Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is this the end of pop up lights?

Is this the end of pop up lights?

With the new corvette C6 lights, the end of the lotus esprit and the Ferrari 456 soon to be replaced by the new 612 speggeti or what ever this famous ferrari designers called, theres no more pop up lights!
    Last edited by UK CARS; 02-20-2004 at 01:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by UK CARS
    With the new corvette C6 lights, the end of the lotus esprit and the Ferrari 456 soon to be replaced by the new 612 speggeti or what ever this famous ferrari designers called, theres no more pop up lights!
    Also the Mitsubishi 3000 stopped using them like in 1997. Yes, I think it's gonna be the end of pop up lights soon. The light they produce is as good as other lights, but u need a little motor to take them up and down which probably adds wheight to the car and after a few years you might have to replace it cause it broke (I don't really know I'm just looking for thinks that might influence the end of these lights)

When I was a kid my parents didn't have any car with pop up lights, and every time I saw one of the street i'd be like but now I don't really care about it...

Do you know which was the first car company to ever come up with that idea?

Quote Originally Posted by Niko_Fx
    Also the Mitsubishi 3000 stopped using them like in 1997. Yes, I think it's gonna be the end of pop up lights soon. The light they produce is as good as other lights, but u need a little motor to take them up and down which probably adds wheight to the car and after a few years you might have to replace it cause it broke (I don't really know I'm just looking for thinks that might influence the end of these lights)

When I was a kid my parents didn't have any car with pop up lights, and every time I saw one of the street i'd be like but now I don't really care about it...

Do you know which was the first car company to ever come up with that idea?

I dont know who created them but they also not good for the cars areo dynamics.

NooOoO

i love pop up lights!
    btw, it was made back in the 50's with harley earl's Y_Job. this was a very revolutionary car
    it had a first of a lot of things but the lights is all i can remember.
    but the corvette c-6 not having pop ups is horrible
    they're cool and they are traditional
    this will be the first time since 62 that a vette will have stationary lights....
    Last edited by kko; 02-20-2004 at 06:36 PM.
    < 1 - 2 - to the bass >

The aerodynamics part is true.

That's true when they're popped up.
    But you have to remember it wasn't that long ago that a headlamp was a very complex thing ( aka expesnive ) if you wanted something not round or rectangular.
    So getting decent lights into cars that were aerodynamic was a VERY expensive proposition even 10 years ago !!
    The compromise was pop-ups giving the best of both worlds.
    When down a VERY aerodynamic car but headlamps units cheap to design and manufacture.
    My experience with the A610 is that with the headlights up the drop in top speed of about 15mph isn't relevant as NOWHERE could I safely go THAT fast at night with only 300 watts of forward lighting

Another aside funny story .. the aerodyanmic drag of the headlamps on the Bagheera becomes critical as the cars age when the pneumatic light lift becomes weak ( it uses the inlet manifold vacuum from the engine at the REAR of the car !! ). Once the light is lifted an inch clear of the body a little spurt of extra speed helps pop them up quickly !!!! And there is NO way it can pull the lights closed if doing more then 40mph. But, why would you want to ??? Ah the joys of owning 'classic' cars

theres no more pop up lights!
    Yep, no need for them now.
    it's cheap to copmuter design reflectors and build special lamp and lense shapes to match the designers body outline.

I do predict that once flexible colour LCD panels become the norm that designers will start to use them in place of outer lenses. Clear when the lights are on and switched to 'body colour' when off. Damn I should have patented THAT idea .....

and the pop up lights cause a lot of damage to pedastrians if you would hit them

Cord first used them on the 810 of 1936.

This is my favorite car to use pop up lights. Its such a pretty little car!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Suka; 02-22-2004 at 10:03 AM. Reason: random words were left out! *strange*
    Just call me Tom

Please visit www.tomranson.com and make me feel loved.

I always thought pop-ups were cool, to bad they won't use them anymore.
    Wenn Sie wissen wollen, was einen volkswagen ein volkswagen macht, treibt es.

Quote Originally Posted by Suka
    This is my favorite car to use pop up lights. Its such a pretty little car!
    one of the unusual ones I quite like - and is on my wish list for post-historic rallying ....

or in it's most unusal paintjob by artist Sonia Delauney

I do have to point out that by the time a cars 10 years old the covers rarely line up with the bodywork anymore. You will never find a Bagheera where it is properly aligned - mind you they often came from the factory like that !!

Yes it is sad to see pop up headlights go especially on that hideous 612 Scagletti.

I just realised that the F40 uses pop up lights! Now that is my fav.
    Just call me Tom

Please visit www.tomranson.com and make me feel loved.

Thread Information