Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My room smells funny. Help me?

i may wana check the under the floor for dead rats they smell baaaaaaaaaaaad.

Spray some AXE, Right Guard, or TAG.

Kills everything.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

First, what does it smell like, second can you pinpoint where its coming from???. Try to find out what it smells like and then pinpoint the origin as best you can and treat just that area with Ammonia and baking soda, those two chemicals should do it, if not get some of that cleaner that has active bacteria in it, that should do it...

Quote Originally Posted by kingofthering View Post
    Spray some AXE, Right Guard, or TAG.

Kills everything.
    But you'll smell like a middle school locker room.
    John says:
    so i had to dump acid into the block tank today
    i'm afraid to fap
    cause i got it on my hands

Quote Originally Posted by Gt1Street View Post
    I'm asking myself several question after reading this.

Why are you posting it in a car forum, even though it is the Misc its a bit off topic none the less.
    Why do you think we have a miscellaneous forum?

You're best bet is to get one of those steamvacs for the carpet. Scrub down the walls with a 5% ammonia/water concentrated liquid and the couches/drapes/etc with baking soda/water solution. Then, I'd put a couple of bowls of baking soda and/or ground coffee beans around the room to soak up the odors.

i know some smells like that fromk strong curries can get locked/absorbed into your paint on the walls, may have to repaint if that's the case..
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by Gt1Street View Post
    I'm asking myself several question after reading this.

Why are you posting it in a car forum, even though it is the Misc its a bit off topic none the less.
    Second is, did you actually expect to get a real answer other then : burn, stomp, kill ?!
    And third is, I find that pouring liquers (the flavoured kinds) really changes the smell and really absorb into anything go with Amaretto...
    1. I want you to re-read the statement "even though it is the Misc its a bit off topic none the less."

2. Yes

3. Serious replies only please.

---------
    Thanks for all the serious replies, guys!
    Here's some more details, because most of the suggestions I've received don't actually apply to me.

1. I live in a dorm, with linoleum floors.
    2. The smell is from the previous occupant, as it was much more pungent and prevalent when he was here. It was a smell almost a little bit like marijuana, but not as strong. I think it might be a fungus or mold.
    3. Probably not in the walls, as I just moved into this room from 2 doors down, and the smell is only in this room, and I can't detect it in either room that borders my current one.
    Sometimes the best view of heaven is from hell.

Hmm...oohh....Wow!! These are delectible! Good news, Flappy! I'm not going to kill you!

If you get some of the odor-eliminating baking soda, sprinkle it all over the carpet and then leave it for a few days and vacuum it up it should work quite well. Also I recommend buying some potent coffee beans and putting them in a sock. Tie the sock up and hide it in the room it will mask the smell. Good luck.

I'd personally just go with Febreeze and air out the room for a couple of days... If that doesn't work. Buy yourself a BIG cigar, and light that bitch up in the middle of your room... smoke the whole thing, then try again with Febreeze and airing out the room. Cigar smoke is very powerful and tends to linger and may mask the other odour and I know Febreeze is good for clearing cigar smell. You could also try Lysol.
    Previously know as "Rotary.freak"

Quote Originally Posted by Godlaus View Post
    Serious replies only please.
    I'm not kidding, we actually broke a whole bottle of Amaretto on the floor and it went into every tiny crack in the floor. It smelled like almonds for weeks !
    I am easily satisfied with the very best.

"It is a very good looking car, If you have cataract" - JC about the Alpine A610

Quote Originally Posted by Godlaus View Post
    1. I want you to re-read the statement "even though it is the Misc its a bit off topic none the less."

2. Yes

3. Serious replies only please.

---------
    Thanks for all the serious replies, guys!
    Here's some more details, because most of the suggestions I've received don't actually apply to me.

1. I live in a dorm, with linoleum floors.
    2. The smell is from the previous occupant, as it was much more pungent and prevalent when he was here. It was a smell almost a little bit like marijuana, but not as strong. I think it might be a fungus or mold.
    3. Probably not in the walls, as I just moved into this room from 2 doors down, and the smell is only in this room, and I can't detect it in either room that borders my current one.
    Mold would be a bad one, cause it might be dangerous to your health. Better get it checked out.

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    Mold would be a bad one, cause it might be dangerous to your health. Better get it checked out.
    I'll second that one. Mold in a dorm room can suck, and the school (UW?) is the one responsible for keeping on top of that.

If it's not mold, it may air out eventually. I had a friend with a really rank room and he got a bunch of match books anywhere he could find them for free and just lit a match every once in a while until the stench was bearable. But he was from Alaska and something of a redneck, so I guess it's user discretion.

i get back back to my flat to find out out someone clever has turned my fridge off for 2 weeks. it smelt v nice it is now clean but still smells fortunatlely the smell doesnt transfer to taste. so the food in there is safe. note to self dont live with 7 other people again

Quote Originally Posted by Type17 View Post
    I'd personally just go with Febreeze and air out the room for a couple of days... If that doesn't work. Buy yourself a BIG cigar, and light that bitch up in the middle of your room... smoke the whole thing, then try again with Febreeze and airing out the room. Cigar smoke is very powerful and tends to linger and may mask the other odour and I know Febreeze is good for clearing cigar smell. You could also try Lysol.
    agree. Febreze the shit out of that room. I would also spray every kind of citrus-based detergent in there and let it sit for awhile.

Thread Information