Thread: do bikes have a rev limiter?

do bikes have a rev limiter?

Do superbikes have a rev limiter or fuel cutoff when it reaches a certian rpm? My dad thought It would be simple to buy a fast bike and then retune it so The rev limiter is at 7500 rpm so i can look cool with a fast bike but not get into trouble. Or have a top speed limiter and limit it to 110 and then the fuel cut off kicks in.

Thanks,
    Nate
    UCP biggest mustang lover

the problem would be getting insured on this so called fast bike that has been limited...

you would have to get some sort of garage certificate to show the insurance company that its limited to a certain rpm/speed

and i doub't this would be easy to do

how technically/mechnically minded is your dad to be adjusting fuelcut off limiting on a superbike?
    www.britishmods.co.uk

Yes they do. I regularly hit the rev limiter on my ZX-6R. Its just like a slight pop pop then you know to shift. I dont do it on purpose...but under hard acceleration, they accelerate so fast that it hits the rev limiter with in a split second or 2.
    Top 10:
    1) Mclaren F1
    2) Dodge Viper
    3) BMW M5
    4) Ferrari F430
    5) Ferrari Enzo
    6) Corvette Z06
    7) Lamborghini Gallardo
    8) 1967 AC Cobra 427
    9) 1971 Hemi Cuda
    10) Mercedes SL55 AMG

Quote Originally Posted by paul
    the problem would be getting insured on this so called fast bike that has been limited...

you would have to get some sort of garage certificate to show the insurance company that its limited to a certain rpm/speed

and i doub't this would be easy to do

how technically/mechnically minded is your dad to be adjusting fuelcut off limiting on a superbike?
    Hes owns a body shop and Hes thought about tunning his drag car. Hes one of those guys who can do almost anything to a car. Im not worried about insurance because I dont have to pay for all of it just half if I get a bike but I have to have another vehicale to drive when its rainy and such. So basically he will be fine and shouldnt have trouble with it.

So furios Can it be done since you seem to know what your talking about.
    Last edited by rev440; 03-04-2006 at 03:18 PM.

By setting the rev limiter lower...it would not effect your insurance. Anyone could buy a fast bike and set the rev limiter lower then just remove it after its insured. Also, I would recommend to not even bother getting a bike if you are planning on putting a rev limiter on it. Bikes are no fun under 7500 rpm. Wait til you can handly it and go over 10,000 rpm...thats where the fun begins.
    Top 10:
    1) Mclaren F1
    2) Dodge Viper
    3) BMW M5
    4) Ferrari F430
    5) Ferrari Enzo
    6) Corvette Z06
    7) Lamborghini Gallardo
    8) 1967 AC Cobra 427
    9) 1971 Hemi Cuda
    10) Mercedes SL55 AMG

Its not about insurance its about learning to ride a bike and not having to buy a small bike like a ninja 500 and then bumping it up to a GSXR1000. It was my dads idea so I can learn how to ride a bike and it would also convince my mom because it wouldnt be nearly as fast.

Heres an idea: Stay off the gas.

Quote Originally Posted by h00t_h00t
    Heres an idea: Stay off the gas.
    That won't help with insurance and neither will a temporary cutoff.

I don't really know about your abilities with a bike, and your dad should know much better than anyone here but you should start with a small bike.

Here's my idea:

Get one of those 250cc enduro bikes with street tires, similar to those that they race in europe in rallycross style tracks. In case you don't know, rallycross mixes dirt and tarmac in their tracks. They slide around, are cool and they should prove a safe enviornment to start with. Then get a SV650, and then graduate to superbikes.

Edit: It's called supermoto and they have it in the US too...

One last recommendation: buy the best safety gear you can afford. With a bike it's not if you are going to fall but when you are going to.
    Last edited by magracer; 03-05-2006 at 10:22 AM.
    Zag when they Zig

I was told to get a SV650 for my first bike from a rider i know. My experiance is Ive rode many dirtbikes so i know how to tide a bike pretty well. I know its entirely different on the street but I have been told when you race a dirtbike it teaches you how to react to situations that can occur on the street. For instance people cutting u off and locking the back tire off. I dont really want an enduro because i already have a YZ125.

Quote Originally Posted by rev440
    I was told to get a SV650 for my first bike from a rider i know. My experiance is Ive rode many dirtbikes so i know how to tide a bike pretty well. I know its entirely different on the street but I have been told when you race a dirtbike it teaches you how to react to situations that can occur on the street. For instance people cutting u off and locking the back tire off. I dont really want an enduro because i already have a YZ125.
    If you have done dirt bikes and have plenty of experience then a SV650 would be a good next step IMHO.
    Zag when they Zig

I have an 05 GSXR aniversary edition, and have only hit my rev limiter a couple times. With my bike, it basically just prevents you from looping it while pulling a wheelie. As soon as my bike hits 10rpm, the front tire starts coming up, once hit hits 12k it just comes up faster and faster, if you got the balls to stay in it, you hit the rev limiter right past the balance point, and it starts to come down, till ya hit 2nd gear that is lol. You will be more then happy with teh 650, and it will take quite some time before you get to the point where you are riding beyond its performance...freak

Quote Originally Posted by magracer
    That won't help with insurance
    It will by next year; less accidents > less insurance.

My old CBR900 had a rev-limiter. Everytime I shifted down, it would chingk! and it was a funny sound. lol.
    The ability for outward expression is dependent on substance...

Quote Originally Posted by 6speed
    My old CBR900 had a rev-limiter. Everytime I shifted down, it would chingk! and it was a funny sound. lol.
    YOu are 17 and already had a CBR900? And you're alive? How long ago?
    I like those bikes. Show us a photo.
    Money can't buy you friends, but you do get a better class of enemy.

Inlet restrictors are used in the UK to allow large bikes to be ridden by new riders.

They limit the bike to 33hp.

Don't know of any "superbike" that has the restrictors though as it likely will make it lumpy

Limiting using the ECU woudl never be allowed as it's just TOO easy to remove the restrictor for short periods of time !! So can't see the insurance companies accepting it.

In the UK most folks don't really bother de-restricting a bike as it's easier to just buy a bigger one
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Thread Information