View Poll Results: Which car will win the 2006 Wheels Car of the Year.

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • Alfa Romeo 159

5 8.47%
  • Audi Q7

3 5.08%
  • BMW 3-series Coupe

6 10.17%
  • Fiat Punto

4 6.78%
  • Holden Commodore VE

15 25.42%
  • Holden Statesman/Caprice WM

9 15.25%
  • Holden Captiva

0 0%
  • Honda Legend

3 5.08%
  • Mazda CX-7

2 3.39%
  • Mercedes S-Class

3 5.08%
  • Toyota Camry

1 1.69%
  • Toyota Aurion

6 10.17%
  • Toyota RAV4

0 0%
  • VW Passat

1 1.69%
  • VW Jetta

1 1.69%
Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: 2006 Wheels Car of the Year: what will win in a very strong field?

Quote Originally Posted by SlickHolden
    Overall it's best. Because as you said the Aurion hurts with the 1 engine tranny.
    but the VE largely had carryover engines and transmissions, which really needed to be upgraded
    much much worse

Well, at least the mid-spec VE models got a 5-speed autos and the V8s (yes, I know, carried over) got a tickle over and a 6-speed auto.
    But we've commented heaps of times here that the base Omega and the Berlina got the wrong engine/trans.
    UCP's biggest Ford Sierra RS500 and BMW M3 E30 fan. My two favourite cars of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by thatdbeme
    but the VE largely had carryover engines and transmissions, which really needed to be upgraded
    much much worse
    How much of VZ's powertrain was "largely carried over" in Holden VE?

I can think of one engine (180 V6) out of three, and its related four-speed auto (again one of three) and the 6.0 V8 (debut year) & six-speed manual. Anything else I've forgotten?

Both the Alloytec's got retuned for VE, but remained fundamentally the same. Likewise with the Gen4 V8, which recieved a rename from L76 to L98. The 5 speed auto had been present in VZ with the 190kw engine, so the V8's 6 speed auto is the only truly new item.

much much worse
    But your really stretching the argument of nothing here.
    It's the base and only the base engine transmission combo with questions
    You don't replace newly built engines after 2 years. I can't think of anyone that does it. But you wont here anyone defend the 4 speed auto here.
    Last edited by SlickHolden; 01-23-2007 at 08:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SlickHolden
    But your really stretching the argument of nothing here.
    It's the base and only the base engine transmission combo with questions
    You don't replace newly built engines after 2 years. I can't think of anyone that does it. But you wont here anyone defend the 4 speed auto here.
    i really dont see it as nothing.
    and in general the car introduced is just keeping up. the engines dont really get them ahead, they have a 4 speed auto on a base model which is not acceptable, but even with the 5 speed on the V6s, they a really only keeping pace with everyone else at a bare minimum. air con still isnt standard on the base model and when considering safety and comfort they are just keeping up with the rest of the market. there is no innovation.

A lot of the Japanese cars lack safety credentials - unless they're the range topper
    uʍop ǝpısdn sı ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎɯ

and in general the car introduced is just keeping up. the engines dont really get them ahead, they have a 4 speed auto on a base model which is not acceptable, but even with the 5 speed on the V6s, they a really only keeping pace with everyone else at a bare minimum. air con still isnt standard on the base model and when considering safety and comfort they are just keeping up with the rest of the market. there is no innovation.
    You're quite right - most of us on this site have been slamming the V6's lack of refinement, the 4-speed auto and the lack of airconditioning since day 1.
    However, Slick is also right - Holden won't replace an all-new engine only two years after it was introduced. They have a lot of work to do on engine refinement however.
    UCP's biggest Ford Sierra RS500 and BMW M3 E30 fan. My two favourite cars of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by motorsportnerd
    Well - I guess you won't be buying Wheels again.

Officially announced - Holden Commodore VE is Wheels Car of the Year for 2007.
    Oh grow up - just because they don't agree with you.

I happen to think it's a good choice, perhaps not the best choice when you look at the specifics, but the package is a good one. and, despite the fact it's only incrementally better than the competition, better is still better.

a worthy win.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows
    Oh grow up - just because they don't agree with you.

I happen to think it's a good choice, perhaps not the best choice when you look at the specifics, but the package is a good one. and, despite the fact it's only incrementally better than the competition, better is still better.

a worthy win.
    Um, I was responding tongue in cheek to thatdbeme. And letting everyone know the official result. Sorry for any offensive.
    You've probably read most of my comments on the Commodore and Wheels COTY. I haven't actually said that the choice of the Commodore a bad choice at any point. I'll make it really, really clear - I actually think the V8 Commodores are excellent cars and the V6 cars with the 5-speed also are pretty good. And I've said that in the past.

Edit: I can see how the statement "Well - - I guess you won't be buying Wheels again." could be misinterpreted. Bad English on my part. I definitely won't stop buying Wheels (I bought the COTY issue today in fact) - I was referring to the previous poster. I guess I should've just announced the official result in the first post and then given a tongue in cheek reponse to thatbeme in the next post. If the mods want to clean my post and make it into two separate posts up - feel free. Apologies for any confusion I may have caused.
    Last edited by motorsportnerd; 01-23-2007 at 11:27 PM.

MSN, i think youre the victim of misquoting

yes, very confusing

Your still strechting it out here..
    80% of the base model cars in the country are sold with a 5 speed manual or 4 speed auto.
    With engines, I know all about your thought on pushrod motors What was it you said inefficient low tech crap would you say that on the 300c forums? But you think the 300c is gold? Big questions there on your ability's too be unbiased when making comments about commodore. Or falcon for that matter... Your thoughts of falcon commodore owners are hoons bogans and nothing more. Is that fair? Guess i'm a hoon and bogan then.
    So when it comes too your comments they always carry a large part of biased with them. Why because you drive a FWD Honda and everybody tells me it's not a real car because it's FWD... So you need too hate the RWD cars now? I'll tell you something as i have learnt, Try and make a gap in the middle and go on it. I'm open too anything but you have a real nasty spiteful hate for 2 but 1 more so.

Back too the V6 with 5 speed.. Better too keep up on the leaders then lag behind like the base model engine transmission does.
    V8 engines are very good even for pushrod..
    As for suspension ride etc it's not just keeping up at bare minimum it's ahead bare minimum.
    Safety anyone that moans about a 4.5/5 ratting has issues.

But what do you want?

Holden too design a 500kg car that's got the strength of a hummer? Or a engine that's 1lt large electric petrol that runs @ 1.1l/100km but has 400kw and 700Nm? Drives by itself sit back and have a smoke?.. When it comes too the large car in this market they are all close together because it doesn't offer a advantage too move 10 generation ahead of the competition.. You really nit pick.

I'm sure you enjoy driving your Honda Accord around the ACT, And i'm sure you love it, I might also. But think of this for ever person you bag or degrade because you say you get the same for driving a honda Accord FWD remember this it will never end when it's always a gotta get back at you thing. You got upset because someone might have said your un Australian because you don't drive a Commodore or Falcon.. Think about how you felt and then think about the comments you say about Falcon Commodore drivers before you cry fowl?.

I'm not here too fight with you, You can love what you want and hate what you want, Just don't let the hate eat you when you make rude and nasty comments as i have seen in other places.

i drive a honda accord i dont feel un australian
    people like u dont need to be on this go to supid land where your mind is ass - toyota4ever

ricers suck...pasta rockets for life - sicilian973-2

My mums best mate drives a Honda bus she calls it like a small little bus with 5 doors i'm the last person that's going too bag another car.
    I wanted too buy a Camry last year too get around in just encase Should have got it now.

Thread Information