Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Viper ACR cleans up at the track.

I would not be surprised if the ACR is faster than the ZR1 as much as I hate to admit it. I wish the Corvette people would have put a C6R esque body kit on it to create some substantial downforce. They should at least make it an option for the really hardcore people. I know that if I had enough money to buy a ZR1 that is what I would do.

At least we know the ZR1 will go and stop just fine.

I know this is going to bother people but I and most every track guy feel carbon ceramic brakes are bad for the track. The reason why PRICE. Even though they will last longer and are better all around for the track. The price to keep them up is emense even if you get 10 or so track days out of the pads and 40 or so track days out of the rotors there will be a time you have to change them. And it will cost you a fortune especially the rotors.
    97 Viper GTS
    93 Dodge Viper (Sold)
    My Videos http://www.youtube.com/early93viper

Quote Originally Posted by early93viper View Post
    I know this is going to bother people but I and most every track guy feel carbon ceramic brakes are bad for the track. The reason why PRICE. Even though they will last longer and are better all around for the track. The price to keep them up is emense even if you get 10 or so track days out of the pads and 40 or so track days out of the rotors there will be a time you have to change them. And it will cost you a fortune especially the rotors.
    I've heard GM reps say that rotor replacement won't be as bad as most predict. But if you can afford, and have the balls to track a $100,000 Corvette (more like $250,000 after markups) you can afford brakes.
    John says:
    so i had to dump acid into the block tank today
    i'm afraid to fap
    cause i got it on my hands

Stop looking at me! Look at me! Stop looking at me!
    Quote Originally Posted by wwgkd View Post
    It isn't that the ZR1 is not fast, it's just that the viper is more track oriented. Tires are very important (nod to viper,) and the carbon ceramic brakes are a nice touch (nod to 'vette,) but down force is huge; the viper produces 1,000lbs of downforce while the corvette actually produces lift.
    I doubt that. Do you have a source? There's a video where the guy is talking about the ZR1 and the front diffuser and rear spoiler to get even downforce.
    I dont if I'll make home tonight
    But I know I can swim
    under the Tahitian moon

The Nürburgring dickwagging contest continues, with the ACR doing a reported 7:22.1.

At least it isn't being called the fastest road car on the Ring which I believe the ZR1 and GT-R were called (maybe even by the companies?)

What about the track specials? The Radical SR8 has like a 6:55.

lol@ dickwaggin....

Seeing how ZR-1 and GTR are in the High to mid 7:30s bracket, not surprising at all at that time since it does make more downforce and probably about the same weight as the ZR-1(how much does it weigh anyway)....
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

It apparently weighs 3400 pounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    The Nürburgring dickwagging contest continues, with the ACR doing a reported 7:22.1.

At least it isn't being called the fastest road car on the Ring which I believe the ZR1 and GT-R were called (maybe even by the companies?)

What about the track specials? The Radical SR8 has like a 6:55.
    It isn't being called that because the time is still very unknown. A 7:22 though means it is def. one of the fastest (or the fastest to those who don't count the Radical as a production road car) cars on the 'Ring though. A 7:22 is quicker than what the V-Spec or LF-A have reportedly done.

And amazingly, Dodge did it all without any fancy electronics or power upgrades. It did it all with aerodynamics. Simply amazing for a Viper to achieve.
    2007 Acura TL Type-S (AEM V2, R-V6 Race/J-Pipe, ATLP Quad Exhaust)
    2011 BMW 328i Coupe

If this is being counted then the Radical HAS to be

Read through the recent R&T comparison test which included the Viper ACR. It's easy enough to pick out the ACR sections for each test.
    Road & Track Magazine - RoadandTrack.com

Here's a small quote from that link,
    - "It must be said that the ACR was the only car that arrived with its own crew chief, who optimized the suspension settings for each venue. But that's consistent with the ACR's role as a street-legal track car." -
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

except you can't plate a Radical in US....no door and bumper aren't getting you anywhere....
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

who cares, you can register it most other places. even if it is more impractical on the roads.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

The Viper does kind of blur the edge between road car and track car. One hand it certainly isn't an every day driver and I don't think anyone would claim that the tires and suspension component upgrades and aero tweaks didn't help. The GT-R and ZR1 are almost certainly far more civilized. So if we call the Viper a track car then yes it looses to the Radical and even the few road going versions of the 962 which someone made it past DOT inspectors.

But the Viper is a bit different in that it is road legal in the US where most one offs aren't. It is actually just a variant of a car which clearly is meant to be a road going sports car not a race car (Radical, 962). It is available through a major manufacturer and doesn't get any small volume manufacture waivers to make it legal.

I'm not saying I think it does or doesn't count, only that it clearly is in a fuzzy area. I would say the GT-R and ZR1 are not.

I also think the ARC could do even better with out much fuss.

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
    except you can't plate a Radical in US....no door and bumper aren't getting you anywhere....
    They have a kit that lets you do that.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Viper turn 7.22 lap at Ring

Motortrend just posted thie video report of the Viper ACR running a 7.22 lap at the Ring. Unfortunately, they had very little time to prepare the cars.

2009 Dodge Viper ACR on the Nurburgring | Concept Photos, Reviews, & More at Motortrend.com
    Last edited by evile; 08-28-2008 at 07:21 PM.

Thread Information