Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Who are the top 10 Australasian racing drivers of today and all time?

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon500
    Well i dint rate borck terribly highly because of his 3 championship wins...im rateing more of consistancy here...while he did achieve more then some of the others above him he still rated himself against the likes of jane and the raceing geohagen brothers.
    And on the note of radasich i would of rather mention mr franzovic who won a titel here (rember im talking local achievements radasich ios a fine driver but hasnt done so well in our caitgory)
    and its is very hard to mix historic figures with more current ones...
    and sorry if im not maeking much snese im off work for a few days im haveing my unwind drinks... if you want to talk about the subject take it slowly please

Well if you want to go by consistency, the why's Larry Perkins there? Sure hes got 7 bathurst titles to his name but he hasnt won a single championship. even still i cant think of any times hes won Bathurst without Brock or Ingall.

I'm yet to come up with a list so far, but definately Ambrose would be rating in the top 3. After all, in F3 he was beating Kimi Raikkonen and thats someone who gave Schumacher quite a solid challenge last year in F1
    I am the Stig

No Particular order, But these would make up my top 10

Bruce McLaren
    Jim Richards
    Peter Brock
    Allan Moffat
    Possum Bourne
    Colin Bond
    Chris Amon
    Alan Jones
    Mark Webber
    Scott Dixon

Other drivers are also mentioned would almost make the cut too ...

Mark Skaife, Dick Johnson, Larry Perkins, Paul Radisch, plus few others
    We work to live, and to live is to drive a BMW 330i at speed.

https://www.facebook.com/BMW330iMSport/

In no particular order for me its got to be

John Bowe
    Dick Johnson
    Bruce McLaren
    Mark Skaife
    Peter Brock
    Alan Moffat
    Sir Jack Brabham
    Jim Richards
    Marcos Ambrose
    Mark Webber
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho
    In no particular order for me its got to be

John Bowe
    Dick Johnson
    Bruce McLaren
    Mark Skaife
    Peter Brock
    Alan Moffat
    Sir Jack Brabham
    Jim Richards
    Marcos Ambrose
    Mark Webber
    Even more outrageous, not including both Amon and Hulme, shame on you, this is list of all times australasian drivers. (I think that there also a few Japanese drivers who could be included here, like Katayama or Suzuki)

well ive never heard of them 2 drivers so ive got no idea of their performance, what they raced, when they raced, who they beat etc.
    I am the Stig

well ive never heard of them 2 drivers so ive got no idea of their performance, what they raced, when they raced, who they beat etc.
    Denis Hulme was world champion F1 in 1967, and together with Bruce McLaren dominated the CanAm glory period in the McLaren M8 (The famous Bruce and Denny Show).
    Chris Amon is considered to be the best F1 driver never to have won a GP, having always been confronted with lots and I mean lots of bad lack. He was a works driver for Ferrari and won LeMans in 1966 driving a Ford.

I am afraid you included a few names in your list which are world famous, but unfortunately in Australia only.

I was only aware of Alan Bond and Sir Jack Brabham as being the only Australian's to win an F1 Championship, unless Hulme was from New Zealand, which makes sense
    I am the Stig

I was only aware of Alan Bond and Sir Jack Brabham as being the only Australian's to win an F1 Championship, unless Hulme was from New Zealand, which makes sense
    Alan Bond never won an F1 championship. He even never participated in an F1 race, see attached link

http://www.oldracingcars.com/bydriver/watn.asp?letter=B

Hulme as well as Amon are from NZ, but so is BruceMcLaren.

my heads not in the right place today.........i was supposed to say Alan Jones, not Alan Bond, i dunno what im thinking of......

well i had no doubt about Bruce McLaren, but still until recently i've never heard of Hulme and Amon
    I am the Stig

Well if you want to go by consistency, the why's Larry Perkins there? Sure hes got 7 bathurst titles to his name but he hasnt won a single championship. even still i cant think of any times hes won Bathurst without Brock or Ingall.
    Well where is larry in my list? ummm if i recall i didnt put him in there....
    Oh and henk you migh be interested to hear that after allan jones retierd from f1 that he manged Glenn Seton (my faveorite driver) Nissan team in his skyline days in the late 80s and then when Seton switched to a ford he also partcipated as Glenns Co driver and had a few sucsusses in the sandown 500 race but didnt get much luck in the bathurst 1000 race....pity

my heads not in the right place today.........i was supposed to say Alan Jones, not Alan Bond, i dunno what im thinking of......

well i had no doubt about Bruce McLaren, but still until recently i've never heard of Hulme and Amon
    Anyway, Alan Jones surprisingly is also not in your list.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon500
    Glenn Seton (my faveorite driver) Nissan team in his skyline days in the late 80s and then when Seton switched to a ford he also partcipated as Glenns Co driver and had a few sucsusses in the sandown 500 race but didnt get much luck in the bathurst 1000 race....pity
    I am afraid that's another driver who's world famous in Australia only!

well i realise that Larry Perkins wasnt on your list Falc, but a high amount of other Australasian members did include him and what i though went with your consistency argument.

well henk, i was going to put Alan Jones on there, but i decided that Mark webber to me is a better driver, plus i dont know anythign about Alan Jones oher than he drove in the turbo era and won in 1980 and i dont really feel like following everyone else like a sheep and put him on my list or anyone else on my list if i dont know anything about them. i put those down who i knew about so i could justify my choice
    Last edited by fpv_gtho; 03-15-2004 at 02:27 AM.
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by henk4

the thread isnt specifying we choose who we think are the 10 best world known australasian drivers, just who we think are the 10 best from this region
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    Well Glenn seton raced in the japenese touring cars for a time and enjoyed moderate sucsess and alos has enjoyed numerous pacific races....im un aware if hes enjoyed as much sucess there...

Thread Information