just hooked up my car to do the test and gave the guy $40 and that was it.
    2011 Honda Civic Si

ATHEIST and damn proud of it.

Thread Information