Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Performing Car Maneuvers Official Thread

Land of hockey, maple syrup, and hot white chicks

Performing Car Maneuvers Official Thread

Hey guys, as some of you know from my thread last week I just got my G2. I was wondering how to perform certain car maneuvers, nothing too crazy. I thought we should start an official thread so that some of the more experienced members can teach us new guys. I mean things like donuts and tire burnouts seem simple enough but I would not perform them without some guides as to to do them for fear of causing undue damage to the car. Also if the tricks could be explained for both manual and automatic cars it would be appreciated. I would also ask that people do not post needless messages except to ask for how to perform certain maneuvers, how to execute them, editions to others instructions and of course to point out the risks of certain tricks to ensure safety of those performing it. I do not encourage to people to try these recklessly but to always perform these tricks with caution.

My requests are for now a simple burnout and donuts, in an automatic car.
    Be polite, Be professional, Be prepared to kill...

I imagine if you put it in 2nd or 3rd gear you might be able to pull em off...

Quote Originally Posted by bmwpower View Post

Quote Originally Posted by bmwpower View Post
    I don't know about burnouts and donuts, but to do a nice line, full acceleration plus jump on the brakes. Works great.

Sorry bmwpower, I really couldn't resist.
    Reginald *IB4R* says:
    it was a beautiful 35 seconds.
    David says:
    that's what she said

For automatics i've found that revving it up in neutral and then popping it into drive at high rpms is the best bet for burnouts, for donuts just do the same and then stay on the gas as you turn hard one direction, probably can't do that for too long tho.

The best is when you have an empty parking lot. Go in reverse as fast as you can, yank the e-brake while turning sharply to the left. as you spin, shift into second and correct your steering, and with practice, you've got yourself a 180 degree spin, from driving backwards to forwards, going the same direction the whole time tho
    Reutlingen/ San Francisco

Quote Originally Posted by TVRs4eva View Post
    For automatics i've found that revving it up in neutral and then popping it into drive at high rpms is the best bet for burnouts, for donuts just do the same and then stay on the gas as you turn hard one direction, probably can't do that for too long tho.
    Worst advice ever. That'll work until your gearbox explodes.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndclasscitizen View Post
    Absolutely, and I watched a friend try similar in a Falcon rental, immediately followed by a loud CRACK and then silence. All that survived was reverse gear, so he used that for a fifteen mile rat run through the burbs to sneak the car back at 4am to the rental agency

Burnouts can be fun but can also be really hard on your car, which isn't that much fun imho - or break your car, which is no fun at all

Quote Originally Posted by nota View Post
    Absolutely, and I watched a friend try similar in a Falcon rental, immediately followed by a loud CRACK and then silence.
    same here; back in highschool a friend tried to do a burnout in an SS using that 'technique'. had to push it back to his house, took a long time to live down...
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by TVRs4eva View Post
    For automatics i've found that revving it up in neutral and then popping it into drive at high rpms is the best bet for burnouts,
    Burnout = Burn transmissions?
    Money can't buy you friends, but you do get a better class of enemy.

For a manual it is pretty easy. Just rev the engine, on my suzuki to a guessed 2k under redline, then just let the clutch come up very quickly whilst flooring the throttle...

In rainy weather and especially with the old tires I used to have, you can hear it at almost every intersection.

A question from me now. Is there any way you can get a FWD car to drift except using things under the rear wheels, like dining trays ? I'd like to practice a bit on a parking lot, so that i have an idea of what it is like, for when it happens unexpected and unintentionally in daily driving...
    Last edited by drakkie; 05-31-2007 at 03:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by drakkie View Post
    For a manual it is pretty easy. Just rev the engine, on my suzuki to a guessed 2k under redline, then just let the clutch come up very quickly whilst flooring the throttle...

In rainy weather and especially with the old tires I used to have, you can hear it at almost every intersection.
    It must be exciting.
    Money can't buy you friends, but you do get a better class of enemy.

Quote Originally Posted by drakkie View Post
    A question from me now. Is there any way you can get a FWD car to drift except using things under the rear wheels, like dining trays ? I'd like to practice a bit on a parking lot, so that i have an idea of what it is like, for when it happens unexpected and unintentionally in daily driving...
    DO you want to have a permanent drift or just an oversteer on a corner ?
    I'm assuming the latter as you want to cope with the unexpected

So...... take the rear tyres up to 10 psi over normal and then go into a large car park in the wet. The back will break away REAL easy !!

Next, to induce it then use the handbrake. Turn in, hold the button in on the handbrake and sharply pull it up and then let it down asap ( keeping the button pressed so it doesn't lock on ) For this to be "realistic" though you really need a friend to do the handbrake as building the skill to operate 2 pedals, steering, gear change and handbrake all at the same time takes practise

FInally .... if you've plenty of space then go faster, turn in and quickly on/off the footbrake whilst keeping the throttle open. The engine stops the fronts locking letting the rears This doesn't work at low speed and left foot braking is another thing that takes practice to get modulation and effort right.

Best still, find local track, they usually run skid pan testing options adn you learn a LOT more in a car with outrigger wheels or 4-wheel independt auxiliary brakes on a wet surface and bald tyres Also the tutor can see what you're doing wrong very quickly and advise correction.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    DO you want to have a permanent drift or just an oversteer on a corner ?
    I'm assuming the latter as you want to cope with the unexpected

So...... take the rear tyres up to 10 psi over normal and then go into a large car park in the wet. The back will break away REAL easy !!

Next, to induce it then use the handbrake. Turn in, hold the button in on the handbrake and sharply pull it up and then let it down asap ( keeping the button pressed so it doesn't lock on ) For this to be "realistic" though you really need a friend to do the handbrake as building the skill to operate 2 pedals, steering, gear change and handbrake all at the same time takes practise

FInally .... if you've plenty of space then go faster, turn in and quickly on/off the footbrake whilst keeping the throttle open. The engine stops the fronts locking letting the rears This doesn't work at low speed and left foot braking is another thing that takes practice to get modulation and effort right.

Best still, find local track, they usually run skid pan testing options adn you learn a LOT more in a car with outrigger wheels or 4-wheel independt auxiliary brakes on a wet surface and bald tyres Also the tutor can see what you're doing wrong very quickly and advise correction.
    Thanks.
    10 psi's is how much bar exactly ? I think i'll try the handbrake option and fit my old worn tires again. About 8 km's from my house is this big helicoptre emergency landing spot. It is about 100 x 100 metre's big, but it doesn't have a flat surface, more like part tiled, part asphalt.. Is this a good idea ? If it hits a loose tile or something while oversteering, it seems pretty harmful to the suspension...

The high speed thingy seems pretty damn dangerous in my car.. Perhaps in my dad's car that doesn't roll as much as mine

Thanks for finding me a hobby for the weekend ! I just want to get some driving experience !

A classmate of me used to steal these plastic dining trays from McDonalds. then he strapped them to his wheels in some way and made speed... But he was driving something a bit more serious (400hp / 780 kg Civic)..

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndclasscitizen View Post
    I know, it actually happened to a friend of mine in his Accord, but the man asked for auto tranny advice, and i dunno how else to do em
    Reutlingen/ San Francisco

In an automatic?

Just wait for it to get wet, then give it a bucketload of welly out of a stop.

helps immensely if the car is RWD.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Thread Information