Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BMW M3 vs. Subaru WRX

BMW M3 vs. Subaru WRX

Which one would you pick in a 0 to 100 MPH battle ??? I think the WRX 0 to 60 is 4.8 or 4.9 sec and the M3 is 5.2 sec (not sure if this is for the coupe or convertible). I think the M3 with SMG should win because of the reduced paddle shifting times. Any opinions ???

CARS....NOT...COMPARABLE...

Meant for different stuff but in a 0-100MPH it will be the M3.
    badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger

BMW. Period. It's just my opinion but I like BMWs more and I feel they are more powerful. I never had a thing for Subarus. BMWs are German and you don't mess around with German enginerring.
    "To control 800 horsepower relying just on arm muscles and foot sensitivity can turn out to be a dangerous exercise."
    Michael Schumacher

BMW all the way. I like the BMW M3 way more than the wrx, im not a big fan of that 4 cylinder turbo. It is powerful, but I would turbo the BMW M3 and just open a can of whoop ass on the subaru wrx.

I'd have to agree with D-quik that they aren't really comparable, hugely different price comletely different engine type, drive train, car layout, and overall purpose. But if you really want an answer Evo UK magazine has performance tested them both:

Subaru WRX: 0-60 in 5.5, 0-100 in 15.7

BMW M3: 0-60 in 5.1, 0-100 in 12.3

BMW wins pretty handsomely, as we could probably all predict.

Quote Originally Posted by Viper007
    BMW all the way. I like the BMW M3 way more than the wrx, im not a big fan of that 4 cylinder turbo. It is powerful, but I would turbo the BMW M3 and just open a can of whoop ass on the subaru wrx.
    Yeah but you can get the Subaru for almost half the price.... With what you have left you can upgrade the STI's Turbo or something.

Anyways, both stock the STI would probably win unless the M3 is SMG.. Then I would place my bet on the M3.

Quote Originally Posted by jameswithington
    I'd have to agree with D-quik that they aren't really comparable, hugely different price comletely different engine type, drive train, car layout, and overall purpose. But if you really want an answer Evo UK magazine has performance tested them both:

Subaru WRX: 0-60 in 5.5, 0-100 in 15.7

BMW M3: 0-60 in 5.1, 0-100 in 12.3

BMW wins pretty handsomely, as we could probably all predict.
    Many magazines got times of 4.9 for the STI and 4.8 for the EVO.

Quote Originally Posted by Niko_Fx
    Many magazines got times of 4.9 for the STI and 4.8 for the EVO.
    Yeah, it all depends very much on the conditions of the track and the tyres on the day. Also things like how much fuel there is weighing the car down can make a difference. I generally don't pay a lot of attention to the odd half a second inbetween times, the difference between say 4.0 and 4.5 secs to 60 doesn't mean much other than that they are both bloody quick! That sort of time can easily be lost with a crap gearchange or a slipping clutch on launch. It's only when the gap starts to open to a couple seconds like the difference between the 0-100 times of the M3 and WRX that you would really notice a difference when in the car I reckon.

In the case of cars like the Evo and Impreza the lower the speed they are timed to the better they tend to do because of their fancy 4wd systems. In a race from 0-30 they'll beat pretty much any rwd car sports car, after that their performance advantage will gradually begin to tail off against a good sports coupe like an M3. By the time they reach the dark side 100 they will be firmly in the rear view mirrors of a well sorted sports car.

Why in the name of the Spectacular Blue Flaming Hell would you want a car just to do 0-100mph races?

You do that how often each day?

Whilst I respect the abilities of both cars, the Subaru WRX is now the chariot of boy racers, and boy ricers. Meanwhile if you decide to take up BMW M3 ownership, be prepared for everyone to assume you are a drug dealer, including the police.

With both vehicles there is an equal likely hood of armed thieves breaking into your house to steal the keys.

The joys of performance car ownership in Britain!
    Thanks for all the fish

Quote Originally Posted by Coventrysucks
    With both vehicles there is an equal likely hood of armed thieves breaking into your house to steal the keys.

Don't complain, since I came down to Mexico, people have told me to stay away from anything like a BMW, MB, even the Corvette for that matter, here they don't break into your home at night to take the keys...they kidnap you while driving and take the car of course...plus they're asking rediculous amounts for randsome...$200,000.00 USD and up.

Oh, I'll go with the M3 BTW.

Taz
    "NEVER ALLOW SOMEONE TO BE YOUR PRIORITY, WHILE ALLOWING YOURSELF TO BE THEIR OPTION"

As much as I like the WRX/STi, I'd take an M3 here. Assuming I could afford either one.

Quote Originally Posted by Coventrysucks
    Why in the name of the Spectacular Blue Flaming Hell would you want a car just to do 0-100mph races?

You do that how often each day?

Whilst I respect the abilities of both cars, the Subaru WRX is now the chariot of boy racers, and boy ricers. Meanwhile if you decide to take up BMW M3 ownership, be prepared for everyone to assume you are a drug dealer, including the police.

I seriously doubt that people will break into my house just to get a car like the M3 when almost everyone in my neighborhood has a BMW or Mercedes. I was driving on the highway once and saw a BMW 760 Li, another time it was two Ferraris. I even saw a Maserati once. If you drive just one hour in my area I guarantee you will see at least one M3, M5, Benz S500, Audi A8, etc. BTW I do own an M3. The reason I asked the question is because my cousin wants to get a WRX and see which is faster.
    Last edited by diesel2029; 08-12-2004 at 06:45 PM. Reason: typo

m3's are getting more and more boring by the year. Make it heavier, make it more powerful...make it heavier, add a bigger engine....

the e30 m3 was a driver's car. The new one is for kids whose parents have too much money, or for drug dealers.

BMW is so lame now.....x5, x3, vastly less interesting cars, terrible styling....the ultimate driving machine? hardly.
    And Iraaaaaaaaaaaan

Iran's so far awaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay...

ROR

Hey, to the fool who started this discussion- next time get cars that you can compare. That's like comparing an Adidas jumpsuit with a Saville Row suit (guess which one is which....). Try M3 vs. RS6, and Subaru Impreza vs. Mitsubishi Evo.

Quote Originally Posted by IWantAnAudiRS6
    Hey, to the fool who started this discussion- next time get cars that you can compare. That's like comparing an Adidas jumpsuit with a Saville Row suit (guess which one is which....). Try M3 vs. RS6, and Subaru Impreza vs. Mitsubishi Evo.
    Again with the insults...

The RS6 isn't a competitor to the M3:

The Subaru Impreza/ Mitsubishi Evo is the automotive equivalent of a fake Burberry cap.
    The M3 is a genuine Burberry cap.
    The RS6 isn't quite Saville Row, that is more the realm of Bentley and Aston Martin.
    Thanks for all the fish

Thread Information