Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dealership destroys client's Monaro

Dealership destroys client's Monaro

A car service turned to heartbreak for Colin Chaffen when his beloved Holden Monaro was written off by two joy-riding mechanics.
    Mechanic hoons wasted my Monaro | The Daily Telegraph

"I had put $60,000 into that car and these guys only had it for 15 minutes and they wrote it off. It makes you wonder how many other cars they have taken out for joy-rides."
    So he bought a $45,000 car and dumped $60,000 on it? Sure....

"Any time a vehicle is on the road it is at risk of being involved in an accident." Mr Duggin said in a statement.
    No shit Sherlock... and what does that have to do with the fact that your mechanics were racing this guy's car? If that idiot is the CFO of Heartland Group imagine the quality mechanics that they have.

Quote Originally Posted by low act

Mr Chaffen's anger was made worse because the service was only booked after Heartland Holden wrote a letter threatening to void his warranty unless his car was urgently taken to one of their service centres. He had also been assured that there was no need for the vehicle to leave the workshop.
    Quote Originally Posted by lower..

"They have just told me a lot of lies. At first it had been side-swiped, then they had swerved to miss a car, and finally they said they had tried to dodge a runaway dog," he said.
    Quote Originally Posted by coup de gras!

But the worst was still to come, with Heartland Holden's insurer then refusing to pay the insured value of the car, offering Mr Chaffen almost $10,000 less than its agreed value.
    Quote Originally Posted by Niko_Fx View Post
    He means a $60k total investment in the vehicle, which is entirely realistic

I didn't read the article and am not familiar with the law, but could he not sue the company for the full cost of the vehicle because of the mechanics taking it on a pleasure ride? I mean the company should be taken to school.

New, a Monaro was nearly $60,000.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndclasscitizen View Post
    New, a Monaro was nearly $60,000.
    What I meant is that he added $60,000 in modifications, that's what I understood from the article when I first read it "I had put $60,000 into that car"

The fact that the article says that the dealer offered to pay about $10,000 less than what the car was worth, doesn't really say that this is because the dealer is not covering all the modifications (Car was worth 60k, offered 50k), it could also mean that they're offering to pay $35k out of $45k that the car is worth... due to depreciation for example. So it's hard to deduct that the guy did not in fact add $60k to the car by reading the article other than it just doesn't make any sense to put that much money into that car.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    I didn't read the article ..
    Thats a pity Kidty

Why offer comment yet not look?

Quote Originally Posted by nota
    He means a $60k total investment in the vehicle, which is entirely realistic
    What I meant is that he added $60,000 in modifications, that's what I understood from the article when I first read it

"I had put $60,000 into that car"
    Niko the owner merely states: 'I had put $60k into that car' ... not 'I had put $60k into that car, not including its purchase price.'
    The fact that the article says that the dealer offered to pay about $10,000 less than what the car was worth,
    In this instance the worth of his car is its agreed value - no more & no less - in other words a contracturally agreed sum between the owner & his insurer

Quote Originally Posted by nota View Post
    Thats a pity Kidty

Why offer comment yet not look?
    Frankly I have been reading article after article on the net for the past few days and my attention span is decreasing rapidly - I also wasn't interested enough to read the article, but was enough to comment.

People buy $12,000 cars and invest that kind of money. The RX7 and other 90s cars come to mind.
    Previously know as "Rotary.freak"

Thats pretty low. Im surprised dealerships are still getting away with that parlour trick where they threaten warranty if you dont take it back to them.
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    Frankly I have been reading article after article on the net for the past few days and my attention span is decreasing rapidly - I also wasn't interested enough to read the article, but was enough to comment.
    Might you have an opinion of this article now that you have read it?

Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho View Post
    Thats pretty low. Im surprised dealerships are still getting away with that parlour trick where they threaten warranty if you dont take it back to them.
    Yes I noticed that too - just one one of the many sham events contributing to this total horror story
    The car's owner, Colin Chaffen, a self-confessed "car fanatic", was in tears when he returned to the workshop to discover ten's of thousands of dollars worth of damage to his impeccably maintained vehicle.

"My car was my pride and joy. There wasn't a scratch on it," Mr Chaffen said.
    As a fellow car enthusiast (no matter what brand of car) its hard not to relate & sympathise with disasters like this

Quote Originally Posted by nota View Post
    Might you have an opinion of this article now that you have read it?
    I hadn't read it when you wrote that but have now - the story was pretty much covered here in the thread.

Anyways, it was pretty scummy and the mechanics should be prosecuted and lose their jobs and the company should be on the hook to replace the total cost of the vehicle as determined by an appraiser.

At least, that's what I think - I could also see him being issued damages for the car as it was priced when new along with the full price of mods - he certainly has been put out by this company and I think there's an argument to be had that he deserves more than list price for the car as it's a hassle on his life, a new comparable car is probably more expensive etc etc.

Then again, maybe not.

Low life scum bags.

This is why i tune my own cars, This is why i trust only one mechanic in this country to work on my car, A man that knows me, I know him, I trust him, He wouldn't do me wrong, Anyone else **** em..
    Even holden **** em.

But guys, It's easy to stick $60,000 into a car, When you buy it, You ad a mint in upgrades, I bought a VP for $1700 in 05, Considered then very cheap, By 08, My total outlay on the car was up to $6000.
    And if i had more money it would have been double.

In the end, New car warranty are just nothing but shit. Threaten my arse your not getting my wheels.
    When my car was at holden, I wrote down the km's, I checked every part of the car, I even sneak back a few times to look at new cars, But was spying on my car at the same time, I don't trust them.
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

Thread Information