Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need some camera help

Quote Originally Posted by jorismo
    I know SLR is the best, but it's way above my budget. My dad has a analog SLR from Minolta (20 years old) and unfortunally it broke during last holiday

If it can't be repaired my dad will probably buy a 2000 euro camera which I then probably can use. I want my own camera and it shouldn't be too expensive. I'm sure I will get a really good camera in a few years when I can work some more and finished my school...
    advise your dad that the lense is the most important thing (and will last much longer than the camera )
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    advise your dad that the lense is the most important thing (and will last much longer than the camera )
    You should know my dad... if it turns out he needs a new one, he will first take 3 months to read dozens of test and books about digital camera's. I'm sure he will end up with some fancy and expensive Canon or Minolta or something like that...
    "The best thing about this is that you know that it has to come from a country where drugs is legal"

Top Gear on the Vandenbrink Carver One

Quote Originally Posted by jorismo
    You should know my dad... if it turns out he needs a new one, he will first take 3 months to read dozens of test and books about digital camera's. I'm sure he will end up with some fancy and expensive Canon or Minolta or something like that...
    I got a hardly used analog SLR set of minolta (6 years old) for sale if he is interested....(28-70 plus 70-200)
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    I got a hardly used analog SLR set of minolta (6 years old) for sale if he is interested....(28-70 plus 70-200)
    I'll keep that in mind, but I guess he first wants to see if it can be fixed. He got the camera from his father and he died a week after he got it... He wont get rid of it that easy...
    "The best thing about this is that you know that it has to come from a country where drugs is legal"

400 Euro will just get you a Pentax K110D + 18-55 DA kit from B&H when it comes out end of August but then you need to add shipping, tax etc. eBay will be your friend if you're not fussed about getting something brand new.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndclasscitizen
    eBay will be your friend if you're not fussed about getting something brand new.
    I really want something brand new because of the service. I once bought a cell phone on the internet and when it broke down I didn't have any garante. I don't want to end up in those troubles again...

Quote Originally Posted by zeppelin
    Sony DSC-H1... I've heard nothing but good things about it. My friend has one, says it's great.
    That's what I've got, it's great, until you try and shoot fast, or in low light, or focus in low light, hence why I'm wanting to move up to DSLR.

You really just need to go try out something like a Pentax *ist K110, a Nikon D50 and a Canon 350D. The Pentax and the Nikon will easily outshine the Canon in holding them, image quality wise they are all about the same. I wouldn't get the 18-55 (or 18-50 for pentax) lens that comes with any of them, just get the body and buy a good lens seperately, because the lens really determines the quality. If you can't afford an SLR now, wait and save, trust me, if you spend $450 on a point and shoot now, that's just $450 you wont have when you start to really want an SLR. (like I said, as I found out the hard way)
    He came dancing across the water
    With his galleons and guns
    Looking for the new world
    In that palace in the sun
    On the shore lay Montezuma
    With his cocoa leaves and pearls

Everyone seems to complain about the size and ergonomics of the 350D. I find it to be perfect, easy to carry around, and I always have a place to grip.
    i was waiting on a moment, but the moment never came. all the billion other moments, were just slipping all away. i must have been tripping, we're just slipping all away. just ego tripping.

you must have midget (sorry, small person) hands then? the size isn't TERRIBLE, but not great, and it's terrible lopsided, all the weight is on the far left side, even with just the kit lens. IMHO
    He came dancing across the water
    With his galleons and guns
    Looking for the new world
    In that palace in the sun
    On the shore lay Montezuma
    With his cocoa leaves and pearls

Quote Originally Posted by zeppelin
    Everyone seems to complain about the size and ergonomics of the 350D. I find it to be perfect, easy to carry around, and I always have a place to grip.
    If it fits your hand thats good for you, but that doesn't change the fact that it feels all plasticky and flimsy and like you could break it with your hand easy.

Quote Originally Posted by my porsche
    The Pentax and the Nikon will easily outshine the Canon in holding them, image quality wise they are all about the same. I wouldn't get the 18-55 (or 18-50 for pentax) lens that comes with any of them, just get the body and buy a good lens seperately, because the lens really determines the quality.
    I don't know about the Nikon kit, but the DA 18-55 gives really good images. I've seen heaps of brilliant pics taken with it, some just as good as with the DA 16-45mm f4.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Thread Information