Voters
294. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1993 Supra Twin Turbo

98 33.33%
  • !999 Skyline-R34 GT-R

196 66.67%
Page 11 of 34 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Supra vs Skyline

In an attempt to be a smartass, I broke my own golden rule of English being the forums only language, anyways here's the translations.

Quote Originally Posted by NoOne
    Si hoc signum legere potes, operis boni in rebus Latinus alacribus et fructuosis potiri potes!
    If you can read this sign, you can get a good job in the fast-paced,high-paying world of Latin!
    Die dulci fruere.
    Have a nice day.

In an attempt to be a smartass, I broke my own golden rule of English being the forums only language, anyways here's the translations.

If you can read this sign, you can get a good job in the fast-paced,high-paying world of Latin!

Have a nice day.
    You win. I only know swear words in other languages.
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

latin? isnt that what the romans apoke way back when? the most modern language i can speak besides english is deutsch (german) only coz it was forced upon me from year 1 to year 8. buyer beware. i think you're right there. as for the mitsubishi GTO they look ok i spose but iv never been for a ride in one or driven one so maybe thats something i could investigate.
    Cheers
    The Datto will rage again...

i have seen some fullon supra's but the skyline has the good's in the tuff look's side of things
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Supra
    latin? isnt that what the romans apoke way back when? the most modern language i can speak besides english is deutsch (german) only coz it was forced upon me from year 1 to year 8. buyer beware. i think you're right there. as for the mitsubishi GTO they look ok i spose but iv never been for a ride in one or driven one so maybe thats something i could investigate.
    Cheers

selamat malam, guten tag........thats about all i know of other languages........half a year doing german and 2 and a half years indonesian and thats all i really got to show
    I am the Stig

Persoanally I would go with the Supra because in america its unpractical to have a right hand drive car. Both cars are awesome and both with the money can be pushed over 1000hp but then its also unpractical to drive around, so for me i would go with a Supra with around 500 to 600hp for practical everyday driving.

Quote Originally Posted by HBloverb18
    Persoanally I would go with the Supra because in america its unpractical to have a right hand drive car.
    Have you driven RHD before ?
    I drive an LHD Bagheera in UK regularly and did so for 2 years when I was 19.
    It's not difficult.
    In some cases it's actually safer.
    With the wider roads in the US ( I've driven there a lot ) it would actually be easier than trying LHD over here.
    You just learn a different style of driving.

Are there legal reasons which preclude RHD ?

PS: It's impractical, not un [ hmmm, just checked on-line and un is in Websters ! Another word created by you 'mericuns ]

Mara kiti belja bhasa indoneasea (we are all enjoying learning the indoneasian laguage i remberd that because i think it might come in handy one day ) I can speak a mild amount of german i can order a beer and a glass fo milk and a few other things but the rest of what i know are quite useful but not very appropriate for these forums.
    I also know capre deim which means cease the moment in latin and is also a song by metallica.
    Why would it be impractical you can drive left hook here in australia the only catch being you mjust have a large sticker on the back of your car saying CAUTION LEFT HAND DRIVE and the only other downfall i can think off (other then rego being a slight pain) is you would have to be careful overtakeing a truck on the highway and itll be hard to make an order in a drive through without a passenger...other then that it wouldent hurt in the slightest not need to open your door near traffic and stuff sounds good.

lol well if u ever go to germany, you'll probably make good use of being able to order a beer in the native tongue....

well all the garbage trucks are fitted with 2 steering wheels and properly signified so on the back, but i heard that they passed some law saying you can only register a LHD car thats over 30 years. i think anything newer you have to put it under club rego

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon500
    mjust have a large sticker on the back of your car saying CAUTION LEFT HAND DRIVE
    That'
    s going to ruin the look of any decent car
    and the only other downfall i can think off (other then rego being a slight pain) is you would have to be careful overtakeing a truck
    It's not as bad as you imagine.
    Yes, there are times you can't overtake when you may have been able to squeeze out and in with RHD.
    BUT, you learn to read more of the road.
    Look up the inside of the car/truck in front - which is a LOT easier to do.
    I learned to read more about the road ahead at a very young age as LHD was one of tmy first cars. When I came to do my bike test, the instructor and examiner both commented about my 'vision' and I put it down to that experience.

The best thing about a passenger is when you've checked up the inside and know the road ahead is clear and just whip out to overtake.
    They think you're doing it blind - the look of panic is a joy to behold
    With brother, whoever was passenger would ride shotgun and call an overtake maneouvre from their seat. The confidence to act only comes from rallying as drive/navigator
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    That'
    s going to ruin the look of any decent car
    Its not as bad as you might think we have a 50s studebaker bullet nose in the Studebaker club me and my father are mebers too and it didnt really take anything away from the car (the sign is basicly a yellow sticker thats about a foot long and about an inch thick and goes along the bumper or rear windshield)

[/QUOTE]
    It's not as bad as you imagine.
    Yes, there are times you can't overtake when you may have been able to squeeze out and in with RHD.
    BUT, you learn to read more of the road.
    Look up the inside of the car/truck in front - which is a LOT easier to do.
    I learned to read more about the road ahead at a very young age as LHD was one of tmy first cars. When I came to do my bike test, the instructor and examiner both commented about my 'vision' and I put it down to that experience.

The best thing about a passenger is when you've checked up the inside and know the road ahead is clear and just whip out to overtake.
    They think you're doing it blind - the look of panic is a joy to behold
    With brother, whoever was passenger would ride shotgun and call an overtake maneouvre from their seat. The confidence to act only comes from rallying as drive/navigator [/QUOTE]
    As i said i was pointing out the only downfalls wwhich thanks to you dont even seems as bad as they were before (i can only imagine LHD being a bad thing here for an inexperianced or bad driver) that said i know this from my own reasherch as i have said in numerous threads i wouldent mind getting my mitts on a yank car ofsome varity (either a muscle car or a latemodel pony car...i havea real weakness forthe foxbody muzzos)

No i was saying its impractical for everyday driving because as far as drive thru and toll booths go and things of that matter its jsut on the wrong side

Quote Originally Posted by HBloverb18
    No i was saying its impractical for everyday driving because as far as drive thru and toll booths go and things of that matter its jsut on the wrong side
    Nah, it's just practice for those overhead basketball shots.
    Dime over the roof rim-shot
    But, yep that is a problem - furtunately in the UK we don't have many of those yet
    By the time it encroaches on the free roads of Scotland hopefully it will be all electronic
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

It seems to me that there's some mis-information in this thread...Mainly the weight of both vehicles...Someone said the Skyline is 600lbs heavier than the Supra...All I can do is laugh, seriously though..indeed the skyline is heavier due to the AWD, but the Supra is by far not a lightweight...Not to mention there's different weights for the R32/33/34, with the R32 being the lightest GT-R. I'm not sure about in different places, but here in the U.S. Supras are a dime a dozen.
    I've driven both Supra's(89,91,94,97) and Skyline's(R32,R34)...A close friend of mine imports half cuts, so I get to have lots of fun.. Anyways, the 94 and 97 Supra's have a nasty feel when pushed hard, there's very little warning when the rear starts to slide, it's plainly just...Heavy, and it feels like it.. The older 89 and 91 I drove wasn't as bad, the 89 was down on power due to the 7MGTE it has but overall driving feel was actually quite respectable..The 91 is a different story, the owner swapped in the 2JZ and lots of work..So this car isn't a good comparison, very fast though...

The Skylines felt nearly identical, but the R32 was my personal favorite... They were both similarly modded, both had T04R's with fuel upgrades(injectors,pump)... These things are a absolute blast to drive, dump the clutch at 7000rpm's and the rear tires would do about 2-2.5 rotations before the fronts would grip.. Repeatedly abused, the clutch felt as it always does, no fading/slipping etc...

Now about longevity, some may dispute this because this is the first time i've been here but... A totally stock bottom end 2JZGTE will hold 1200-1300HP before failure...Where the RB26DETT will hold nearly 2200HP, no joke... The supra's tranny is also weaker, stock...

I imagine someone will come in here and say the whole 2.6 vs 3.0 liter argument... But as some here already know, the 3.0 liter can be bored/stroked to 3.3-3.4L's...Where as the RB series of engines can be swapped within each other to achieve the same result...A RB26's head can be fitted to the RB30E block, and then stroking can also bump that higher....

About the 1/4 mile thing...Someone posted a picture of a Supra running high 6's...Now, how many people do you know that will drive a 6 second car on the street? Hell, even a 8 second car? Do you know how incredibly fast that is on the street? Plus that particular car is a full tube frame, fiberglass bodied monster... You can't possibly throw that car into the comparison, it's just too different.

There's two thing's that I think are better with the Supra over the GT-R.
    1. Replacement parts availability
    2. Aerodynamics

Everybody remember, these are street cars...How much power do you need for the street? Let me rephrase that, how much power can you PUT DOWN on the street? Whatever number you have in your head, it's still not exceeding the limits of either motors. It comes down to your personaly choice, with styling and comfort...And I could care less about comfort, you want comfort get a BMW 760il or any highway cruiser...

Don't forget the Skyline also comes in RWD...The RWD R32 weighs about 250-300lbs less than a 96 Supra...Both being RWD, however the RWD R32 comes with the RB25DET, single turbo 2.5...But why wouldn't you want the RB26 for that RWD?

Sorry for the rant, but I just wanted to share my experiences with these two automobiles... I gain nothing either way, I own a 89 Starion ESi-R..several actually.. Thanks for listening

Quote Originally Posted by StarQuester
    I've driven both Supra's(89,91,94,97) and Skyline's(R32,R34)...A close friend of mine imports half cuts, so I get to have lots of fun.. Anyways, the 94 and 97 Supra's have a nasty feel when pushed hard, there's very little warning when the rear starts to slide, it's plainly just...Heavy, and it feels like it.. The older 89 and 91 I drove wasn't as bad, the 89 was down on power due to the 7MGTE it has but overall driving feel was actually quite respectable..The 91 is a different story, the owner swapped in the 2JZ and lots of work..So this car isn't a good comparison, very fast though...

Everybody remember, these are street cars...How much power do you need for the street? Let me rephrase that, how much power can you PUT DOWN on the street? Whatever number you have in your head, it's still not exceeding the limits of either motors. It comes down to your personaly choice, with styling and comfort...And I could care less about comfort, you want comfort get a BMW 760il or any highway cruiser...

Sorry for the rant, but I just wanted to share my experiences with these two automobiles... I gain nothing either way, I own a 89 Starion ESi-R..several actually.. Thanks for listening
    I dont know how your post is going to be recieved. It is at least an order of magnitude greater in anything approaching experience, objectivity and rationale than most previous posts on this subject that I can recall.
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

Thread Information