The fans of classic Ford muscle cars will certainly like those photos, Dog Ear!

Very true about many street cars being modified.

Even I have done that, with my former '66 Dodge Dart GT and, to a lesser degree, my current '69 Cadillac.

I had dual exhaust put on for the Dart (273-2 bbl V-8 engine) and 3.23 gears replacing the 2.93s. And I installed a Holley aluminum intake manifold, Carter AFB 500 cfm carburetor, electronic ignition and shift kit for the Torqueflite transmission. I didn't take it on a drag strip, but I did have a lot of fun with it on the street.

The '69 Cad has dual exhaust (the former owner had that done), a shift kit for the Turbo-Hydramatic transmission and 3.21 gears instead of the 2.94s.

My current '66 Plymouth Fury has 3.23 gears; someday, I may put on something lower, like 3.90s! I've always wanted to drive a car with low gearing just to see how it drives and the differential of the Plymouth is built in such a way that it's easy to remove the ring and pinion. It should be really responsive with 3.90s. Of course, I could go even lower, like 4.10s or 4.30, but it wouldn't be comfortable for highway use (but I rarely take it on the highway; almost always surface street driving). I've heard of some cars running a full 1 second faster in the 1/4 mile just by changing from 2.93 or 3.00 to 4.10 or 4.30. There are, of course, plenty of aftermarket choices for axle ratios in my Plymouth since it has the 8 and 3/4" differential... the same size as the differentials on cars like the 383 Road Runner and 440 Charger.

I do know that some muscle car owners from the '60s would start modifying their cars within 2-3 weeks of ownership! I can see why; fast is good, but faster is better!