Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Better than Corvette C6 Z06?

The Z06 has double wishbones, a composite transverse leaf spring and oil dampers front and back.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Quote Originally Posted by MrKipling
    Leaf springs on the front! No, I don't think so - how would you go about steering the wheels?
    with a steering wheel
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Not with leaf springs you wouldn't. Well, not to any controllable degree of delicacy!
    www.crash.net/motoring/roadcars/news/home/

Quote Originally Posted by Guibo
    Have you driven an SRT-10 Viper Coupe?
    I havn't driven the coupe, only the soft top, but I have done passanger laps in 1.

How much time have you spent the time behind the wheel of each? They didn't appear that different to me (or the owner of both).
    Chief of Secret Police and CFO - Brotherhood of Jelly
    No Mr. Craig, I expect you to die! On the inside. Of heartbreak. You emo bitch

Not with leaf springs you wouldn't. Well, not to any controllable degree of delicacy!
    Why?? It is a very conventional suspension with double wishbones, it just uses a transverse leaf spring for springing. Leaf springs does not automatically mean solid angles etc.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

There is no connection between delicacy and the difference in springing medium. FWIW, R&T rated the standard Corvette's steering higher than the Z4, 350Z, Viper, S2000, and SLK350. None of which have leaf springs.

It sounds like you find this all very hard to believe? I'd still like to know your source for the torsion bar.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyco
    I havn't driven the coupe, only the soft top, but I have done passanger laps in 1.
    How much time have you spent the time behind the wheel of each? They didn't appear that different to me (or the owner of both).
    I've only been in the Gen 1 roadster, which has the structural rigidity of linguini. The coupe is much better sorted (it'll keep pace with its contemporaries in the corners), and the GenIII SRT-10 Coupe is better still.
    Where did you see this SRT-10 coupe? Not in Australia, I reckon.

iirc there were a series of australia specific coupes made, not sure about SRT-10's though. i'm sure several have been imported
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Well, the test in question referenced the SRT-10 coupe.

From C&D:
    "Once on the track, though, we found the Viper to be as friendly as a yellow Lab—obedient, eager to please—and it would do what you told it to, without fail. 'Surprisingly easy to drive around the track and very forgivable as the rear end rotates,' flip-flopped the guy who had said the Viper made him nervous.
    That comment was a huge compliment, considering Grattan's track is far from smooth. There are lots of undulations, small hard-to-see rises, lots of elevation changes, and a couple of spots where a car can almost get airborne. If any track can illustrate a car's handling weaknesses, Grattan is it."

From Autocar:
    "Back in Viper days of old, summoning up 500 horsepower without your full and undivided attention would be rewarded with snap oversteer and plenty of opposite lock. Three generations in, the SRT-10 feels much better behaved.
    Suspension development by Dodge SVT plus sticky 14-inch-wide rear tyres mean the Coupé is usually planted to the road. But you still need to concentrate. Get it wrong and there’s no traction control to safeguard your backside.
    It steers like a dream, though. The salami-thick wheel will test your muscles at low speeds, but on these fast twisties it feels nicely weighted, surgically precise and a great line of communication to what’s happening up front."

From evo:
    "In fact the chunky looks are belied by your first impressions at the wheel. The steering, for example, feels quick and positive - even if it is separated from the driver by 8.3 litres of Detroit's finest. Sitting virtually over the rear wheels helps you feel what the car is doing... which is never dull. For while the front stays pinned to the road, the rear squirms around, defying you to prod the throttle hard and take off into oblivion.
    Yet somehow the SRT10 manages to hold it all together. It certainly isn't down to electronic interference. There's no ESP, no traction control and it only has ABS because, according to Dodge, it makes the thing faster round a track and so fits in with the SRT ethos. Yet once you've got the feel of the surprisingly responsive accelerator pedal you realise it's actually rather a playful beast and fishtailing away from standstill is something to look forward to - until you get the bill for the enormous 345/30x19in rear tyres."

So, not very truck-like.

Leaf springs on the front! No, I don't think so - how would you go about steering the wheels?
    it's OK, MrK, your' thinking of longtidutonal leaf springs.
    The 'vette uses TRANSVERSE leaf springs, so they go from side to side nad mount onto the bottom wishbone which moves up and down> The hub can still turn liek normal.
    Long time ago member culver and I discussed this at length and he posted link to good pics.
    http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum...eaf#post302523

If you go there and follow it you'll see a pic showing how the leaf links to the bottom arm.

Hmmm,,, whre's Culver when this thread needs him. Raced single seaters, driven Miata AND Corvette on track. Would be fun sitting back and watching Guibo
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Guibo
    I've only been in the Gen 1 roadster, which has the structural rigidity of linguini. The coupe is much better sorted (it'll keep pace with its contemporaries in the corners), and the GenIII SRT-10 Coupe is better still.
    Where did you see this SRT-10 coupe? Not in Australia, I reckon.
    So I'm not allowed to comment based on experence, but with less experence you are? hhhmmmmm.....

There is 2(3?) SRT-10s here as private imports.
    Chief of Secret Police and CFO - Brotherhood of Jelly
    No Mr. Craig, I expect you to die! On the inside. Of heartbreak. You emo bitch

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    it's OK, MrK, your' thinking of longtidutonal leaf springs.
    The 'vette uses TRANSVERSE leaf springs
    Ah, I see.
    www.crash.net/motoring/roadcars/news/home/

Ah, I see.
    THought that was the issue ..... had a picture of you mentally drawing a longtitudonal leaf spring and thinking as all mad
    ( Course we are still the latter )
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Ah, I see.
    FYI, the C6R (and C5R) only use coils because of how much easier and quicker they are to adjust.

Quote Originally Posted by Slicks
    FYI, the C6R (and C5R) only use coils because of how much easier and quicker they are to adjust.
    only for that or also because coils give the better handling?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Thread Information