Thread: Ford Australia prepares for global role

Ford Australia prepares for global role

Ford Australia prepares for global role

Words courtesy of Drive.com.au

The next-generation Mustang may be engineered and sold locally as Ford plans to follow General Motors’ global RWD strategy by using its Australian outpost. By RICHARD BLACKBURN and CHRISTOPHER JENSEN.

Quote Originally Posted by Drive.com.au
    Ford Australia is to play a key role in developing the rear-wheel-drive underpinnings for a range of Ford vehicles due to start appearing on roads around the world in 2011.

At this stage, the plan, which is gaining momentum among senior Ford executives in Detroit, is to involve engineering input only from Ford Australia.

Drive understands there is potential for a right-hand-drive version of the iconic Mustang to be engineered and sold in this country.

(Image: RWD Ford Interceptor concept)

If it goes ahead, the car is likely to be the fastest car Ford Australia has released, powered by a 309kW twin-turbo V6.

Ford is also looking at Australia developing a range of Fairlane-sized long-wheelbase limousines for the United States and Middle East, as well as a flagship sedan for Europe.

Engineering development work is expected to start soon, providing a much-needed boost to Ford's struggling local operation, which this week announced plans to end production of its long-running in-line six-cylinder engine.

The move could also lead to export opportunities in the Middle East, where Ford sells US-built limousines in competition with Holden's Statesman and Caprice.

Ford's new Falcon, due in March next year, has been engineered so that it can be built in both left- and right-hand-drive.

US industry website Inside Line says Australia is favourite to develop a new platform that will underpin a wide range of vehicles, including the Mustang coupe and the Crown Victoria, Grand Marquis and Lincoln Town Car.

It says Ford insiders believe the new limousines will draw styling inspiration from the Ford Interceptor concept that made its debut at this year's Detroit motor show. The website also speculates there may be a rear-drive version of the Explorer based on Ford Australia's locally developed Territory off-roader.

Tom Gorman, Ford Australia boss, says talk of a deal being done is premature. "We have a fantastic rear-wheel-drive product. The product development team globally understands how strong our product is. We are actively in discussions about that but it is still very, very early days. There have been no decisions made whatsoever."

But Gorman says the axing of Ford's in-line six could strengthen the local operation's global position: "It brings us one step closer to better integrating with Ford's global product development. The longer that we remain an 'orphan' in terms of our technologies in Australia, the less likely we are to fully participate in all the activity that's under way in rear-wheel-drive."

The appointment of Ford president Allan Mullaly in September last year is believed to have cleared the way for Australia to take on a more prominent role in the global organisation.

Until recently, internal politics has worked against Australian involvement, with US engineers jealously guarding their interests. But it is believed former Boeing boss Mullaly has a far more global view of the business and has been given the green light by Ford powerbrokers to dismantle any entrenched barriers to progress.

(Image: Flying the flag ... the next Mustang may have an Aussie flavour)

He also knows about Australia. As part of the B787 aircraft project, he oversaw the outsourcing of engineering development to overseas suppliers, including Hawker de Havilland in Australia, which won a $4 billion design contract for the plane.

"What is really important," Gorman says, "is that as part of Allan's strategy we now have a centralised product development person and once you get that, that individual is going to look for the best capability around the world. We're really proud of the capability we have here so, yeah, I do think that gives us a stronger opportunity to participate globally.

"I think Ford recognises the strength of our platform, it recognises the strength of our rear-wheel-drive capability and I think we are improving our position vis-a-vis global rear-wheel-drive."

The Inside Line report says the Australian option has the backing of "top executives" in Detroit.

Gorman says the global Ford 3.5-litre V6 will be introduced on the Falcon in 2010.

In base form, the engine produces roughly 196kW of power but a twin-turbo performance version could produce 309kW of power and 542Nm of torque. Ford says the twin-turbo can combine V8 performance with V6 fuel consumption.

The V6 is now built in Ohio and used in Ford's Edge soft-roader and Taurus, as well as the Mazda CX-9.

A higher-output 3.7-litre version of the engine is already being built in Japan and this may make its way into the Falcon, although that appears less likely given the recent focus on fuel efficiency.
    It does sound promising. An Australian developed Mustang could be awesome! It's taken long enough for these 'talks' to start up.

I credit GM for this advancement
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

We wont get sole development as the article suggests. Mullaly might have convinced Detroit we can make a better RWD car than them, but no way will they leave it all up to us. Europe and America will have input from the beginning, and it makes sense to do it that way.

Also looking at how Holden is handling their RWD development, from what i can see GM's handed them everything - from the initial SWB/LWB Commodore variants to all of GM's needs such as Camaro, RWD Impala etc which all need different proportions to the Commodore range. That apparently is keeping Holden quite busy, and not necessarily in a good way as GM needs those products sooner rather than later.

As for factory RHD Mustang's, alot depends on America's current production capacity. I recall soon after launch they were selling all they could make, but the car debuted in '04 as a 2005 model and thats a while ago now. Ford Oz talks about a 3rd line locally bringing Broadmeadows capacity back up to 100% at around 120K units a year, but their true capacity is far more than that. Ford are only running a single shift afterall, if they could sustain the employment and parts supply needed to go 24hr like Holden were previously, they'd be looking at 300K+ units surely. If the US couldnt find a place to build them, i think we could fairly easily find the room provided Ford's manufacturing processes by then allow so.
    I am the Stig

Thank holden **** GM someone had to hit these tools on the head and say Hey! **** heads! the world of Cheap legendary RWD 6's and 8's is in the land Down under!.
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

Imagine the 300Kw F6 engine in it! :yummy:! But it wont happen!
    Are you a fan of V8 Supercars? Then you should join V8 SuperChat! - www.v8superchat.co.nr

Are you a fan of the FG Falcon? Then the FG Falcon Forum is for you! - www.fgfalconforum.co.nr

If the 6 went faster then the 8 in a mustang the yanks would go off tap.
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

The I6T will be gone by then, but the twinforce V6 will be around.
    I am the Stig

Thread Information