Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Who will be the next world champion?

I didnt realise that this had been threaded
    The next world champion in my view will be Kimi Raikkonen. He had a great season last, and has great talent and promises to stay that way for years to come. Mclarens problems this year will not get in his way, next year they should be cleared up and with Montoya on the same team, the Manufacturers championship seems highly likely for Mclaren. I can also predict a friendly but entertaining rivalry between Juan Pablo Montoya and Kimi Raikkonen, just like the Senna - Prost rivalry at Mclaren in 1988. With this pressure from Montoya Kimi will overcome him and Schumacher will become overshadowed in the race between Montoya and Kimi. But i think Kimi will come out on top and be champion in 2005. Lets face it..Ferrari are never going to allow Barrichello to become a rival to Schumacher which i do not agree with at all. I personally favour Williams and Webber should be heading to replace Montoya for 2005, which i think will become a great relationship and Webber will be able to use his talents fully. As for Ralf ( my personal favourite driver ) I do not see him staying at Williams for 2005, as his relationship with the team is not as strong as it used to be, he will head to Toyota and Villeneuve or Coulthard should take his place. Button is also a likely contender for the title but i think his time will be in a couple of years to come. Alonso also has great potential and a fight between himself and Button should be interesting as i think that they are both on the same level right now. But we will have to see

My bet will be on Kimi too. He had great talent and prove to be very consistent, provided the team give him a good car. I'm a big fan of McLaren for years, although the team's performance this year is mediocore, i think they will come back, and hope they make good use of Paragon to make a better future for their team

it seems to be the opinion of everyone, that Raikkonen will be the next champ after Schuey and after Kimi it will be between Webber and Button
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho
    it seems to be the opinion of everyone, that Raikkonen will be the next champ after Schuey and after Kimi it will be between Webber and Button
    Kimi is a good driver, but I don't think he will be WDC because he isn't the "complete package" which the sponsors require.
    His lack of comment about the McLaren team situation will come bak to haunt him and he'll be branded "not aggresive" for the approach he's taking and his lack of spirit to push.
    It's been too early to know for sure, but Mika was NOT a great stest driver and was reportedly not that capable in working on car development. But very good at the final 'tweaks'. Here's a conspiracy theory for you to enjoy ...
    McLaren's inability to build and deliver a race car has been in the same timeframe as them making it clear to DC that he wouldn't be wanted. Do you think DC spent last and this year NOT committing to the hard-graft in the team he spent 6 years doing with no recognition from Ron ? and the consequence is they don't have the early input on chassis and setup that are crtitical to providing a car the team can then tweak on -track for each race.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    Webber impresses me and I think he coudl be good.
    Can he be the best, I'm not so sure
    Apprentlywebber impresses shcuie with his determination and never say die attitude...he also thinks he has what it takes to be a champion....
    Personally i think kimmi could be a champion he is a great driver and he is determined....and what people say doesnt mean a whole lot...people say hes not agressive...are these people drivers? I Think he could do it but wether he will or nots another thing...
    Niel Crompton (cromly) our ex racer turned comintator thinks that their is a possibility that jaguar should attempt to get more money out of the ford motor company and theyd be fools to get rid of webber...interesting thought....it would be a plesent supise to see jaguar win a world titel

well if Jaguar had the oportunity to keep Webber but let him go, that would be crazy, but if they knew that they were holding him back, and didnt have the funds to keep him and then let him go, you cant really call that craziness on Jaguars side though. agreed though, id really like to see Webber win with Jaguar above all else, but at the present time there simply isnt the reliability or speed in the R5
    I am the Stig

Well they have found wither speedor form to get the car a front row start this year...thator a light fuel load and the best tyres they had....but i think with the slightupsthey have had this year hopefully people will show more intrest and pur more money into to the team...that and good development work is what they need i think...but imno exbert in f1...I am also of the beliefe that with effort,soul,good people and a bit of money that any team has the potential to do well...and with the first 3 are at least entiteld to some praise at the least

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    Kimi is a good driver, but I don't think he will be WDC because he isn't the "complete package" which the sponsors require.
    His lack of comment about the McLaren team situation will come bak to haunt him and he'll be branded "not aggresive" for the approach he's taking and his lack of spirit to push.
    Yes, but he does not lose trust with the team and is helping them get back to their old succesive ways. He may not be aggresive at the moment but it all lies down to where you are on the grid, which is currently far from the front and that is because the car is not upto standards not Kimi. Button has been superb so far but when he started from down the grid in barcelona he did not have a chance to perform aggresively towards the front runners. Kimi could have been telling the press how much he 'hates the new car' or 'wishes he was driving for a different team that will let him use his talents to the full'. But he keeps away from the press and keeps his head down with the team. Some say Coulthard is trying harder to win Mclaren points but remember, he only has one year left, he has nothing to lose and he knows that. Remember, Ferrari werent always ontop and schumacher wasnt always number 1. But they learnt from their mistakes and progressed to be the dominant team. A typical driver would take the first offer from another team but Kimi will stay and help Mclaren with their current problems and fight back for the championship in 2005. That determination is what makes a World Champion.
    Last edited by Cotterick; 05-18-2004 at 07:03 AM.

MICHAEL SCHUMACHER (oops capslock still on )

Quote Originally Posted by drakkie
    MICHAEL SCHUMACHER (oops capslock still on )
    please dont tell me you like Michael Schumacher *prays*

Quote Originally Posted by Cotterick
    Yes, but he does not lose trust with the team and is helping them get back to their old succesive ways. He may not be aggresive at the moment but it all lies down to where you are on the grid, which is currently far from the front and that is because the car is not upto standards not Kimi.
    He's not fighting on or off the track.
    A real leader would be IN press meetings saying how the team is working etc.
    He avoids these things.
    THAT will be his downfall in todays F1, sadly.
    Kimi could have been telling the press how much he 'hates the new car' or 'wishes he was driving for a different team that will let him use his talents to the full'. But he keeps away from the press and keeps his head down with the team.
    Compare him with someone like Rossi from MotoGP. When things were bad he was saying it AND working to get it fixed. Kimi's not doing either and based on past experience is NOT good at leading the test work. THAT is where DC excelled.
    Remember, Ferrari werent always ontop and schumacher wasnt always number 1. But they learnt from their mistakes and progressed to be the dominant team.
    Yep, imagine Ferrari with Ron at the helm/bar/boardroom/new factory
    A typical driver would take the first offer from another team but Kimi will stay and help Mclaren with their current problems and fight back for the championship in 2005. That determination is what makes a World Champion.
    NO driver has taken a first offer from anyone for at least a decade !!
    Kimi isn't capable of helping McLaren and DC hasn't the will to after so many years of Ron-speak. So McLaren will be in the doldrums until a driver who can assist in the setting up and development of a car arrives.
    THAT is what made Ferrari great. The combination of the BEST driver who can explain a car AND drive around it when needed *AND* a motivated team *WITH* a great leader(s) *AND* lots of money ( and FOCUS! )

Not to sound like the old grampa in the corner, but I've followed F1 for 30+ years. Spoken to some of the top drivers and designers. Spent time with pit-lane teams, mechanics and sponsors. Without the up-coming changes McLaren wouldhave been out of the top for another 2-3 years. The new formula will level the playing field and give them a chance again. BUT, if Ferrari retain Todt, Brawn and Schumacher then even a new formula won't help as they will move faster than everybody else.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

you should add to your signature: 'UCP's Official corrector of everybodies comments'

Quote Originally Posted by Cotterick
    you should add to your signature: 'UCP's Official corrector of everybodies comments'
    ah, grasshopper, one day YOU will be able to have wisdom

oh and btw, it's like the television.
    If you don't want to read my inputs, then skip my posts.
    With 30 years experience, I don't need anymore pats on the back or kudos *OR* BS

I assume we are talking after 2006, when MS contract with Ferrari will finish. If he then stops the new world champion will be next No1 Ferrari driver, and currently its anybody's guess who that will be. Might even be Montoya if Ron keeps on frustrating McL.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Thread Information