Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need some camera help

Need some camera help

Since I've got a summer job and somehow I earn more than I expected, there might some money to get myself a camera (finally). I've been doing some browsing on the net and I came up with the Fujifilm Finepix S5600, the Olympus SP 500 UltraZoom and the Kodak Easyshare Z650. They look good to me, but I'm no expert. Any help is appreciated...
    Last edited by jorismo; 08-06-2006 at 02:54 PM.
    "The best thing about this is that you know that it has to come from a country where drugs is legal"

Top Gear on the Vandenbrink Carver One

Canon S3 IS
    All those cameras have long zooms but no image stabilzation. Having those cameras at full zoom and not having IS might lead to blurry pics.
    Last edited by johnnynumfiv; 08-06-2006 at 02:58 PM.
    "We went to Wnedy's. I had chicken nuggest." ~ Quiggs

personally, kodaks arn't that great of camera's, nor is sony. sony has excellent camcorders but horrible digital still camera's. the best for small compact would be cannon. amazing quality and action pics. nikon is good for SLR. fuji uses nikon lenses. i kno the cheaper fuji's are crap but the higher end ones are good. i hope i was helpful
    Gone:
    09 Ducati Monster 696
    09 Audi Q5 3.2
    03 Infiniti G35 Sedan
    07 Honda Civic Coupe LX 5spd

Current:
    10 BMW 335d
    12 Audi Q5 2.0t
    10 VW Jetta TDI
    11 Ducati Monster 796

What's your budget?
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

I'd say save for an SLR. It's a mistake I learned the hard way.
    He came dancing across the water
    With his galleons and guns
    Looking for the new world
    In that palace in the sun
    On the shore lay Montezuma
    With his cocoa leaves and pearls

if he wanted an SLR, Nikon D50 is greatt! my bro has one
    Gone:
    09 Ducati Monster 696
    09 Audi Q5 3.2
    03 Infiniti G35 Sedan
    07 Honda Civic Coupe LX 5spd

Current:
    10 BMW 335d
    12 Audi Q5 2.0t
    10 VW Jetta TDI
    11 Ducati Monster 796

If you get the D50 (Nikon) get the 18-70 lens, it's a little more, but alot better. If you get the D70s, it comes with that lens. I haven't decided between one of those combos, but I'm leaning towards D70s because it has 2 dials and uses CF cards.

Point and shoots, I've heard the Fuji S9500 is really good.

Quote Originally Posted by my porsche
    I'd say save for an SLR. It's a mistake I learned the hard way.
    Couldn't agree more..I use a Canon Powershot S1 IS...which is ok...but a Digital SLR is the way to go....I am looking at a Canon EOS 350D for my next purchase..it looks like the best value for money that I can see. Save your money and buy the best you can afford...if you do you won't be sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by blackhonda
    Couldn't agree more..I use a Canon Powershot S1 IS...which is ok...but a Digital SLR is the way to go....I am looking at a Canon EOS 350D for my next purchase..it looks like the best value for money that I can see.
    I would strongly disadvise the 350d if you are more than a midget. The thing is so small and light, it really is uncomfortable for me to use. It takes good pictures, but its so lopsided. Save for a 20D if you must have Canon, but the Nikon D50 is just as good, if not better, and it's cheaper.

Save your money and buy the best you can afford...if you do you won't be sorry.
    That's good advice I wish I'd followed. My camera takes good pictures but it's very slow, and the pictures have tons of noise in them.

Sony DSC-H1... I've heard nothing but good things about it. My friend has one, says it's great.
    i was waiting on a moment, but the moment never came. all the billion other moments, were just slipping all away. i must have been tripping, we're just slipping all away. just ego tripping.

The fuji you mentioned is in my possesion I haven't found a suingle flaw of it yet

For a good deal i suggest you look at www.fotohuset.nl I bought mine there for 249€. The 512 mb xDcard cost 40€ after some talking a bag for 30€ and a battery charger with four excellent batteries for 40€. Total amount was 369€ which is about the price you pay at other stores

Quote Originally Posted by blackhonda
    I am looking at a Canon EOS 350D for my next purchase..it looks like the best value for money that I can see.
    Definately not. Grab a Pentax *ist DS2 or DL2 and the Pentax DA 18-55mm and 50-200mm zooms from the States over the net. You'll be set for ages.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Go SLR,

the only question there is whether you want to base yourself on Nikon or Canon. When you have taken that decision you can always expand. Do not economise on lenses, those are the determining factor.

UCP runs on Canon, 20D and 1D, but those are not available for entry level prices. You may be able to find good 20Ds on Ebay, as there is already a 30D. Avoid 10Ds as they have very often suffered from shutter problems.

Alternatively a 350D might be the best starter, but as somebody already said, it all depends on your budget.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndclasscitizen
    What's your budget?
    Don't know that yet. First I have to say what I earn with my summer job en then have to pay school. Probablythe maximum is 400 euro.
    "The best thing about this is that you know that it has to come from a country where drugs is legal"

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    Go SLR,

the only question there is whether you want to base yourself on Nikon or Canon. When you have taken that decision you can always expand. Do not economise on lenses, those are the determining factor.

UCP runs on Canon, 20D and 1D, but those are not available for entry level prices. You may be able to find good 20Ds on Ebay, as there is already a 30D. Avoid 10Ds as they have very often suffered from shutter problems.

Alternatively a 350D might be the best starter, but as somebody already said, it all depends on your budget.
    I know SLR is the best, but it's way above my budget. My dad has a analog SLR from Minolta (20 years old) and unfortunally it broke during last holiday

If it can't be repaired my dad will probably buy a 2000 euro camera which I then probably can use. I want my own camera and it shouldn't be too expensive. I'm sure I will get a really good camera in a few years when I can work some more and finished my school...

Thread Information