Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Rhd Vs Lhd

I'm a righty living in a LHD country, and I have driven RHD in fact as well (the first time I drove was a rental manual car in Scotland!). Talking about the bulk of the population (right handers) LHD alows better gear shifting but worse wheel control, while RHD allows better wheel control but worse gear shifting. I really like shifting with my right hand, but steering is more importnat than shifting in my eyes, so it only seems natural to have the shifter in your left hand in a RHD car!

Canada - RHD

(Buck the trend!)

Most people are right handed.

In a LHD car the shifter is on the right.

Using logic, LHD FTW.

Shifting with my left hand might be a little sketchy, so I'll stick to the left. There are certain cars that would warrant learning to drive from the other side, but I can't afford the car or importation. I can't say that I have a true preference, because I have only ever driven LHD cars.
    Go n-ithe an cat thu, is go n-ithe an diabhal an cat

When you go Home, Tell them for us and say 'For your tommorrow, We Gave Our Today.'

Quote Originally Posted by Ingolstadt View Post
    And why most race tracks had more right turns than left ??!?!? coz most of them are clockwise ? hehe
    Correct.

And I have rhd in my seven race car, and i drive lhd on the road. I really don't feel the difference. It took me some rounds around the track, and then it was all normal.
    Last edited by LotusLocost; 03-06-2007 at 02:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by IWantAnAudiRS6 View Post
    Fanboy

I'll tell you where it matters, Koop- if you're British and you go over to France/Spain/Germany, you're up shit creek without a paddle, to be frank. I wish we all had the same- would make importing cars a lot easier. I'm left-handed, and manage perfectly fine with an RHD car. I managed perfectly fine with LHD as well.
    You got me there

Yeah, I guess you're right. Drove an old LHD Chrysler 383 once, meant whenever I got behind another car I was stuck as passing was not an option at all.

Still, having an LHD car in an RHD country could be fun, anyone ever saw that clip where this old lady picked up an extra steering wheel?

I've left and right hand drive cars on UK roads.
    Have done for years.
    It's not a problem at all.
    I also drive all round the world and again, no problem.
    Just HAVE to have a simple proces to ensure your braing "switches" otherwise you'll end up opening the window/door instead of changing gear

re passing ... it's all about observation. LHD in the UK and you can look up the inside to see the road is clear LONG before you coudl tell in a RHD and so overtake is easier/safer. Just do the maneouvres in differnet places. Scares the shit out of your passenger tho'

On the "wrong" hand changing gear, I'm confused by those who say that they need "control" to move a gearstick. It doesn't have to be accurate, LOTS of leaway for variation.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by The_Canuck View Post
    Most people are right handed.

In a LHD car the shifter is on the right.

Using logic, LHD FTW.
    Pretty shoddy logic; why take your "strong" hand off the wheel, when steering arguably requires the more more immediate response, coordination and precision?

America - LHD for me.

And arguing RHD vs. LHD is retarded.

Quote Originally Posted by Coventrysucks View Post
    Pretty shoddy logic; why take your "strong" hand off the wheel, when steering arguably requires the more more immediate response, coordination and precision?
    It would be easier for me anyway, I have much more precision in my right hand then left so it would make shifting feel smoother.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Canuck View Post
    It would be easier for me anyway, I have much more precision in my right hand then left so it would make shifting feel smoother.
    and in the meantime your other hand is failing to keep the car pointed in the right direction or respond to bump steer ???
    :scary:

Stiull confused how a hand makes a shift "smooth" when it's the feet that affect it and the hand only picks a gate
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    I actually drove a RHD car once...it was surprisingly easy to get used to. I could definitely get used to it.

Now, having to drive in the opposite lane like Britain...THAT would throw mw off.
    Last edited by jcp123; 03-06-2007 at 03:24 PM.
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post

Stiull confused how a hand makes a shift "smooth" when it's the feet that affect it and the hand only picks a gate
    Lets just say my precision isn't so great with my left hand, but a steering wheel only moves two directions (opposite too) so thats no big deal...

Perhaps if I was more experianced I wouldn't care

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella View Post
    America - LHD for me.

And arguing RHD vs. LHD is retarded.
    Rocke, you are retarted. It makes sense to argue about this due to the physiology of the human body!

Let's throw a Joker in the deck. RHD with the gearlever on the right side of the car.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella View Post
    Let's throw a Joker in the deck. RHD with the gearlever on the right side of the car.
    That would make for an unpleasant intrusion of the buttocks upon entry.
    John says:
    so i had to dump acid into the block tank today
    i'm afraid to fap
    cause i got it on my hands

Thread Information