Thread: High speed driving

A fresh Authorized Mechanixfetch Contentious(sp) Issue, High speed driving

Since the Street racing thread seems to have taken off again I thought it would be a good time to initiate this topic. High Speed Driving. Street racing is one thing but high speed driving I think is another. I think it is hard to resist an open stretch of highway late at night or when no one else is around to just give a little speed run and burn off some testostorone. Not racing by anymeans just getting your heart pounding and engine roaring. Is high speed driving such a bad thing? or should it also be kept to the track alone?
    Last edited by mechanixfetch; 10-23-2004 at 11:40 PM.
    "If you feel like you're in control you're not going fast enough" - Mario Andretti

Two or three times per year I find myself in the only place in the world where high speed driving is legally allowed, namely on the German Autobahnen. The thrill to do it is there, but given the fact that these roads are never totally empty, and do have quite a number of exit and access roads, the level of attendence required is such that you really feel safer slowing down.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

i can only assume you mean "the level of ATTENTION required" there henk

german autobahns are crazy crazy places, but i would love to get a good performance car and hoon along a bit.
    halo 2 - november 9

at 3am if theres no one around then ill open it up to a whopping top speed of 150kph!
    The Datto will rage again...

Quote Originally Posted by danno
    i can only assume you mean "the level of ATTENTION required" there henk
    You are completely right, although the attendence level is too high to go really fast.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    You are completely right, although the attendence level is too high to go really fast.
    lol! yeah, but if you go at night theres hardly anyone around. it is slightly more dangerous at night though

they have HUGE traffic jams sometimes. they announce them on the radio, where they start and how long they are so people can avoid them.
    halo 2 - november 9

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Supra
    at 3am if theres no one around then ill open it up to a whopping top speed of 150kph!
    That's more like the cruising speed in Germany during quiet times.

on empty stretched I'll open up it really get's the adrennaline pumping go 200kph and abusing your engine
    "If you feel like you're in control you're not going fast enough" - Mario Andretti

Quote Originally Posted by danno
    lol! yeah, but if you go at night theres hardly anyone around. it is slightly more dangerous at night though

they have HUGE traffic jams sometimes. they announce them on the radio, where they start and how long they are so people can avoid them.
    An average rush hour morning in Holland will produce at least 200 km of traffic jam spread over 15-20 different black spots. I think the record now stands at over 1000 km, and you know how small a country it is.
    German autobahnen should be avoided at the beginning of any holiday period.

Quote Originally Posted by mechanixfetch
    on empty stretched I'll open up it really get's the adrennaline pumping go 200kph and abusing your engine
    I have seen 198 kph, and revs just below 4000, so that's not really abusing it.

done 228 with my uncle in germany

my swift starts producing a scary amount of lift after 120kmh, and doesnt go much further than 140kmh... but the way the steering wheel vibrates and how easy it is to skate across the road i wouldnt wanan go much faster

i done 200 maself on a nice long empty road, plus wit all 4 windows open!

i see nuthin wrong wit goin fast on an empty road, jus pray nuthin happens.
    wat the hell do i put as a siggy?!?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by mechanixfetch
    Since the Street racing thread seems to have taken off again I thought it would be a good time to initiate this topic. High Speed Driving. Street racing is one thing but high speed driving I think is another. I think it is hard to resist an open stretch of highway late at night or when no one else is around to just give a little speed run and burn off some testostorone. Not racing by anymeans just getting your heart pounding and engine roaring. Is high speed driving such a bad thing? or should it also be kept to the track alone?
    I think this is an interesting question since most of us here are into high performance cars. To be honest, if I find myself in an open and empty strech of highway I do like to floor it from time to time. As soon as I see a car comming up ahead of me, I'll slow down since I don't want to hurt anyone except maybe myself if I screw up somehow.

The perfect place to do this is a track of course, but it's hard to resist opening your car up if you have the chance. If you don't, then there is no point in buying a performance car. Just buy a regular car for daily use, and a race car for the weekends.
    "NEVER ALLOW SOMEONE TO BE YOUR PRIORITY, WHILE ALLOWING YOURSELF TO BE THEIR OPTION"

Imma gonna go out tonight in the ghet-tos of Mil-wa-kay and whup some punk-ass bitch up in my pimpin 900 horsepwer VTEC, baby, stock everything, the motor does all the work. Imma gonna go pick out some bitch's 996 GT3 and whup his lil pussy ass right on Maple street. Yeah bitch, the suburbs, bitch, sprawl bitch, it's all gonna fall down tonight, bitch, then nobodies evah gonna touch my ghet-to ass in my 900 hp Civic, bitch, not even those Crown Vic coppers, bitch.

note-kinda has a nice rythm to it, dontcha think?
    TOYNBEE IDEA IN KUBRICK 2001 RESURRECT DEAD ON PLANET JUPITER

Thread Information