Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Just took my SAT

Just took my SAT

I just took my SAT. Absolutely the biggest waste of time in my life, yet I know I have to take it. Really hot at the testing center too, there was no A/C. I'm happy I got it over with though.

I know there are tests equivalent to the SAT's overseas too. Care to share information about them?

Comments and stuff welcome.
    Last edited by NSXType-R; 06-02-2007 at 12:15 PM.

What on earth is an SAT ??? It makes me think of this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAT

We don't have anything like that over here. Schools have to accept you no matter what. And you choose your school freely. €500/year (or less if you're in a low income family). There are some exceptions. When you did something like woodworking or other technical schooling (in your secondary education path) you probably need to do an exam before getting accepted into university. But I'm not 100% sure on the details.
    Medical Doctor studies do require exams to get in (and some other things as well but I can't recall them at the moment).
    Last edited by Lagonda; 06-02-2007 at 10:49 AM.

when i took it back in 98 or 99, the room i was in was about 85 degrees. absolutely miserable. but i did really well regardless.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

Quote Originally Posted by drakkie View Post
    What on earth is an SAT ??? It makes me think of this:
    Sorry, I was kinda vague there. It's a big stupid test to see how smart you are so that colleges know who to pick.

Quote Originally Posted by cmcpokey View Post
    when i took it back in 98 or 99, the room i was in was about 85 degrees. absolutely miserable. but i did really well regardless.
    Today it was just as bad, and humid too.

Happy to say that it's over.

I've taken it four times now second time I took it, it was on my birthday, and I was sick, hahah.

EDIT: My first SAT2 is tomorrow.....woo?
    "I'd hate to die twice. It's so boring" - Richard Feynman, last recorded words.

i took 2 SAT2s, and i got a 760 on one and a 790 on the other... im not that smart, so i think they might be easiert han they are supposed to be. maybe i got lucky with an easy cycle.

i took regular ones twice for real, and once in 7th grade. scored 960 in 7th grade. i felt proud of myself.

Quote Originally Posted by CdocZ View Post
    I've taken it four times now second time I took it, it was on my birthday, and I was sick, hahah.

EDIT: My first SAT2 is tomorrow.....woo?
    You can take it as many times as you want. You really shouldn't worry about SATII's if you did well in your class.

i took 2 SAT2s, and i got a 760 on one and a 790 on the other... im not that smart, so i think they might be easiert han they are supposed to be. maybe i got lucky with an easy cycle.

i took regular ones twice for real, and once in 7th grade. scored 960 in 7th grade. i felt proud of myself.
    A 760 and a 790 is almost all correct! SATII's are slightly easier than AP but slightly harder than the regular curriculum, but that's still an extraordinary feat! The test is only out of 800.

960 in 7th grade isn't too shabby either, considering that I just touched upon linear equations back then, forget about factoring.

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    You can take it as many times as you want. You really shouldn't worry about SATII's if you did well in your class.
    I shouldn't worry, regardless of how I did in class I do very well on standardized tests, but do....decently in school (ADD, I cannot physically listen and fully understand lectures).

I took them once in seventh and eighth grade as it is used as the qualifying test for a camp I wanted to get into (and loved). The first time in high school, I felt I could do better, and I did

EDIT: I've heard that the math, science and history SAT2's usually balance out with the equivalent AP tests in that the AP tests go into more information, whereas the SAT2's focus less on how much information is tested, but on how well you understand the concepts they function on. For example, there would be alot more different kinds of chemistry concepts on the AP test, and alot more things to remember, but the SAT2 would test how well you knew the concepts it did test harder than the AP tests questions on that same topic.

My school doesn't offer AP classes, and I have enough things to study for without signing up for AP tests, so I do not know for sure. But among the people I've talked to is someone who helps scoring the AP physics test....Any info on this?
    Last edited by CdocZ; 06-02-2007 at 11:26 AM.

I usually don't do so well on standardized tests but do wonderfully in school.

Go figure.

SAT's suck. I took them back in 02 or 03 and got an 1190; I wanted a 1200. I take tests really well.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

Quote Originally Posted by Quiggs View Post
    SAT's suck. I took them back in 02 or 03 and got an 1190; I wanted a 1200. I take tests really well.
    I hate when that happens. Why can't the damn scoring machines round up

so NSX-R did you take the one with the writing part.. i thought i had heard of them getting rid of that. i took mine long before that was instituted.

Quote Originally Posted by CdocZ View Post
    I shouldn't worry, regardless of how I did in class I do very well on standardized tests, but do....decently in school (ADD, I cannot physically listen and fully understand lectures).

I took them once in seventh and eighth grade as it is used as the qualifying test for a camp I wanted to get into (and loved). The first time in high school, I felt I could do better, and I did

EDIT: I've heard that the math, science and history SAT2's usually balance out with the equivalent AP tests in that the AP tests go into more information, whereas the SAT2's focus less on how much information is tested, but on how well you understand the concepts they function on. For example, there would be alot more different kinds of chemistry concepts on the AP test, and alot more things to remember, but the SAT2 would test how well you knew the concepts it did test harder than the AP tests questions on that same topic.

My school doesn't offer AP classes, and I have enough things to study for without signing up for AP tests, so I do not know for sure. But among the people I've talked to is someone who helps scoring the AP physics test....Any info on this?
    Actually, AP tests are harder than SATII's, I think. AP tends to go more in depth into the subject but SATII's go toward more general information.

so NSX-R did you take the one with the writing part.. i thought i had heard of them getting rid of that. i took mine long before that was instituted.
    Yes, there was an essay. That was the first part I took. I wish they did get rid of it. It's useless, most colleges end up looking at the test without the writing sections anyway, so you end up wasting your time writing.

Quote Originally Posted by Lagonda View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAT

We don't have anything like that over here. Schools have to accept you no matter what. And you choose your school freely. €500/year (or less if you're in a low income family). There are some exceptions. When you did something like woodworking or other technical schooling (in your secondary education path) you probably need to do an exam before getting accepted into university. But I'm not 100% sure on the details.
    Medical Doctor studies do require exams to get in (and some other things as well but I can't recall them at the moment).
    That gives you the benefit of the doubt at least. That system sounds better there than here. Schools get expensive real fast.

Medical Doctors need MCAT's here (big test), but there are ways to get around it.

Thread Information