Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: F1 2007-2008 Silly Season

Quote Originally Posted by cmcpokey View Post
    interesting with Ralf Going to Force India... he'll try anywhere for a seat won't he? Fisi as well...
    The question is if they prove that they can run with the youngins - are they willing to take a huge pay cut to race with Force India? I also somehow doubt Force India is looking for veteran talent here - they probably want young kids - cheap, and full of potential. Maybe 1 veteran.

Well theyve got Sutil already under contract, so by all means he fills the spot of the young charger. They'll still be looking at other young guys though just in case McLaren go for a big money offer for him. The veterans like Fisichella and Schumacher will still be looked at carefully by the team.
    I am the Stig

Meanwhile, Franck Montagny has been replaced by Kamui Kobayashi as Toyota's third driver.
    Kobayashi, 21, is a product of the Toyota Young Drivers Programme (just like Kazuki Nakajima) and has been associated with the manufacturer since 2001. This year he was one of Toyota's test drivers and also competed in the Formula 3 Euroseries, where he currently stands 3rd.
    It's not denial. I'm just very selective about the reality I accept.

Quote Originally Posted by go.pawel View Post
    Meanwhile, Franck Montagny has been replaced by Kamui Kobayashi as Toyota's third driver.
    Kobayashi, 21, is a product of the Toyota Young Drivers Programme (just like Kazuki Nakajima) and has been associated with the manufacturer since 2001. This year he was one of Toyota's test drivers and also competed in the Formula 3 Euroseries, where he currently stands 3rd.
    I saw Kobayashi in one of the F3 races - wasn't impressing. He's too agressive, IMO.

Christian Horner (Red Bull) believes Alonso will go to Renault. So that leaves just Renault and Honda as options for Alonso.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Timo Glock has just officially been confirmed by Toyota:

Toyota Motorsport GmbH can today confirm that Timo Glock will race for Panasonic Toyota Racing in 2008.

Timo, the reigning GP2 Series champion, has signed a multi-year contract and the team hopes an agreement can be reached with BMW Sauber to allow him to test at Jerez on December 4-6.

Chairman and Team Principal Tadashi Yamashina said: "It is with great pleasure that we confirm Timo Glock will race for Panasonic Toyota Racing in 2008. I am convinced Timo has the potential to help this team move forward and achieve its aims.

"Timo has great experience of motorsport in several different categories and he reinforced his reputation by winning the highly competitive GP2 Series, which we have already seen is fantastic preparation for Formula 1. He has demonstrated a fighting spirit and good race craft in GP2 so we believe he is the right man for the job."

Timo said: "It's a great feeling to be a Formula 1 race driver again and I am really looking forward to this new challenge. I have worked hard over the past few years to get this opportunity and I must say I am grateful to Panasonic Toyota Racing for having faith in me.

"From what I have seen of the team at the track I am confident we will be able to work well together to move forward. Even though I have not raced in Formula 1 since 2004, I have tested quite regularly so I expect it will take very little time for me to get back in the groove.

"I have been lucky enough to race and succeed in several different championships in my career but my goal has always been to become a full-time Formula 1 race driver. I believe this experience has made me stronger as a driver and as a person.

"Of course, to return to Formula 1 racing as GP2 Series champion is a real honour and we've all seen how well Nico Rosberg and Lewis Hamilton have performed as champions so that is very encouraging. I hope I can also make a strong impression next season.

"Now I have achieved my goal of returning to Formula 1, my next target is to work towards making 2008 a successful season for myself and Panasonic Toyota Racing."

The 25-year-old German is, like his new team, relatively young but has a wealth of different experience behind him since taking his first steps into the world of motorsport as a 15-year-old in karts.

After just two years of kart racing he stepped up to single-seaters and enjoyed an impressive rise through the ranks to Formula 1, via ADAC Formula BMW and Formula 3. At just 22 he was a Grand Prix racer with an unexpected Jordan debut in Canada in 2004, where he joined an exclusive list of drivers to score points in their first race, thanks to his seventh place.

Three more races followed at the end of the season before a switch to the United States for 2005, where he marked himself out as a rising star by taking Rookie of the Year honours, with a best finish of second, coincidentally also in Montreal.

However, the lure of Formula 1 was too great and he returned to prove his credentials in GP2. That looked a wise move this year when he came out on top of a tough title battle and he follows previous champions Nico Rosberg and Lewis Hamilton into a full-time Formula 1 race drive.

Timo Glock Profile

Nationality: German

Born: 18 March 1982 - Lindenfels, Germany

Marital status: Single

Height: 1.69m

Weight: 64kg

Hobbies: Karting, fitness

GP debut Canada 2004

GPs started 4

Wins 0

Pole positions 0

Points 2

Best championship result 19th (2004)

1998: Began his motorsport career aged 15, racing in karts.

2000: ADAC Formula BMW Junior Cup: 1st

2001: ADAC Formula BMW: 1st

2002: German Formula 3 Championship: 3rd (Rookie of the Year)

2003: Formula 3 Euro Series: 5th (3 wins)

2004: Formula 1 - Jordan: Test driver/race driver

2005: Champ Car World Series: 8th (Rookie of the Year)

2006: GP2 Series: 4th (2 wins)

2007: GP2 Series: 1st (5 wins)

Formula 1 - BMW Sauber: Test driver
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Good. Maybe Toyota can give him a capable car.

But for 2008: BMW SAUBER ALL THE WAY!!!!!!!

Alonso at Renault by this week?

From GPUpdate.net:

Briatore hints at Alonso decision this week
    20 November 2007

Renault boss Flavio Briatore says a decision will be taken on whether Fernando Alonso rejoins his outfit for 2008 in the next few days. He also claimed there is currently a 60 per cent chance of it all coming off.

"Renault will definitely have different drivers next year," Briatore told the ANSA news agency in Italy. "There's about a 60 per cent chance Alonso will be with us."

"We have an advantage in taking him because we know him well," Briatore added. "By the end of this week we should have a decision."

"Alonso knows us well as human beings and that's important," he went on. "The last season has been difficult for him. It may have even changed his personality. We'll talk, I want to see where he wants to go. At McLaren he arrived as the world champion and he was put in competition against a rookie driver: that way the relationship inside a team is put in danger. You can't have two primadonnas inside a team. You need to get behind one of the drivers."

"In this phase he is not thinking of the money. He is thinking of everything except money," Briatore concluded.

I'm personally expecting a decision to be made once Renault are sorted out over their case of spying. If they get the same penalty as McLaren, i dont think too many people are expecting Renault to stick around.
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho View Post
    I'm personally expecting a decision to be made once Renault are sorted out over their case of spying. If they get the same penalty as McLaren, i dont think too many people are expecting Renault to stick around.
    Thus, the FIA can't enforce a penalty like that, then the resulting fine would make McLaren's unfair, and make the FIA look worse than it does now.

The FIA has gotten themselves into a mighty predicament.

Quote Originally Posted by Zytek_Fan View Post
    Thus, the FIA can't enforce a penalty like that, then the resulting fine would make McLaren's unfair, and make the FIA look worse than it does now..
    Not if you consider McLaren's "fine" to be set in relation to what they spend or can afford.
    Just like lawsuits in the courts systems

So they could "fine" Renault only a few million -- or even thousands given their abysmal performance this year
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Slick tires to return in 2009? Testing with slicks begins next week.

From GP Update.com:

Slicks to return next month
    21 November 2007

Next week Formula 1 teams will be back in action at Jerez in the South of Spain. Bridgestone will supply every team with three sets of slick tyres to test with these tyres. Slicks might be introduced again in Formula One as soon as 2009.

A Bridgestone spokesperson told GPUpdate.net: "Bridgestone are supplying these slicks as a response to a request from the teams, as the teams want to gain data as they look to the 2009 season. It is too early for Bridgestone to comment on our tyre range for the 2009 season, however we are always available to discuss ideas with the teams and the FIA."

Renault has told Alonso sign a 3 year contract or no drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Zytek_Fan View Post
    Renault has told Alonso sign a 3 year contract or no drive.
    And that's from the big boss Mr. Ghosn himself.

Well 3 year contracts arent what they seem anymore these days. It would probably eventuate to 2 years fixed on certain conditions (mainly pay, sponsor commitments) then maybe the 3rd would be an option year with performance clauses and other things for Alonso to either get more money out of Renault, or Renault to have an excuse not to pay so much.
    I am the Stig

Thread Information