Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 350 big block? True or False?

Quote Originally Posted by johnnynumfiv View Post
    I might be putting a 348 into my el camino.
    For what purpose? Not saying it's a bad choice but why would you go with a big block 348 instead of a 350 or larger small block? Or a larger big block?

I might be putting a 348 into my el camino.
    screw that, Z06 motor FTW
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    For what purpose? Not saying it's a bad choice but why would you go with a big block 348 instead of a 350 or larger small block? Or a larger big block?
    That's what was in it originally.

Z06 powerplant= 15g's
    "We went to Wnedy's. I had chicken nuggest." ~ Quiggs

That's what was in it originally.
    Oh... from your earlier post I didn't think the 348 came in el camino's/chevelles (you only mentioned impalas.)
    Also the small block came as a 305 which you didn't mention... code L04 and LB9 comes to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    Oh... from your earlier post I didn't think the 348 came in el camino's/chevelles (you only mentioned impalas.)
    Also the small block came as a 305 which you didn't mention... code L04 and LB9 comes to mind.
    The 348's were in the 1st gen el caminos(1959-60), which shared the same frame as the impala, bel air, biscayne etc, 58-61.

Chevelles didn't recieve 348's(discontinued already) or 409's(available in larger cars) since they were released as a 64 model, and the 409 was being phased out at that time.

The 305 was a later model small block.
    Last edited by johnnynumfiv; 11-11-2007 at 07:56 PM.

So what im getting from this is...Yes, there is one 350 BB but it was pointless once they could make a 350 SB? Being the SB had the same displacement but was smaller and lighter. Correct?

PS never bet with someone who "doesn't lose", it just means that they don't pay.
    1987 Pontiac GTA Trans Am (Parked-Project car)
    Orange/Cloth
    Future ideas:
    LS1/LT1 or Twin Screw S/C L98 TPI
    True duels/side pipes

2001 Hyundai Tiburon 2.0 (DD)
    Black/Black and Grey Leather

A 348 isn't a 350.

348's were made in the late 50's early 60's. The 350 was first used in 67.

all of you guys are actually wrong there is a big block 350 its callled a 350 rocket its an olds engine that came n 2 types big block and small block the advantage of the big block is that it actualy had more horsepower but less torque also the posibilities of t being bored is greater proportions then a small block do your homework and you will find that i am right cause i own one

Quote Originally Posted by dreed90 View Post
    all of you guys are actually wrong there is a big block 350 its callled a 350 rocket its an olds engine that came n 2 types big block and small block the advantage of the big block is that it actualy had more horsepower but less torque also the posibilities of t being bored is greater proportions then a small block do your homework and you will find that i am right cause i own one
    I assumed he was talking about Chevrolet. As all of the "350" engines of GM are different. It's hard to tell the difference between a 350 and 455 right?

yes, there was a 350 big block.
    A woman goes to the doctor to figure out why she is having breathing problems...The doctor tells her she is overweight. She says she wants a second opinion...the doctor says, "your ugly".

Hi

Hi,
    This is an important thing done by the people. They did the hard work at this stage.

Jim

My 70 Chevy Belair had a 350

And, in my 17 years in the Car business that is ALL I have ever known there to be in a 350 is a small block. . . Now, he may be confusing that with the bullet proof Small block 350 4-bolt main. . . DEFINITELY, the choice of 350's to build around. . . Other than the 2 different sizes of 400 block that is about all I know.

deffinitely small block

Yea

I gets me mad when people say there is such thing as a 350 bb, its all bs

How can you guys be car guys and not know that there's a 350 big block? It makes me wonder if they weren't used as much in the United States as they were in Canada. Millions of cars have them. I had a 77 firebird with one. I"m not sure if it was original, but it sure was a 350 big block. I still have a '77 Oldsmobile Delta 88 which my grandparents bought new, with it's original 350 big block. Pontiac, Buick and Oldsmobile shared this engine and put it in all kinds of cars. It looks just like any big block from those brands. Anywhere a 350 big block is sitting, a 455 will bolt right in. I have made this swap several times. Also, the 301 turbo and non turbo is a big block and can be swapped out for a 350 BB or a 455. Straight exchange.

I think the Chevy small block 350 is a more versatile engine and is better for all kinds of reasons, but you can squeeze tons of power from a 350 BB if you wanna spend the money.

Thread Information