Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GM Ecojet Concept 2006

GM Ecojet Concept 2006

Tonight Show host Jay Leno introduces his turbine-powered EcoJet concept at the Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA) show in Las Vegas, Nevada Monday, October 30, 2006. The 650-horsepower (400 lb.-ft. of torque) Leno original is powered by a Honeywell LT-101 turbine engine that runs on bio-diesel fuel. The engine sits in a modified Corvette Z06 hydroformed aluminum frame with aluminum and magnesium structural and chassis components. The vehicle's shell is an advanced construction of carbon fiber over Kevlar.
    Last edited by 90ft; 10-31-2006 at 07:27 AM.

Anyone know how the turbine engine works? Does it spin the wheels, or just provide thrust like planes?
    Minimising losses can maximise net gains

I would imagine that, as with most gas turbine powered cars, it will power the wheels via a gearbox.

Otherwise going backwards might be a touch difficult.
    Thanks for all the fish

Odd looking but good, the lights are like the Cien.
    ALFA ROMEO-Poetry In Motion

I love this guy. He has so much fame power that he can go out and convince GM to build something like this mostly because they know he can give it great publicity.
    John says:
    so i had to dump acid into the block tank today
    i'm afraid to fap
    cause i got it on my hands

Everytime I see Leno his chin seems to be further from his nose.

Supercars in general are not renowned to be frugal on fuel consumption, but gas turbine powered ones will empty your tanks within very few miles....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

The concept is great, but as henk said, fuel consumption is horrible. So, it's a worthless concept. It just looks good......... and that's about it.

The design is Cien mates with Koenigsegg...interesting.

Is it mid-engined??
    UCP's BSG Nerd and a resident Freerider.
    flickr page:http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaru72/

LAS VEGAS - What would keep a group of automotive designers up all night? "Tonight Show" host Jay Leno, for starters, but not by his monologue or parade of Hollywood guests. This time it's because the late-night talk show host invited the General Motors Advanced Design Studio to help design a mid-engine, turbine-powered supercar called EcoJet. Leno and Ed Welburn, GM vice president of Global Design, introduced the car today at the Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA) show.

EcoJet's genesis goes back to a discussion between Leno, an avid car enthusiast and collector, and Bernard Juchli, the chief mechanic and caretaker of Leno's collection. Leno then turned to Welburn for design direction.

"A couple of paper napkins later, Ed had begun to capture the essence of the car," said Leno. "I've admired the work of GM's Design Studio in North Hollywood, Calif., and asked Ed if the studio's director, Frank Saucedo, and his guys could continue the design study,"

Welburn agreed, and a two-week sketching frenzy commenced as GM's designers began working after-hours with Leno's team on the project.

"EcoJet's esthetics were driven by aeronautical and jet-age influences," said Welburn. "It's a purpose-driven design that conveys power, capability and even danger, with a hint of Cadillac's sophisticated design vocabulary."

Borrowing design cues from jet aircraft and Formula One racecars, the supercar began to take shape under the watchful eyes of Leno and Welburn. A concurrent engineering program defined the vehicle's proportions and mechanics.

Leno relied on Juchli and the entire Big Dog team at his garage to turn the EcoJet vision into a reality.

"We thought we pushed the creative envelope with the '66 twin turbo Toronado project with GM, but this turbine-powered monster is a whole new level of complexity," said Juchli, who constructed the car at Leno's facility.

The 650-horsepower (400 lb.-ft. of torque) Leno original is powered by a Honeywell LT-101 turbine engine that runs on bio-diesel fuel. The engine sits in a modified Corvette Z06 hydroformed aluminum frame with aluminum and magnesium structural and chassis components. The vehicle's shell is an advanced construction of carbon fiber over Kevlar.

EcoJet project partners

* GM Advanced Design Studio, North Hollywood, Calif. - conceptual and build design, engineering, digital design and fabrication support
    * Alcoa - chassis and wheel engineering
    * Metalcrafters - body engineering and construction
    * Honeywell - engine supplier
    * Intermountain Turbine - engine builders
    * Dana - chassis supplier
    * BASF - paint and finishing supplies
    * GE Plastics - Lexan windows
    * Viper Technologies - wheel construction

General Motors Corp. (NYSE: GM), the world's largest automaker, has been the global industry sales leader for 75 years. Founded in 1908, GM today employs about 327,000 people around the world. With global headquarters in Detroit, GM manufactures its cars and trucks in 33 countries. In 2005, 9.17 million GM cars and trucks were sold globally under the following brands: Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, GMC, GM Daewoo, Holden, HUMMER, Opel, Pontiac, Saab, Saturn and Vauxhall. GM operates one of the world's leading finance companies, GMAC Financial Services, which offers automotive, residential and commercial financing and insurance. GM's OnStar subsidiary is the industry leader in vehicle safety, security and information services. More information on GM can be found at www.gm.com.

# # #

ECOJET SPECIFICATIONS

Vehicle description:

mid-engine, turbine-powered, two-seat supercar

Wheelbase (in / mm):

110 / 2795

Engine:

Honeywell LT-101

Horsepower @ % turbine speed):

650 @ 70

Torque (lb-ft @ % turbine speed):

400 @ 70

Fuel type:

bio-diesel

Wheels:

20 x 10-in front
    22 x 12-in rear

Tires:

255/35R20 front
    305/30R22 rear

Track (in / mm):

66.9 / 1698 front
    66.6 / 1692 rear

Overall length (in / mm):

184 / 4674

Overall width ( in / mm):

79.4 / 2024

Overall height (in / mm):

46.5 / 1180

"I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

GM Ecojet Concept #2
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Audi humbles Porsche. A new dawn starts today.

Being nice since 2007.

Thread Information