Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: This is a Safe Place

Quote Originally Posted by Rasmus View Post
    I think we looked at a 2011 Legacy, does that count for something? Again, not disappointed, but not impressed. I don't think I'd want to look at one on a daily basis.
    Fair enough. That's a fifth gen; the previous one is a lot more handsome. I would not want to look at that every day either. I don't want to look at our Mazda every day, but I have to. Man, it is absolutely hideous. 0.5/10.

I understand where you are coming from though.

On paper, Asian cars sound a whole lot better than they do whenever I drive them.
    Try to get hold of one of the new Mazdas 3 Skydrivegreenmotive.

Brilliant to drive and I think the interior has progressed to 2006!
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    Fair enough. That's a fifth gen; the previous one is a lot more handsome. I would not want to look at that every day either. I don't want to look at our Mazda every day, but I have to. Man, it is absolutely hideous. 0.5/10.

I understand where you are coming from though.
    Mazdas definitely rank higher on my list than most other Asian cars. They have that little bit of crazy going for them.

Even though it was dirt cheap, terribly practical, and surprisingly reliable, I still had to look at this for the better part of 3 years:
    Turning money into memories.

Is that an Oldsmobile or something?
    Visca Catalunya!

Mercury Mountaineer. Ford thought they could upmarket the old Ford Explorer under the Mercury brand. Mine was with the 210hp 4.0 V6 with 210hp to a permanent AWD through, of course, a slushbox. It averaged around 6 km/l. It had peeling paint and a couple of door dings from impatient soccer moms in supermarket parking lots.

I'm not sure what they were thinking, or that they got rid of those designers. It's about as ugly as the new Focus interior.
    Last edited by Rasmus; 10-24-2014 at 02:26 PM.

It's terrible indeed.

At least Mercury is no more and such experiments have ceased.
    Visca Catalunya!

Seeing a Pontiac Aztek on the road while driving the Mountaineer always made me feel better. And prettier.

Sometimes I forget about Mercury. And Olds. Mercury died in Canada in 1999; we were ahead of the times for once!

By the way, since we were speaking of Ferraris on the Testarossa's thread, and to not get Revo any more angry (by bombing the thread):

I think the Ferrari 250 GTO is massively overrated.
    Visca Catalunya!

I tend to side with you on that.

It's pretty awesome. Should it be one of if not the most expensive cars? No.

I tend to prefer the 250TR over the GTO. Of course, I've only been somewhat close to a couple, and haven't driven any of them.

When I hear about these cars sold at auction, I get this feeling that a bunch of obscenely rich folks are sitting around playing with Monopoly money, not really knowing what to do with it. Case in point; Ron Pratte.

I am, however, extremely thankful to those who then take them out on the streets and tracks.

I don't mind the prices; it's supply and demand.

For me the problem is that they are not that beautiful (especially the '64 Series II) and while they were successful race cars, there have been other similarly successful race cars that do not get the acknowledgement.

If I had to have Ferrari I'd rather get a 250 TdF, a 250 California or a 250 California.
    Visca Catalunya!

I like the 250 GTO a lot, but I definitely prefer the GTL.

One of the things that has always struck me about Ferraris from that period is that the designers forgot to pen the rear end. The cars just sort of end; a comparison to Bangle butt would be unfair, but there it is. Maybe Clarkson was onto something with the Francis Bacon quote when he reviewed the 8C Competizione.

Despite the rear, the GTL is my favoritest road-going Ferrari.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

I tend to prefer the 250TR over the GTO.
    The original TRs never did it for me. I for one, hate the pontoons.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    I don't mind the prices; it's supply and demand.
    The prices don't bother me either. I just don't think that this specific car should be the exemplar and paragon of the high end car market, as well as ultimate of any car at auction. Others? Sure. I think some P cars should be attaining those prices. Look at Mr. Glick's example. That car is absolutely insane; a car that could launch a thousand ships, and the Ps are much rarer than GTOs.

Bugattis are slightly over-fetishized in my view, but there are some spectacular variants.

If I had to have Ferrari I'd rather get a 250 TdF, a 250 California or a 250 California.
    We are of similar minds here. I think maybe the prettiest car ever made, and one of my absolute favourites is the 250 GT SWB. Also, how could you say no to the Ferris Bueller Ferrari?

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    I like the 250 GTO a lot, but I definitely prefer the GTL.
    The Lusso is another excellent example of the quality of this vintage of Ferraris ('55-'65). The series of cars made by the company in these years may be my favourite run of any manufacturer.

I think you guys would know I am fairly reluctant to call myself a Ferrari fan, but they may well be my favourite car company. I feel like such a gauche and mainstream car enthusiast if that indeed is the case; hellcat/Ferrer be not proud of my obvious and non-hipster choice. Even I feel shame.

I think the Ferrari 250 GTO is massively overrated.
    Are you talking here in monetary terms, or did you actually drive one and compared it to other Ferraris from the same period?

Personally I like the looks of the 250 SWB better, but in terms of speed and handling they come nowhere close to the GTO.

A proper 330 P4 would probably outprice a 250 GTO in the current market, but there are only two that can be considered original, the one owned by the Bardinon family and Lawrence Stroll's car. The third car now owned by Franco Meiners has too much of a history around her to achieve its full value potential.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Thread Information