Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hp vs. Torque

this is not scientifically correct but you can think of horsepower like this

when ur going really fast you need to put alot of force onto the pavement to accelerate or keep it at a constant speed because of air resistance, at 6000 rpm you may have low torque (but high horsepower) but since you're putting a little bit of torque each stroke, 6000 of those a minute is quite alot of force agaisnt the road, so you can think of it like net force

in 1 minute how much torque can u put down (hp is a function of work and time and work is force and displacement but for arguments sake remove that from the equation) thats what horsepower is about

but when coming out of a corner you need torque (unless u shift down) because ur engine is at such low revs you want to put down as much force onto the road per stroke since ur doing so little revs ... i hope this makes sense to the people who either havnt taken physics or dont understand it

its extremely simplified and if u told even a grade 9 physics teacher this he'd fail u but its just to make this easy to understand

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    torque is what you use on the street. it allows you to quickly get off the line and up to speed to the next signal. most cars that own on the street are torque monsters as opposed to HP demons.

on the road course, it's HP all the way, unless you hate downshifting out of corners. then you need the torque to quickly get you into the powerband.

drag racing treads a fine line. you want an engine that has the torque to get you out of the hole quickly, yet has the HP to carry you through the traps.
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

Quote Originally Posted by jcp123
    torque is what you use on the street.
    This is why driving a diesel powered car is so relaxing.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

amen. boy it's been a while since i've been in a diesel. wish we still had that ol 300SD. that thing was great, a real tank + no slouch when the turbo spooled up.

it still annoys me to no end though how stupid the EPA is on Diesels here in the States.

amen. boy it's been a while since i've been in a diesel. wish we still had that ol 300SD. that thing was great, a real tank + no slouch when the turbo spooled up.

it still annoys me to no end though how stupid the EPA is on Diesels here in the States.

If the 300SD was the last diesel you have been in, a whole new world has developed in the mean time, really turning the Merc into a slouch
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    If the 300SD was the last diesel you have been in, a whole new world has developed in the mean time, really turning the Merc into a slouch
    Oh, i've seen it. The new direct injection, common rail turbo diesels are really impressive going by the numbers...just a little too new school for me.

Oh, i've seen it. The new direct injection, common rail turbo diesels are really impressive going by the numbers...just a little too new school for me.
    going back to school has hurt nobody

I'm even in school too. College rocks.

In fact I've been thinking about a motorcycle here just for the gas mileage alone. If anyone knows where I could get an ol Kawi GPz 550 in decent shape in Northern California...

I'm even in school too. College rocks.

In fact I've been thinking about a motorcycle here just for the gas mileage alone. If anyone knows where I could get an ol Kawi GPz 550 in decent shape in Northern California...

EBay?

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    EBay?
    I've tried, but the only one I've seen close by at all was one in Washington State, a good 12 hour drive. Too far. Oh well. C'est la vie.

I've tried, but the only one I've seen close by at all was one in Washington State, a good 12 hour drive. Too far. Oh well. C'est la vie.

my knowledge of local bike suppliers in California is pretty limited I'm afraid.

"Hp vs. Torque"
    throw in gear ratios and you get a whole new world of solutions and problems
    UCP's Most Hardcore Burro!

Being human explains everything but excuses nothing

This thread Worked better than i thought it would, Thanks guys
    Last edited by kko; 09-25-2004 at 10:56 AM.
    < 1 - 2 - to the bass >

Quote Originally Posted by megotmea7
    "Hp vs. Torque"

The problems and solutions are the same, they only appear at other levels.

Quote Originally Posted by megotmea7
    "Hp vs. Torque"
    gear ratios effectively multiply your torque...so chalk another one up for torque

Thread Information