Thread: 2009 Toyota Celica?

2009 Toyota Celica?

I read this short article in one of the sites i was browsing through. Unfortunately, i've searched for any pictures but none so far. i can't wait to see what the new Celica would look like.

Motor Authority

Toyota’s Celica sports coupe is set to make a return, in European markets only according to the carmaker’s German Chief Markus Schrick. The Celica was dropped from the market back in 2005, along with several other Toyota sports models such as the Supra and AE86 in previous years.

Speaking recently with Automotive News Europe, Schrick told reporters that Toyota was in favor of Germany keeping its speed unlimited autobahns and that such roads were “a unique selling point” for the country.

His fondness for the roads is likely to be because of Toyota’s revival of its sports car range. Along with the Celica in 2009, there will be the new LF-A supercar and possibly a new RWD entry level Toyota model. The first performance model to arrive, however, will be the Lexus IS-F, which goes on sale in March next year.

Schrick also admitted that “Lexus is struggling” in Germany and these new sports models are designed to raise awareness of the brand.

It’s likely any performance models developed for Europe will also be sold in the U.S., including cars like the new Celica.

That's awesome if it were to be true.

Toyota has always been on the boring side. This might change that.

Here's hoping it's true. I always thought it was a shame they stopped producing the Celica. That name has so much history and prestige.

Do it Toyota!
    "He who has overcome his fears will truly be free."

How many more times do we have to read this? It's been thrown around for ages now. Not by Toyota of course, but bored writers. "Toyota's bringing back the Supra." "Toyota's making a supercar." "Toyota's going to bring back the Celica, the MR2, the AE86, the GT4."

Just stop it and making a ****ing small sports car.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Toyota have had the perfect opportunity the last half-decade to bring out some sports models and market them based on F1. I think they'll do something eventually, maybe by the time theyve got some respectable F1 results to market them with.
    I am the Stig

They don't want their production cars associated with such a second-rate team (When you look at the results, anyway )

is this another flash in the pan? time will tell. Like 2ndCC said, there have been rumours floating about of a small sports car for a while. I'm not sure whats different this time.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Maybe they'll see how the new GT-R is recieved before getting serious.
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by lancaster_raven View Post
    Schrick also admitted that “Lexus is struggling” in Germany and these new sports models are designed to raise awareness of the brand.
    I bet ole' Schrick made a big, big frown and looked at his shoes after he spat that zinger out.

The Germans' awareness of Lexus has about the same odds of raising as my johnson does after a fifth of Jack Daniels and three pounds of BBQ ribs.

That drivel about selling a Lexus to a German aside, I'm Thrilled that the Celica might make a comeback. The outgoing model looked worlds better than the Scion tC (C=Capybara, by the way) that effectively replaced it here in the 'states, and was, in my opinion, the better driver's car, even though it offered the driver horrible rear visibility.
    I'm erudite ;-)

Thread Information