Thread: Any old school auto-crossers on here?

Any old school auto-crossers on here?

I just started auto crossing my 71 MGB GT. I've taken some shit for the amount of roll in play, so I've had enough of that. Its a road car, with rally springs in the rear, poly bushes and heavy duty shock valves all around, 5/8" sway bar in front, 15" minilites and decent all season tires. Problem is, although I'm having fun, there's a bit too much roll goin' on. I want a flatter corner without sacrificing the driveability I have. Any suggestions that won't lower it?

Johnnynumfiv will soon be your friend here.

welcome to UCP

let us celebrate with this song and a doobie
    Attached Files Attached Files
    badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger

Is there any place to mount a torsion bar underneath in the front?

d-quik; awesome vid.
    Egg Nog; I already installed a larger sway bar, it seems I may need an even larger one! Thanks though! Keep it coming!

The best suggestion I can think of if you want better body control AND good on-road driveability is a set of dampers with bound and rebound adjustability. That should help get you the best of both worlds, but it most certainly wouldn't be cheap unfortunately.
    uәʞoɹq spɹɐoqʎәʞ ʎɯ

Quote Originally Posted by mattmacklind
    d-quik; awesome vid.
    Egg Nog; I already installed a larger sway bar, it seems I may need an even larger one! Thanks though! Keep it coming!
    Tried front and rear strut braces?

THe MGB becomes a buggar to steer at lower speeds if you put the heavier anti-roll bar. The V8 one's a straight drop in and will make the roll less. BUT in tight autocross circuit you'll find it hard work.
    Fitting a DeDion on the rear will help and is better suited to tarmac events.

We ralleid an MGB GT for 3 seasons. We gave up trygin to make it handle or be fast within the confines of the regulations. The engine is just too heavy and not enough power for the heavy MGB body. It was impossible to get it to throttle steer with out running crazily high pressures in the rears -- which made it a real nightmare on the faster corners

The MGB is good for attracting attention, but ultimately you will find out why it wasn't raced/rallied very successfully durign it's life It IS good fun driving something different and best to take enjoyment from that

You can convert to coil-overs if the regs permit. THAT helps a lot.

PS: THAT is not a lot of body roll for an MGB GT
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

I found slamming my car to the ground with lowering blocks and springs made it roll a lot less, also adding a larger front sway bar helped. But, since you don't want to lower it, you might find that better tires will help get more traction which will lessen the effects of the body roll.

Here's a pic of mine:

PS. It's lower than that now.
    "We went to Wnedy's. I had chicken nuggest." ~ Quiggs

Just realised something ......
    What ratings are those "rally" springs ?
    I suspect you've got softer springs for stage rally rather than stiffer springs for tarmac ?
    We ran "fast road" springs on the rears ( damned if I can remember the rating, I'll try and check back the invoices ) There's a pic of us at full "tilt" on a tarmac event at http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum...0&d=1091758430 in the thread http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum...ight=caledonia

We ripped the exhaust in the forest due to lack of suspension tho' .
    There are three run in our post-historic events.
    You basically can't win with an MGB in "road spec" , but you can have some fun along the way
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Thread Information