Page 54 of 500 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664104154 ... LastLast

Thread: Galah Sessions

Quote Originally Posted by mmm_aapls
    Well this was done by the WRX club of Victoria and after that happened we sent a letter to Sheel asking them to explain why our cars were pinging. The response we got was that Sheel could not gaurentee that Optimax was infact 98 RON or higher. The only thing they could gaurentee was the MON (motor octane number). They said RON was determined by chemists, at the plant, and pollutants can reduce this number. MON on the other hand is detemrmed by running the fuel in a standardized engine with an adjustable compresion ratio. With the engine running at a standard speed and load the compression rati is increased until detonation is dectable. That is why I don't use Shell anymore, only BP. Becasue BP actually gaurentee 98 RON.
    Wow, I'd never heard that. Should tell him. Do they at leats garantee that the 95 is actually 95? What about Caltex?
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

what about Shell's 100 octane stuff? and their 100 octane ethanol, do they garauntee that? i wanna stick it in the honda one day when i don't need it anymore..
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndclasscitizen
    Wow, I'd never heard that. Should tell him. Do they at leats garantee that the 95 is actually 95? What about Caltex?
    I'm not sure. I have used caltex vortex 98 and it seemed fine.
    MY05 Subaru WRX
    Magnaflow Exhaust
    Resonatrectomy
    127 Kw @ all 4 paws

From Shell's web site....

Shell Unleaded Petrol has a minimum Research Octane Number of 91
    Shell Unleaded 95 has a minimum Research Octane Number of 95 and is designed for use in many new vehicles which are designed to run exclusively on high octane fuels.
    Shell Optimax is a High Density, High Octane premium unleaded fuel. Shell Optimax is a highly refined high performance fuel which has been refined to a minimum of 98 RON.
    Shell Optimax Extreme has a RON of 100 as per the TDS http://www.shell.com/static/au-en/do...xtreme_tds.pdf

Shell Australia site...all info available here.. http://www.shell.com/home/Framework?...r_extreme.html

From BP's web site... http://www.bp.com/sectiongenericarti...tentId=7016833

BP Ultimate has a minimum Research Octane Number (RON) of 98.
    BP Premium Unleaded is a higher octane level fuel (95) than Regular Unleaded.
    Octane Number - Research (RON) - Higher than 95
    BP Regular Unleaded is a 91 octane grade fuel
    Octane Number - Research (RON) - Higher than 91

From Caltex's web site.. http://www.caltex.com.au/products_oi....asp?section=1

Caltex Vortex is a high-performance premium unleaded petrol with a research octane number of 95 minimum
    Vortex 98 has a minimum research octane number (RON) of 98

Quote Originally Posted by mmm_aapls
    yes the VP does have knock sensors but again they only tell the car if there is pre-detonation. So in the case of a VP, the engine cannot advance the timming as much as say an LS2. Say on 98 RON, it will never advance the timing enough for pre-detonation to occur. That is why a popular upgrade is to use different gears to advance the timing so that it uses higher octane fuel.

Another example is my Subaru. It can only run on 98 RON or higher. This is becasue the engine cannot retard the timming enough to avoid knock when using lower octane fuels. I found that out when we put some cars on the dyno using sheel optimax and a few of them started to knock.
    I know a bloke on another forum that works on ECU's and he has made many memcals over the years, He made one for his car he advanced the timing and was getting under 7 sec 0-100 times, But i wouldn't do that cause i like the engine alive

I refuse to use Shell petrol, Everytime i have used it my car or our old one have played up. Also has happen with Mobil and BP. Never had problems with Caltex in any car.
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

Anyone else having problems logging into Batracer ?

Yeah the sites not loading up at all for me
    I am the Stig

Thanks...at least i know it's not a problem on my end

I had this same problem a little bit ago when they did some upgrade really slow.
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

Still can't get onto the Batracer site Anyone been able to access it at all today ?

wait let me check
    people like u dont need to be on this go to supid land where your mind is ass - toyota4ever

ricers suck...pasta rockets for life - sicilian973-2

i can get on there
    people like u dont need to be on this go to supid land where your mind is ass - toyota4ever

ricers suck...pasta rockets for life - sicilian973-2

Damn...i havn't been able to log on since 9 am today. I have no idea what's going on. Anyone have any ideas what the problem may be ?

Thread Information