Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Speed Tv Sux

Speed Tv Sux

(Originally posted as a response to the IROC results thread on the racing forum. I think it's better placed here. Apologies for any breach of UCP standards — 'Quail)

I'm pissed at Speed TV, the macabre reincarnation of the once brilliant Speedvision channel that died back in about 2002 and was born again, in zombie form, after an unholy buyout by FOX.

Speed TV had scheduled to air the International Race of Champions a week or so after the event took place. I saw it on their schedule earlier this month, much to my delight. But to my horror an extensive search of their online programming schedule reveals that they've canceled it now, the piss-drinking, uncle ****ing bastards.

The dropping of the real IROC while its nomenclatural stateside doppleganger, an oval track race among 65 drivers sharing a all sharing a common Alabama zip code at the wheel of Ponitac "IROC" Firebirds (machines mechanically identical to those raced during the Truman adminstration) is an unprecedented and unqualified error of panther-****ing magnitude.

To put this in perspective, the recently unveiled VW Sc"IROC"co concept car was a mere sheep-****ing, in hindsight; one is merely distasteful while the other should, by rights, be lethal. It isn't, though. Apparently my slack-jawed countrymen love to watch pseudo-gearhead drivel repeated over and over and over again.

This American TV channel can **** up even the most evocative subject matter. Case in point: Their highlight of the Monterrey Historics at Laguna Seca was the ****ing Indy Roadsters of the 1950s/60s! These cars have two-speed transmissions, for the most part, and are only set up to turn left! Who wants to watch a bunch of (admittedly good-looking) cars stumble down the corkscrew at 1,200 RPM??? ****ING NOBODY — THAT'S WHO!

The coverage of the Barrett-Jackson auction was a travesty, and their half-assed "Ferrari: Legends and Passions" horseshit program makes a ham-fisted mockery of both Ferrari S.P.A. and Alain DeCadenet simultaneously.

They've stopped airing Victory by Design, the shit-eating, Chevy Cavalier Z 24-driving mentalists.

Their most highly-rated show, Pinks, is about racing like the film Anal Playground 4 is about housesitting. Whichever "team" bitches the most to that self-consciously penis-headed host is invariably the victor and who the **** really watches this NOPI Tunervision dogshit???

Did FOX recruit the producers of this channel by offering the job everyone who ordered a non-functional hood scoop for their Pontiac Grand Prix?

Speed TV still airs F1 races and makes a half-hearted effort at covering the 24 Hours of LeMans, provided that nobody's beating a late-model stocker around the Dipshit County Fairgrounds' 1/16-mile dirt oval. That's their only saving grace.

If the strongest voice for a halfway-erudite approach to media treatment of the automobile as art is voiced by an Arkansan with a picture of a Bob White quail as an avatar this country must indeed be in dark waters...
    Last edited by LandQuail; 12-19-2007 at 02:04 AM.
    I'm erudite ;-)

Violently, but well said.

SpeedTV really is turning to crap. The Formula 1 Coverage is alright, like you said.. but the absence of everything else truly automotive is horrifying for a channel that deals extensively with cars and motorsport.

Go back to how it was. Give me WRC. Give me a bit more Formula 1. Give me worldwide automotive news and information. Create better programming by getting rid of the ricer/muscle/classic overload. Give me some Top Gear, and Fifth Gear for that matter. You can keep the NASCAR and homegrown US stock/dirt racing, but please cut that coverage by at least 75%.

If SpeedTV does the above, I'd be a happy man. Plus.. how much can they lose out on really? I can't see a lot of NASCAR loving deep-southerners having access to pricey digital cable with extended programming that includes SpeedTV. Plus, who even watches those interviews with NASCAR drivers in their homes or in conversation with one another? As an average viewer/fan of NASCAR, I can say that I tried watching some of those programs but in all honesty, they suck.

/rant

So much anger.

You'll make a great old man someday, Landquail.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows View Post
    So much anger.

You'll make a great old man someday, Landquail.
    Sitting on his porch with a shotgun, yelling at kids to get off his lawn, reminiscing about the days when SpeedTV actually showed Formula One coverage. Then soiling his pants.

Edit cause I forgot the part where he's sipping a bottle of Wild Turkey.
    Last edited by Quiggs; 12-19-2007 at 04:59 AM.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

Come on Speed TV is great! They show lots of NASCRAP, and rice-o-vision. What's not to love?

LandQuail, I couldn't agree more. I might enjoy NOPI TV after a Lobotomy. Same goes for pinks, Unique Whips, and anything NASCAR that doesn't involve cars actually circling a track. Maybe It would be asking for too much but I sure would like to see FIA GT, LMS, DTM, WRC and SuperGT (even with subtitles) broadcast. Even if it were a month after the fact, late better than never. Hell, Showing Speed World GT/Touring and Star Mazda live would be a novel idea. Who could possibly want to know when a race was going to be aired and not already know the outcome?

Perhaps I'm alone on this one but I'd love to see rebroadcast of classic motor races from the 50s - 80s. It would be even cooler if they added commentary from surviving drivers, pit crews, announcers, basically anyone involved at the time.

Sadly, I'm afraid Speed broadcast what the majority of America want so see.

**** Nascar.
    **** Pinks.
    **** Nopi.
    **** SpeedTV.

That is all, good day.
    He came dancing across the water
    With his galleons and guns
    Looking for the new world
    In that palace in the sun
    On the shore lay Montezuma
    With his cocoa leaves and pearls

So true LQ. It seems as if every time I turn it on it's either Pink (I can't stand the host) or a bunch of Negro's doing fancy tricks on motorcycles.
    John says:
    so i had to dump acid into the block tank today
    i'm afraid to fap
    cause i got it on my hands

Agree every time I turn on speed Pinks is on. I am tired of people yelling at each other because they want half a car.

Go heads up!! MY GOD!!
    What happens if you get scared half to death, twice?
    Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Seriously. Pinks sucks.

Who wants to watch Unique Whips anyway?

They should start their own dedicated NASCAR channel if they had wanted one.

We would like to see coverage of racing other than oval racing, thank you.

Guess what. NASCAR and all the Pinks/Unique Whips shows brings the advertising money. So that's what they show. Quitcherbitchin.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

Since some of us want Jeremy Clarkson for UK's Prime Minister, then LandQuail for.... Green Party candidate.

Seriously, I watched Speed while I was up in Vancouver. It was total shit. It was either Nascar qualifying repeated 10 times a day or Pinks. If it didn't involve mind-numbingly boring activities, it wasn't on. I remember the good 'ol days when they had such programs like the weekly TV show about racing around the world, WRC, and the show that talked about the filming of the movie LeMans.

Nascar might be fun to participate in, but it's not exactly fun to watch.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

agreed

they need less:
    nascar
    pinks
    superbikes
    nopi tv
    unique

actually they don't need any of it
    Last edited by 092326001; 12-19-2007 at 04:37 PM. Reason: forgot to mention tons of barret jackson replays

Quote Originally Posted by LandQuail View Post
    Their most highly-rated show, Pinks, is about racing like the film Anal Playground 4 is about housesitting. Whichever "team" bitches the most to that self-consciously penis-headed host is invariably the victor and who the **** really watches this NOPI Tunervision dogshit???
    I'm going to be on Pinks next season, they filmed the episode in october.
    "We went to Wnedy's. I had chicken nuggest." ~ Quiggs

Quote Originally Posted by Quiggs View Post
    Guess what. NASCAR and all the Pinks/Unique Whips shows brings the advertising money. So that's what they show. Quitcherbitchin.
    They can always advertise on something else.

Common sense FTW.

Thread Information