Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any help is appreciated

Any help is appreciated

I am looking to get into racing, and obviously you need to win local races before getting a factory ride, but once i win some races what should i do to try and get into Factory racing and go to races such as Sebring and Le Mans? Any help would be great, send me a message or post something. thank you!
    He came dancing across the water
    With his galleons and guns
    Looking for the new world
    In that palace in the sun
    On the shore lay Montezuma
    With his cocoa leaves and pearls

It takes quite a bit to get to lemans and such. You should consider hardcore SCCA first. How old you, it helps to start out young.
    "We went to Wnedy's. I had chicken nuggest." ~ Quiggs

yea, dont expect to be the next schumacher anytime soon, because it takes decades to get to that level

i dont plan on being the next schumacker, maybe the next andretti, hahaha ya right. But yea im 13, and have been driving my parents cars since i was 6 or so, including my dad's porsches. I really would like to do whatever it takes to get to that level, and then retire and open my restaraunts, ive been cooking since 6 also. I would like to race an ultima gtr and a porshce GT-3 RS. I will be getting a porsche when i am 16 and will track it and get race expierience with it. Any more help would be awesome!

I think johnnynumfiv had the best idea of getting into SCCA. Ton's of good racing in that organization, and you could learn a lot talking with some veteran professional drivers at races. SCCA has a series for just about any sort of racing you would like to do. Great stuff SCCA is.
    VIVA FERRARI!!!!!!

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy!" ~ Benjamin Franklin

If everything's under control, you're going too slow ~ Mario Andretti

"We can't stop here! This is bat country!" ~ [U]Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas: A Savage Journey into the Heart of the American Dream[/U]

10 minutes from Lingenfelter's... aren't you jealous?
    Go karts. May not sound too "hardcore" but that where all the great get there starts. It's one of the purest form of racing IMO, not all that high tech, cheap to run, and you need real talent to race on competivley. Plus, you can do all the work on it yourself. I dunno what kind of stuff is in you area, but I hear the Skip Barber schools are really good, they have open wheel cars there.

if you afford a Porsche at 16 . you have a good chance of getting to Lemans with a paycheck .. but if you want to get a factory drive .. you'll have to learn ... 13 . hmm . you could do karting .. and then any single seater series is good . FFord . FRenault .. then progress ... F3 etc
    also . if your dream is LeMans ..consider moving to Europe .. i really thing you'll have better chances
    There is no terrible way of winning
    there is just winning

Well first, you're going to have to decide what you want to do - race at the top or be a restauranteur.

BECAUSE, you won't get far in racing without SINGLE DEDICATION and FOCUS.

As has been siad, yes you might be able to 'buy' yourself a drive, but that's a WHOLE lot different from competing

Learnign race craft is crucial and no matter how fast or good you think you are in a Porsche, a track with 20 other guys trying to go faster with better equipment is a different world.

Dedication, reactions, spacial awareness, peripheral vision, strength, intelligence, engineering are all needed to be acquired, learned, honed to make a GOOD driver.

Great drivers then need to either KEEP on practising ( Hill, Mansell, Prost, Coulthard ) OR have an inate 'something' which gives them the edge ( Fangio, Lark, Stewart, Senna, Schumacher ).

You need to be good before you can become great. There are thousands of 'natural' racers who lack one of the skills listed above and never make it beyond club racing. It can be expensive to find that out - financially and emotionally.

The route's covered in another thread somewhere and the main points already listed here.

Karts at your age ( a wee bit of a late start, but as long as you dont' mind getting beaten by kids 3 years younger than you a good place to start )
    OR, if parents are willing to fund and try to shortcut then contact local track for single seater training. A couple of hundred hours with tuition might short-circuit many of the paths learned during kart years BUT wont' help on "racecraft". It is one of the hardest skill to acquire and can prove the downfall of many good careers.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by my porsche
    I will be getting a porsche when i am 16 and will track it and get race expierience with it. Any more help would be awesome!
    You have to be 18 or older to race SCCA and most club events. You should have started in kart a while ago to be able to get up in the high levels of racing. One thing you could do, is go to race tracks and just watch how ppl handle the cars through corners and such. Also, try dirt track racing with big block stock cars, even if you don't like it, you still gain experience, and you can race these from abuot 14 or 15.
    "We went to Wnedy's. I had chicken nuggest." ~ Quiggs

I will be getting a porsche when i am 16 and will track it and get race expierience with it. Any more help would be awesome!
    Missed that......

IMHO that is the WORST thing you could do, frankly.

Porsche are extremely stabel and are designed to have failry neutral characterisitcs.

You'd be better learnign with somethign which lets loose at lower speeds and has more capability for you to adjust corner weights, spring and damper ratings and tyres. Otherwise you learn how to drive but not race - whcih is 90% setup !!!!
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    Missed that......

IMHO that is the WORST thing you could do, frankly.

Porsche are extremely stabel and are designed to have failry neutral characterisitcs.

You'd be better learnign with somethign which lets loose at lower speeds and has more capability for you to adjust corner weights, spring and damper ratings and tyres. Otherwise you learn how to drive but not race - whcih is 90% setup !!!!

he wnats himself a good kitcar ive got something that you might be interested in ill scan it later for you, but unfortunately it mainly applies ot british racers
    Cedric - I sound like a chipmunk on there. Some friends of mine were like, "were you going through puberty?" I was like, no I was already 20, I just sound like a girl.

Here is the first set for

Starter motorsport #8: stock hatches
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Cedric - I sound like a chipmunk on there. Some friends of mine were like, "were you going through puberty?" I was like, no I was already 20, I just sound like a girl.

and here is the second one

Starter motorsport #5 : Karting

now dont tell me that i never help people
    Attached Images Attached Images

thanks you guys, im trying to find a kart in my price range because my dad wont pay for it and i will have to save pretty heavily to get one, does anyone have a reccomended brand or model of kart, i would like to get a 125cc model. send me a message with the link or post it, watever, thanks for the advice matra et alpine.

does anyone know what the re-sale value is on karts, do they hold there value? i am wondering because i will need to sell it when i am getting a car to pay for part. any help on this subject could be great,.

i have a book by bob bondurant on high performance driving and racing, and have seen several races, and have a good understanding of how to race, and most of the techniques, heel toe downshift etc.

i realise i shoulve started earlier but i messed around on dirt bikes, two wheels when i shouldve been on four. haha. thanks for the help guys keep it coming

does anyone know what the re-sale value is on karts, do they hold there value? i am wondering because i will need to sell it when i am getting a car to pay for part. any help on this subject could be great,.

try and go down to a kart race that is the best way to get info on it

Thread Information