Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: New California Laws effective 7/1/07

Quote Originally Posted by Fleet 500 View Post
    No, for '60s and '70s cars, I consider standard size to be cars like the Chevy Chevelle, Ford Torino and Plymouth Belvedere. Those were known as "mid-sized" cars.

For modern cars, something like a Ford Five Hundred or a Pontiac Grand Prix.

But you do have a point... for us limo drivers, all other cars seem "small."
    Well the Alfa Romeo 166 is 472cm long, which here is considered a quite big 4 door saloon. However modern executive saloons have overtaken it in terms of size. Most E-segment saloons are about 485-495cm long, which in my opinion is quite big.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Well the Alfa Romeo 166 is 472cm long, which here is considered a quite big 4 door saloon. However modern executive saloons have overtaken it in terms of size. Most E-segment saloons are about 485-495cm long, which in my opinion is quite big.
    Even here in the U.S., definitions of a "compact" car and a "full-sized" car have changed.
    For instance, my former '66 Dart GT, at 196.3"/498 cm, was classified as a "compact" car. (But at the high-end of compact).

The E-segment saloons you mention, at 485-495 cm (up to about 195") also would be considered "compact" cars in the '60s in the U.S. Now, they are referred to as "mid-sized." Some magazines even call the Toyota Avalon "full-sized."

For comparison, my '95 Town Car is 218.9"/556 cm long, my '69 Fleetwood is 228.5"/580 cm and my '76 Limo is 252.2"/640 cm.
    Last edited by Fleet 500; 06-26-2007 at 01:22 PM.
    '76 Cadillac Fleetwood Seventy-Five Limousine, '95 Lincoln Town Car.

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    Quote Originally Posted by my porsche View Post
    Wow, sucks for Californians. Although I love California (namely Santa Monica and Malibu), they have some goofy laws and the price of living is way too high.

Having been born and raised in California, you pretty much nailed it. Although I've never been to Santa Monica or Malibu...only times I've been to the Southland are to go down to Anaheim for Disneyland when I was younger and once to pick up a '66 Mustang at Cal State LA.
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

Even here in the U.S., definitions of a "compact" car and a "full-sized" car have changed.
    For instance, my former '66 Dart GT, at 196.3"/498 cm, was classified as a "compact" car. (But at the high-end of compact).

The E-segment saloons you mention, at 485-495 cm (up to about 195") also would be considered "compact" cars in the '60s in the U.S. Now, they are referred to as "mid-sized." Some magazines even call the Toyota Avalon "full-sized."

For comparison, my '95 Town Car is 218.9"/556 cm long, my '69 Fleetwood is 228.5"/580 cm and my '76 Limo is 252.2"/640 cm.
    size and space?

This is a 1959 Eldorado....which is seriously big.
    Now look at the seating space offered at the rear bench. (The front bench is sitting in a normal position)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    size and space?

Now look at the seating space offered at the rear bench. (The front bench is sitting in a normal position)
    I remember seeing a pair of Cadillacs in last year's Auto Retro. They were bloody huge.
    Visca Catalunya!

size and space?

It is still a 6-passenger car. Two-doors, of course, emphasize styling over interior roominess. That's why four-doors were available and that's why I prefer four-door luxury cars.
    My '69 Fleetwood, which is only 3.5" longer than that '59 Eldoardo Biarritaz Convertible, has a huge amount of rear leg room...

I remember seeing a pair of Cadillacs in last year's Auto Retro. They were bloody huge.
    There are large. Even the DeVilles from about 1958 to 1976, before the downsizing began.

It is still a 6-passenger car. Two-doors, of course, emphasize styling over interior roominess. That's why four-doors were available and that's why I prefer four-door luxury cars.
    My '69 Fleetwood, which is only 3.5" longer than that '59 Eldoardo Biarritaz Convertible, has a huge amount of rear leg room...
    any wheelbase figures available?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

any wheelbase figures available?
    No, sorry. I have Alzheimer's, remember?

Just kidding; I've got a lot of figures memorized...
    ---------------------- '59 Eldo-------- '69 FB
    Wheelbase------------ 130"----------- 133"
    Overall length--------- 225.0"--------- 228.5"

Note--- other cars, like mid-'60s full-sized Pontiacs (Catalina, Bonneville) also didn't have an excess of rear leg room due to the two-door hardtop styling.

There are large. Even the DeVilles from about 1958 to 1976, before the downsizing began.
    They were easily the biggest car in the show, bigger than Jaguars, a Facel-Vega Excellence or even Rollers and Bentleys.
    Visca Catalunya!

They were easily the biggest car in the show, bigger than Jaguars, a Facel-Vega Excellence or even Rollers and Bentleys.
    Yeah, I believe it. They have a lot of rear overhang, see:

Do you remember any particular year of Cadillac at the show?

Do you remember any particular year of Cadillac at the show?
    Old?

I don't remeber the year exactly, but I think they were early 60's. There was a 2-door and a 4-door.

Similar to the one henk posted.
    Visca Catalunya!

No, sorry. I have Alzheimer's, remember?
    no...

Thread Information