Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Suspected scammage...

Suspected scammage...

As a few of my closer buds on here know, I've become gently addicted to eBay over the last few weeks

Just had a nice offer come through the post. You tell me what you think...

Ooo, look! An RS4 for £3000...

Quote Originally Posted by Some chap 'selling' this car
    Hello there,
    I appreciate that you contacted me. First of all,the car will be shipped from Italy where I`m located due to my job. I have a car from my job to drive here, so I can`t keep the 2000 Audi Rs4 anymore, pay insurance and all the associated taxes, as I have a 5 years contract here. It is very difficult for me to drive a right-handed car in Europe, so I`m forced to sell it, but my lost will be your gain.
    There is no outstanding finance on the car. It has not been stolen, has no damage, no scratches or dents, no hidden defects. It is in immaculate condition, meticulously maintained and hasn't been involved in any accident. The motor runs awesome. The tires are like new. The car meets United Kindom DOT and EPA guidelines so there will be no problems regarding UK
    Customs policy on receiving the car. The car comes with log book, HPI cleared, it is free of encumbrances and liens. You will get from me the keys and all documents to register the car into your name.
    Buy it now price is £3,000.00 with shipping/handling included. If the car is not how I`ve described it, I will offer a full refund, upon the return of the item in original condition (return postage at my expense).
    It will be insured during transportation and will be delivered in front of your door.
    The payment will be made through eBay and only after you will receive the car i will receive the payment.
    If you agree with these terms, please email me your full name and address and I will be more than glad to start to complete the transaction with you.
    Please reply asasp
    Regards,
    Quote Originally Posted by Me
    Why is it only £3000? I've seen something like this before- an RS6 Avant for £4500, almost exactly the same story... sorry to be cynical, but I like eBay and would rather not got burnt.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chappy again.
    It's only 3000GBP because is a car from the year 2000 , it's 6 year's almost 7 years old.And by whom to be burned?
    Hmmm.... any thoughts on this?

This sounds exactly how Bluey got done with the Supra he was gonna buy.

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndclasscitizen
    This sounds exactly how Bluey got done with the Supra he was gonna buy.
    Yeah, my dad had something similar once- an RS6 Avant, £4500 (not a chance!). Same location, same reason. A real shame. D'you think I should offer going to pick the car up and driving it back over Europe? See how he reacts to that...
    Last edited by IWantAnAudiRS6; 12-16-2006 at 03:52 AM.

He'd probably say sure thing, and then you'd get to Italy and go "WTF's my car mate?"

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndclasscitizen
    He'd probably say sure thing, and then you'd get to Italy and go "WTF's my car mate?"
    "If you go down to the woods today, you're in for a big surprise..."

Quote Originally Posted by IWantAnAudiRS6
    "If you go down to the woods today, you're in for a big surprise..."
    "...You'd better watch your back, you're gonna get screwed"

There's plently of auctions like this, and there's a post in the Ebay guides section precisely about these lame people.

I'd go with your idea of going there to pick it up. See whether hes got an excuse for why you cant get it straight from him.

Other than that, keep pretending you want it and get all his details. If he's smart, they'll be fake, but i guess its at least something to checkup on. Maybe you'll find something that'll prove without a doubt hes out there to rip someone off.

Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho
    I'd go with your idea of going there to pick it up. See whether hes got an excuse for why you cant get it straight from him.

Other than that, keep pretending you want it and get all his details. If he's smart, they'll be fake, but i guess its at least something to checkup on. Maybe you'll find something that'll prove without a doubt hes out there to rip someone off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Me...
    I'm not sure about this- £3000 on something I haven't seen is a little odd. Is there a way of viewing the car prior to buying it? I absolutely adore these cars, particularly in this colour, so it'd be a shame to let it get away. If you can send me the VIN so I can check it myself, I'd be grateful, as well as the registration. Pictures of both would be gladly appreciated, as well as a few other pictures- one of the underfloor storage in the boot, one of the glovebox, one of the rear seats and one more of the car as a whole.

Thanks very much!
    I figured that photos of more unusual places in the car would provide its existence in his hands, and the usual VIN/numberplate- which I can get checked...

Guest Guest
    just ask him t egg-nogg it!

Quote Originally Posted by Jakg
    just ask him t egg-nogg it!
    No.___

This looks too good to be true...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

I saw something like this once, a brand new Dodge Ram SRT-10 (the viper engine one) for $9,000 in Italy.

Quote Originally Posted by my porsche
    I saw something like this once, a brand new Dodge Ram SRT-10 (the viper engine one) for $9,000 in Italy.
    I'd never buy a car from Italy anyway They all have atleast 5 dents and 5 different kinds of paint of the FIAT Punto's racing in the cities

Quote Originally Posted by drakkie
    I'd never buy a car from Italy anyway They all have atleast 5 dents and 5 different kinds of paint of the FIAT Punto's racing in the cities
    You're missing the point. These people say that the cars are in Italy, and in actual fact, it's unlikely that the pictured/advertised car exists. They really shoot themselves in the foot by putting stupidly low asking prices for cars; presumably some fools have been conned by them.

No reply since I asked for other photos... I'll give him 'till tomorrow before I declare him a scammer!

Thread Information