Thread: My other ride...

My other ride...

I just detailed my other car, thought I might post some pics. Its an 84 300D Turbo diesel, 244K, midnight blue. I neglected it for a few months and it was covered with bird crap and other natural rubbish. Nice riding car and very economical.

looks great! That interior is awesome, how much was it?

Can you do the "egg-nog" test please to prove it is yours ? Just stick a piece of paper with your username on the shifter and take a picture. Then post it here as proof. We have had a little bit too much of those fanboys claiming they owned an Enzo or McLaren F1 or such...

PLEASE put location in your UCP profile

See, I'm intrigued by the yellow driving lights. WITHOUT knowing the location I have to ask you. If you were France ( for example ) I wouldnt'.

So, why the yellow driving lamps ?
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Absolutely stunning 300 you have there. My dad has the 300SD Turbo-Diesel in a sky blue from the same year. (Actually, 1983 to be exact)

I have posted my location in my profile, its Kansas City, Missouri, USA. Thanks for the compliments. I didn't expect very many as these cars are fairly common in the US (especially in California), and probably worldwide, and this contributes to the rather un-Mercedes like repair bills as parts are readily available and not nearly as expensive as SL, SD, or SDL versions, which are very nice cars of course, somewhat less common, and somewhat more expensive. Its become somewhat "trendy" to run them off of used cooking oil.

This car is not in as good of shape as it looks after the detailing. There is some rust on the driver side rear wheel well, for example, that will require new sheet metal to repair properly. I was also hit in a parking lot on the passenger side front door, left a large dimple with deformation at the door hinge point, which needs to be pulled out or the parts need to come off and be "hammered" into shape. Guess which one I'm choosing! LOL! The accident happenned 2 years ago while I was studying to take my state's bar exam (law license test) and I was short on $$ so I just took the check, as a city water truck did the damage. The interior is in fantastic shape, though, and very comfortable on long drives. The car will do 100 mph all day and gets pretty good mileage. Brakes are fantastic.

I bought the car from a family friend for $1700. She wanted more than twice that, and it may have been worth more, but with the rust I paid what the Blue Book said it was worth, and its definitely not an appreciating classic. I've had it for 3 years, driven about 20K miles, and only needed to repair the water pump and the brake lines and pads. I gave it new tires (decent, all season Firestone's, nothing fancy) and now I'm replacing the muffler, which costs $200 with labor at a BMW/MB only shop, could be less at a general "muffler shop". I'll post pics of the shops lot when I take it in (had to order the muffler), there's some real classics there, like Tii's and E30 M3's, older (like from the 60's) 190's, etc. I also applied to MB for the mileage badge. Can't wait to get another one at around 300K.

Anyway, this was a one owner car, with full records and the window sticker. The car sold in 1984 for $32,140. Sunroof was the only option on the sticker, wish it had heated seats.

The amber fog lights were standard in the US, as the all clear European lights did not meet "US" requirements. This is as I have learned from other, MB specific sites, and it surprised me as I think the car looks more European with the separate lights than with the all clear Euro spec housing. Here's the Egg Nog test and another shot, and an odo shot, as well as the Egg Nog on my other car, the real classic IMO.

So, why the yellow driving lamps ?
    Those are very common on that generation of mercedes. See them all the time around here.

Thats a really nice mercedes. I've kept my eyes open for the old ones lately, and checking prices. If time and funds allow, maybe I'll get something similar for myself in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by RobPorsche
    Thats a really nice mercedes. I've kept my eyes open for the old ones lately, and checking prices. If time and funds allow, maybe I'll get something similar for myself in the near future.
    It's a great car to drive. Just be wary of maintenance, it can be $$$$.

Nice, as it seems to be in real good condition as well!
    http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31695
    - Are YOU listed? -

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella
    It's a great car to drive. Just be wary of maintenance, it can be $$$$.
    good to know, thanks. I may just have to settle for less.

Any 300/W123 series MB will be affordable to run. The mechanics are very basic, and even throwing in the diesel aspects, its really a gussy'ed up truck or G series type thing. If you can find a good one don't hesitate, you will be rewarded. A good one is one with a good body, good brakes, good electrics, (read solid). If it starts and runs and doesn't have rust issues, in short, its a good one.

Looks ok to me

I've also found that with a little bit of involvement (and careful selection) the old Mercs like yours can prove to be cheap, dependable and painless to own. 'Relaxed & comfortable' has been my experience too, after a stellar run from the W108 280S and now with two W126s ('84 S-Class) for wife & me

Cheers matt, both very nice cars.
    Thasnk for the info on teh spots, didnt' know US had legal requirement on yellow.... so used to seeing them and thinking "french"
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

We used to have one of those exept it wasnt a TD. It was slow as hell but the inside had leather seats and electrical roof and such. For a kid I was back then it was nice to sit in. I might consider an old mercedes as my next car to get.

Thread Information