Thread: Lamborghini Murciélago Barchetta Concept

Lamborghini Murciélago Barchetta Concept

This would later become the Murcielago Roadster...

Quote Originally Posted by LamboCars.com
    During the opening of the 2003 edition of the Detroit Auto Show, Automobili Lamborghini SpA finally showed us a first impression of the Murcielago Roadster ... Concept.

The car shown here is still a Concept prototype, but it does look great, and production is very possible, with only minor changes to this awesome design according to Sig. Guiseppo Grecco, who made this statement when he personally introduced the car in Detroit.

The fact that a Murcielago Roadster would soon follow after the entry into production of the Murcielago was known from the start, but it still took over a year for this Concept to be shown to the public, exactly one year after the US introduction of the Murcielago, the same Auto Show starred the Roadster Concept.
    When Sig Grecco introduced the Murcielago Roadster Concept he stated that Automobili Lamborghini SpA would need about 130 firm orders for this new 'open' Lamborghini to be able to enter it into production, and with an estimated price tag of around US $ 300,000 I don't think they will have any trouble with selling this magnificent new Murcielago.

As stated, the car shown here is still a Concept Prototype, and therefore a one of a kind car which will probably end up in the factory museum soon, but a more 'civilized' production model should be very close to this prototype so there is hope the stunning engine cover and wheels will be available on the road soon.

Note that this new engine cover is actually hinged at the rear, so it opens totally different when compared to the closed coupe model, let's hope it doesn't open at 300 Km/h, that would really be a problem to explain to the insurance company.
    Underneath this cover you will find the first evidence that this is a 'roof-less' car, there is an important frame installed on top of the engine to keep the chassis from flexing under pression.
    Naturally there are more reinforcements throughout the Roadster concept, but some or less visible than this one, also note that this prototype features a lower windscreen and the side windows neatly flow into the shoulder mounted air intakes, who still raise when needed, a very impressive touch that draws a crowd nearly as large as when opening the trademark upward moving doors.

There were rumours the engine would be more powerfull, but at the moment it is still the 'standard' engine, a 6.2 Liter V12 powerplant that puts a total of 580 Bhp on all four wheels, but since the 'gap' with the soon to be introduced Gallardo model that uses a V10 engine with 500 Bhp is not too large, a power increase will surely be next on the agenda at Sant'Agatha ... let's wait and see what happens at the March 2003 Geneva Auto Show.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I am easily satisfied with the very best.

"It is a very good looking car, If you have cataract" - JC about the Alpine A610

Lamborghini Murcielago Barchetta Concept #2

"It is a very good looking car, If you have cataract" - JC about the Alpine A610

Lamborghini Murcielago Barchetta Concept #3

Lamborghini Murcielago Barchetta Concept #4

Lamborghini Murcielago Barchetta Concept #5

Can i just ask why you are showing us this now?

Quote Originally Posted by Auxin View Post
    Can i just ask why you are showing us this now?
    well, I wasnt here in 2003. I was in a very bad forum and probably posted it there.
    and I'm filling the gaps so to speak.

Doesn't "Barchetta" mean something like "little boat" in Italian, and already belong to another Italian manufacturer?

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo.Jenkens View Post
    Doesn't "Barchetta" mean something like "little boat" in Italian, and already belong to another Italian manufacturer?
    Yes, it means "little, cute boat"...
    But it's been used since god knows when to indicate cars like this - 2 seater and convertible.
    And then yes, there's (there was) the Fiat Barchetta, which is... a 2 seater, convertible car...

Yes to the first question, no the second.

IIRC Barchetta was fisr used in the Ferrari 166 in the late 40's, early 50's because their open cars looked like small boats. Since then the name stuck for a variety of italian roadsters.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

the most desirable car of 2003
    If you want to do something wrong, do it right

Quote Originally Posted by M_M View Post
    Yes, it means "little, cute boat"...
    But it's been used since god knows when to indicate cars like this - 2 seater and convertible.
    And then yes, there's (there was) the Fiat Barchetta, which is... a 2 seater, convertible car...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Yes to the first question, no the second.

IIRC Barchetta was fisr used in the Ferrari 166 in the late 40's, early 50's because their open cars looked like small boats. Since then the name stuck for a variety of italian roadsters.
    Barchetta - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thankyou for responding, I was thinking of the 166 in particular when I posted, but now feel pretty dumb because I new there were many others known as "Barchetta."

Just as good looking as the Gallardo version of this car.

Very impractical though, since it has no roof.

the production version has a foldable fabric roof.
    If you want to do something wrong, do it right

Thread Information