Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Day of Victory

The Day of Victory

today, the 9th of May Russia celebrates The Day of Victory in the Second World War. There are a lot of patriotic films on TV (no only russian), different programs. We had a military parade in the mornig and a salute in the evening. Tell about how does your country celebrate this day, when it is celebrating. May be yuo know something interesting about this war?

to tell you the truth we really dont celebrate it, are you refering to when russia droped out of the war after germany was defeted or the japanese camaigns also?
    UCP's Most Hardcore Burro!

Being human explains everything but excuses nothing

Here in Kyrgyzstan they also celebrated, and I saw part of the Moscow parade on TV. I also saw rhe Grozny parade. It seems not everybody feels liberated!!
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by megotmea7
    to tell you the truth we really dont celebrate it, are you refering to when russia droped out of the war after germany was defeted or the japanese camaigns also?
    It comes as little surprise it is not celebrated in the US. Its a bit harsh to say Russia "dropped out of the war after Germany." They did take a bit of a hiding.
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

As none of you actually know, I was born in Russia and came to Australia only in 1995. I heard about the land mine in the Grozny stadium on the news and how the Chechnian President died. I wonder what will happen in relations between Russia and Chechnya now?
    "Please, just stop blabbering! If you want to blabber...go to supercars.net cause UCP aint gonna accept this kind of behaviour." - Gtek-i

http://junaman.wordpress.com/ New articles up.

Quote Originally Posted by junaman
    As none of you actually know, I was born in Russia and came to Australia only in 1995. I heard about the land mine in the Grozny stadium on the news and how the Chechnian President died. I wonder what will happen in relations between Russia and Chechnya now?
    I think nothing will happen in our relations. It is only another terrible terrorist attack. Two years ago at this day in Chechnya 40 humans died on military parade after terrorist attack.

And about Victory i think that rusiian-german front was the main in Second World War. More than 20 milllion russian people died. Do you know any country, which had so mush victims?

Sorry, I had not properly read this comment before, but it were actually the Russians that dealt the decisive blow to the German army, (remember Stalingrad, it's on Discovery TV very regularly), with great loss of human life. Everywhere in Europe liberation day is celebrated, because it offcially meant the end of a five year German occupation. As the USA has never been occupied, and only once directly attacked (Pearl Harbour) there is obviously less need to celebrate the end of the war.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by gonzo
    I think nothing will happen in our relations. It is only another terrible terrorist attack. Two years ago at this day in Chechnya 40 humans died on military parade after terrorist attack.
    Other sources would say that it is the justified revenge on a person that defected from the Chechnya freedom fighters and joined forces with the Russian occupation power. History will prove which version will endure.

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    Other sources would say that it is the justified revenge on a person that defected from the Chechnya freedom fighters and joined forces with the Russian occupation power. History will prove which version will endure.
    Chechnya always was russian region. Russian forces didn't occupate it. After perestroyka different crime groups began their activity. They kidnapped people (not only russian) and hijacked all this region. As you know there is a lot of oil in Chechnya. So russian forces began to free Chechnya. First war ended in 1996. Situation after it didn't change. Second war began in 1999 and ended in 2000, but the situation in region didn't stable. Every month separatist groups kill people. Yesterday explosion show that it isn't truth about peace in this republic.

Here in the U.S. it's known as V-E Day, for Victory in Europe. V-J day, Victory over Japan, is in August. These dates are marked on some calenders, but not really widely celebrated, just sort of noted. The big holiday is Memorial Day, which honors all veterans, it's always the Monday after the last weekend in May, and is the traditional kickoff of summer. Lots of parades to honor veterans, everybody's off work, people traditionally have family gatherings, cookouts, etc.
    "The good news is, not one of the 50 states has the death penalty for speeding....although I'm not too sure about Ohio."

Sesquipedalian -- a really cool word. It means long-winded, polysyllabic, or verbose. See the word describes itself...isn't that neat?

1988 Nissan 200SX SE V6

UCP's most hardcore S12 fan!

Henk is right. If you did not live in Europe in WWII you only have part of the story. The US and Australia and many other participating nations lost many soldiers , but we did not have to endure the horrors on in our homes.
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

Quote Originally Posted by gonzo
    Chechnya always was russian region. Russian forces didn't occupate it. After perestroyka different crime groups began their activity. They kidnapped people (not only russian) and hijacked all this region. As you know there is a lot of oil in Chechnya. So russian forces began to free Chechnya. First war ended in 1996. Situation after it didn't change. Second war began in 1999 and ended in 2000, but the situation in region didn't stable. Every month separatist groups kill people. Yesterday explosion show that it isn't truth about peace in this republic.
    I do not necessarily disagree with you, I only wanted to indicate that other people involved might give a totally different story. In the unlikely case that Chechnya will separate from Russia, then that is going to be the version that is considered the truth.

Salute!

Comrades!
    Two words: Dodge Viper

i didnt mean that in any disrespect or downplay to russias loss during WWII nor did i imply it was the US that defeated germany, i was just wondering what he considered "the end of the war" from a russian point of view as cls12 pointed out with VE day and VJ day. i am familiar with the events of WWII as they are pounded into our heads as kids, and further educated by channels such as the history channel(which basicaly covers the world wars and the ocasional revolution or so), and the discovery channel.
    UCP's Most Hardcore Burro!

Being human explains everything but excuses nothing

I dont wanna be the smart ass of the thread, but i kinda beleive in the "there are no winners in war" theory. you might end up with a temporary victory and a final condition that is better than the opponent, but can u really call it victory ?
    yet i also beleive that wars are necessary sometimes, its a puzzling issue really.
    ----R.I.P----
    "Misho Ratio"
    2003 - 2004

Thread Information