Page 6 of 27 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Rice burners

Red face civic commercial

did anyone see that civic commercial with all the suped up civics coming in and surrounding the crappy looking civic?

Some of you make such poor arguments it isn't even worth looking at.

All I am going to say is this: Many of you are being so narrow minded you are invalidating any arguments you may, or may not, have.

guyt: Learn how to spell at least somewhat coherently. I am in no way an English major, but I certainly can type a proper sentence.

Some of you need to learn how to use punctuation. Periods are our friend. They indicate the end of a sentence.

Your arguments will seem much more valid if you learn to type properly.

Now. It is perfectly possible to buy a 1990 Civic hatch, drop a 1.8L vtech motor in it and turbo charge the piss out of it and make it fast. You can spend money on paint, body kits, rims, suspension and in the end you have a fast straight line car.

It is also entirely possible to buy a 1990 Camaro with a 305. Keep the motor in it, supercharge it, swap the suspension. Now you have an extremely fast Camaro that will blow the doors off that civic in every possible way.

Many of you forget that STYLE is all in the eye of the beholder. Therefore your opinions on which cars look better are IRELLIVENT. End of story.

Many of you are also overlooking some key factors which conveniently make v8 powered vehicles seem like dinosaurs.

Here are some facts:

If it isn't impressive to make 350 horse power out of a 5.7L, then it is as equally unimpressive to make 300 horse power out of a 2.0L with 19.6 pounds of boost.

Ferrari and Lambo are not exactly known for their reliability. Therefore when Viper uses an 8.3L to make 500HP and 500ft/lbs of torque, there might be a reason.

American car enthusiasts tend to like to work on their own vehicles in their own garage. A viper v10 is simple enough that anyone with half a sense of mechanics could work on it. Try that with a Ferrari.

HP/L is IRRELEVANT. Power to weight ratio of the car, and power to weight ratio of the ENGINE are what matters.

120HP/L means nothing unless the power is usable. Ever driven an S2000? Didn't think so, so shut up.

Originally posted by cobrapower
    And Egg Nog just furthers my point, if American cars are so poorly built and out of date, then why do they do so well against the japanese imports? If it takes technology to make an import race on par with an american car, then why waste the money on upgrading, when you can just as easily get what you want on a car that is still stock. If you want to spend the money on those little cars, then go ahead. I was just wondering what sense of logic was behind putting all that money in to get the same results as an american car.
    the performance of a product or the sales of it , in no way corelate(sp?) to the products quality or value.
    Still don't get it? aight, the greatest mistake Americans did was hewlp Ford sell all those crappy 4.6L Mustang gts and cobras. OMG, I HATE those Mustangs!! It was like people had a choice of a Firebird Formula,Ram-Air, or Firehawk, ALL ARE CONSIDERABLY BETTER, FASTER THAN ANYHING FORD PRODUCED IN THE 90'S.
    I guess the majority of folks like to waste money. (cmon, 4.6L, same motor in my old 94 Grand Marquis sans different cam, exhaust, etc.) Whiney ass americans who would trade performace for the same (almost) price just to have a higher seat? Less power, bland looks, NO SIX SPEED, not even a 5.3 L or 5.7, **** (what, u want a bib with your child seat?) See, the same thing goes for a good protion of import drivers. No more GOOD v-8's around, cmon the new cobra still icks assholes for lunch and dinner, a RX-8 can keep up with it on the track for cryin out loud. So , to a few it seems more logivcal to buy a fuel effiecnt car, and actually make it fast as a gay ass stang(some people actually pay for their own damn gas,lil mommy and daddie pricks still mouching of da fam need not apply)
    There is this joke about hondas....but here it is with ford,
    Ehm, Mustangs are like tampons,,EVERY PUSSY HAS ONE.
    Just because you can afford it, doesn't make you a good driver.

Talking what ho?

Originally posted by cobrapower
    And Egg Nog just furthers my point, if American cars are so poorly built and out of date, then why do they do so well against the japanese imports? If it takes technology to make an import race on par with an american car, then why waste the money on upgrading, when you can just as easily get what you want on a car that is still stock. If you want to spend the money on those little cars, then go ahead. I was just wondering what sense of logic was behind putting all that money in to get the same results as an american car.
    the performance of a product or the sales of it , in no way corelate(sp?) to the products quality or value.
    Still don't get it? aight, the greatest mistake Americans did was hewlp Ford sell all those crappy 4.6L Mustang gts and cobras. OMG, I HATE those Mustangs!! It was like people had a choice of a Firebird Formula,Ram-Air, or Firehawk, ALL ARE CONSIDERABLY BETTER, FASTER THAN ANYHING FORD PRODUCED IN THE 90'S.
    I guess the majority of folks like to waste money. (cmon, 4.6L, same motor in my old 94 Grand Marquis sans different cam, exhaust, etc.) Whiney ass americans who would trade performace for the same (almost) price just to have a higher seat? Less power, bland looks, NO SIX SPEED, not even a 5.3 L or 5.7, **** (what, u want a bib with your child seat?) See, the same thing goes for a good protion of import drivers. No more GOOD v-8's around, cmon the new cobra still icks assholes for lunch and dinner, a RX-8 can keep up with it on the track for cryin out loud. So , to a few it seems more logivcal to buy a fuel effiecnt car, and actually make it fast as a gay ass stang(some people actually pay for their own damn gas,lil mommy and daddie pricks still mouching of da fam need not apply)
    There is this joke about hondas....but here it is with ford,
    Ehm, Mustangs are like tampons,,EVERY PUSSY HAS ONE.
    Just because you can afford it, doesn't make you a good driver.

Re: what ho?

Originally posted by MoMurda
    *.*
    Did you even read my post? Spell chick, grammar check and proper punctuation will help your post come across much more persuasively. Also, removing statements like "OMG I HATE those Mustangs" will make your post sound less like somebody’s whiney loud mouthed, and useless, opinion. Instead the mind will interpret it as fact, and thus it will actually make an impact on the reader.

Originally posted by MKielbasa
    Some of you make such poor arguments it isn't even worth looking at.

........... yada yada yada .... blah blah blah ........... etc ........

Many of you forget that STYLE is all in the eye of the beholder. Therefore your opinions on which cars look better are IRELLIVENT (... duh? .....) . End of story.

........ more blah blah blah ............ etc

Ferrari and Lambo are not exactly known for their reliability. Therefore when Viper uses an 8.3L to make 500HP and 500ft/lbs of torque, there might be a reason.

American car enthusiasts tend to like to work on their own vehicles in their own garage. A viper v10 is simple enough that anyone with half a sense of mechanics could work on it. Try that with a Ferrari.

HP/L is IRRELEVANT. Power to weight ratio of the car, and power to weight ratio of the ENGINE are what matters.

120HP/L means nothing unless the power is usable. Ever driven an S2000? Didn't think so, so shut up.

My little small minded IRRELEVANT friend - don't presume to enter our discussions and criticise anyone until you can claim to have driven more types of cars here than anyone else. Not only can you not spell, your statements are only your opinion and NOT fact.
    HP/L is important if the engine is NA, and yes KW/Kg is also important.
    Ferraris and Lambos were hand built and only in recent years has the quality improved. Maintenance of the Ferrari, at least the '81 308GTSi that I owned, WAS easy - it had to be - I replaced the clutch three times in as many years.
    Style - we all like certain cars more than others but 90% of classic cars are appreciated by ALL and therefore not IRRELEVANT (note spelling).

So go away NOW and we might talk to you again when you apologise for being as big a moron as our Sth Afrikaan friend 'gut'.
    I shall name you 'DWEEB too'.
    A pox - a pox I say -
    a pox on all those that cling to the use of the oil-burning horseless carriage and pollute the King's highways and byways.

Originally posted by ozexige
    My little small minded IRRELEVANT friend - don't presume to enter our discussions and criticise anyone until you can claim to have driven more types of cars here than anyone else. Not only can you not spell, your statements are only your opinion and NOT fact.
    HP/L is important if the engine is NA, and yes KW/Kg is also important.
    Ferraris and Lambos were hand built and only in recent years has the quality improved. Maintenance of the Ferrari, at least the '81 308GTSi that I owned, WAS easy - it had to be - I replaced the clutch three times in as many years.
    Style - we all like certain cars more than others but 90% of classic cars are appreciated by ALL and therefore not IRRELEVANT (note spelling).

So go away NOW and we might talk to you again when you apologise for being as big a moron as our Sth Afrikaan friend 'gut'.
    I shall name you 'DWEEB too'.
    Just for fun I just run my original post through a spell check and it didn't find any spelling errors. *shrug* Many, MANY people on message boards place their opinion as fact. That is almost the main purpose of discussion. To place out an opinion in order to bounce it off of others.
    Personally, I don't need to place a list of vehicles I have had the pleasure in driving just to make my opinions valid. Neither does anybody else.
    I will say this though; I have driven enough examples of automotive engineering to be able to hold to my statement that HP/L is a useless measure of an engines worth.
    At the end of the day when all is said and done, a lower HP/L, higher torque engine will have given you a more satisfying drive.

Also: Can you deni that if I removed all punctuation, added horrid spelling and then reposted your thoughts, they would look less valid?
    A simple period can go a long way.

Re: civic commercial

Originally posted by levin_666
    did anyone see that civic commercial with all the suped up civics coming in and surrounding the crappy looking civic?
    I couldn't tell what you were talking about

ALL Civics look crappy.

civic's are sexy

and I think

all Nicademus's look crappy

well its confirmed, maturity is not a prerequisite for posting on this board

Amazing! Somebody here actually agrees that HP/l can be important! But, as mkiel states, high torque at the expense of high power often provides a better drive. The solution....buy a car with both! There are lots of good cars in between.

Oz, you live in Australia, what do you think of the new XR6 turbo? A good medium? There are faster gadgets, but I thought it was a pretty good steer. Actually I probably should have mentioned that on the Aussie car page. Ah well.

Originally posted by Nildo
    Amazing! Somebody here actually agrees that HP/l can be important! But,

Oz, you live in Australia,
    have mentioned that on the Aussie car page. Ah well.

Where are you guys? - somebody - everybody - enter your LOCATION, please.

Anybody here notice that this forum takes up way to much of our time?

Or is it that we all have nothing better to do - especially the ones with more than 100 posts or the weirdo's with more than 500 posts.
    A pox - a pox I say -
    a pox on all those that cling to the use of the oil-burning horseless carriage and pollute the King's highways and byways.

Originally posted by MKielbasa
    Just for fun I just run my original post through a spell check ...........

A simple period can go a long way.
    Funny, I didn't run your post through a spell-checker.
    I do however, appreciate your more conciliatory tone - you have regained your status - in my opinion.

BTW - punctuation and spelling is NOT important (unless you criticise it with your own grammatical errors 'but I certainly can type a proper sentence.')- this is a forum - we are talkin' to each other. Some of us don't take a breath between sentences. 'Periods are our friend. They indicate the end of a sentence.' you gotta be kiddin', where'd you pinch that from - maybe some other forum?

Why not tell us ALL the cars you've driven - maybe in a new thread? - we'll all have a good 'chin wag'.
    A pox - a pox I say -

I agree. I like v-8s alot too, and would prefer them WAY over a 4-cyclinder, but when your a teenager that is scarce for money and you need something reliable and good on gas, that has some good handling and speed charectiristics, then you decide on a small reliable honda. I personally am against people that add body kits and spruce up there import with louds of accessories and body kits and a 5-zigen exhaust to make it sound loud and annoying.

I dont mind driving a honda, i personally am interested in a '91 Prelude 2.0S. They are a nice attractive car, and com with a 5-speed manual. They are peppy little things too. But, i am not going to put shit body kits on it or a annoying exhaust. I just like the car and i will drive it hard and fast without putting any mods on. Except of course a couple little "under-the-hood" mods for a little extra performance boost. If i did this would i be considered a rice burner??

Originally posted by fastbird94
    I agree. I like v-8s alot too, and would prefer them WAY over a 4-cyclinder, but when your a teenager that is scarce for money and you need something reliable and good on gas, that has some good handling and speed charectiristics, then you decide on a small reliable honda. I personally am against people that add body kits and spruce up there import with louds of accessories and body kits and a 5-zigen exhaust to make it sound loud and annoying.

I dont mind driving a honda, i personally am interested in a '91 Prelude 2.0S. They are a nice attractive car, and com with a 5-speed manual. They are peppy little things too. But, i am not going to put shit body kits on it or a annoying exhaust. I just like the car and i will drive it hard and fast without putting any mods on. Except of course a couple little "under-the-hood" mods for a little extra performance boost. If i did this would i be considered a rice burner??
    Great post 'fast bird' -

You're not a 'rice burner' because you don't defend Japanese cars against ALL odds.

I will even confess to owning a 4WD
    Su... Su.. Su..b .. ru (I said it?) -
    I couldn't afford a real 4WD in those days.
    A pox - a pox I say -

Thread Information