Thread: BMW X5? Cooling system?

BMW X5? Cooling system?

Anyone on this forum ever owned an X5? My parents have one and whoever designed the coolant circulation system did not have longevity or stopping leaks in mind. So far since we bought it 6 years ago it has sprung a leak everywhere with regards to coolant. First it was just some random line between the reservoir and the radiator, then it was the valley pan gasket b/t the two banks of cylinders (its a V8) and another line, then it was a screw on top of the reservoir that was cheap plastic and blew, and now its the connection b/t a line for coolant overflow at the top and its leaking.

Is this a known problem with the X5 or BMWs in general? We used to have a 325is (E36) that ran like charm for 140,000 miles but this X5 is the most unreliable car we have ever owned. Any similar experiences?

Quote Originally Posted by MRR View Post
    Anyone on this forum ever owned an X5? My parents have one and whoever designed the coolant circulation system did not have longevity or stopping leaks in mind. So far since we bought it 6 years ago it has sprung a leak everywhere with regards to coolant. First it was just some random line between the reservoir and the radiator, then it was the valley pan gasket b/t the two banks of cylinders (its a V8) and another line, then it was a screw on top of the reservoir that was cheap plastic and blew, and now its the connection b/t a line for coolant overflow at the top and its leaking.

Is this a known problem with the X5 or BMWs in general? We used to have a 325is (E36) that ran like charm for 140,000 miles but this X5 is the most unreliable car we have ever owned. Any similar experiences?
    What year is it? Friend used to own one, had a few troubles with the bleed valve which its sounds like what your problem is at the moment. He recently sold it but hasn't had any problems with it after valve was replaced turns out the rubber had just perished.
    Miscommunication seems to be a direct result of misplaced, text based sarcasm.

Bugger, my sister just bought one...

The X5s from the first couple years had a lot of problems. Ours was far from the worst but it did go in for quite a few things. However it is the best driving SUV ever; the new X5 is wonderful but too big, the Cayenne Turbo is fast but a bit heavy footed.
    "The Metric System is the tool of the Devil! My car gets 40 Rods to the Hogshead and that's the ways I likes it!" -Grandpa Simpson

the first gen X5 were having some problems but the facelift version dindn't really have any problems were drove one for about 25000 miles and no problem whatoever

2003 4.6is so a bit over 5 years now. One was the bleeder screw that was a a month ago. My parents called the dealer but I guess they didn't make it very clear to me what needed to be replaced (said "tank" which translated to me as coolant reservoir needs to be replaced because it was cracked like I thought!!).

Quote Originally Posted by #1 Mustang Fan View Post
    What year is it? Friend used to own one, had a few troubles with the bleed valve which its sounds like what your problem is at the moment. He recently sold it but hasn't had any problems with it after valve was replaced turns out the rubber had just perished.
    Dunno about the valve but there was a bleeder screw that had to be replaced a month ago. It could be the valve this time. It doesn't seem like the system was designed to withstand the pressure it is under.

2001 X5 - has developed a pinhole leak in the top of the bmw coolant reservoir near the cap. Looks like something I can replace myself (the reservoir) but am interested in guidance on bleeding the system and whether it is important to use BMW anti-freeze only.
    Last edited by jsulen; 03-09-2011 at 06:46 PM.

Hello,

I am writing to tell you about a new BREAKTHROUGH method for repairing a leaking Coolant Transfer Pipe in the BMW N62 V8 engine block using the BimmerFix Stint. The N62 V8 is a popular BMW engine that was used from 2002 thru 2010, in such fabulous vehicles as the BMW 735i, 740i, 745i, 750i & Li, 645Ci, 650i, 540i, 545i, 550i, and the X5 SUV.

Located deep inside of this BMW N62 engine is a Coolant Transfer Pipe, which carries antifreeze from the Water Pump to cooling chambers within the engine. However, the Front Seal on this Cooling Tube can fail in as little as 40,000 miles, and start leaking antifreeze from the engine block, through a weep hole in the Timing Chain Cover. When this happens, the car will lose antifreeze from the engine, and the engine will overheat.

In the past, this has been a very expensive repair because it required disassembly of the engine, in order to access the leaking Cooling Pipe Seal. The original method of replacing the crossover Coolant Transfer Pipe required the removal of the Timing Chain Cover. This repair could cost $6,000 or more at the BMW Dealer.

Then, an after-market Collapsible Coolant Pipe was developed to save time and money on this repair. This Collapsible Coolant Pipe method involves removing the Intake Manifold, cutting out the old Coolant Pipe and installing the after-market Collapsible Coolant Pipe. But even this method required many hours of shop labor and expensive parts and supplies. The repair bill for this method can still cost between $1,500.00 and $2,500.00 to remove the Intake Manifold, cut out the old Coolant Pipe and install the new Collapsible Coolant Pipe.

However, BimmerFix Products Co. has discovered a BREAKTHROUGH system to stop the leak! The BimmerFix method is much faster and less expensive than these old methods. This simple, yet durable and long lasting method inserts the BimmerFix Stint into the leaking crossover cooling tube, through the Timing Chain Cover. The thin aluminum sleeve creates a long lasting repair that is much easier and less expensive to install than the old repair methods.

The new BimmerFix Stint will stop the Coolant Pipe leak, and only requires the removal of the Water Pump. This new patent protected invention can save YOU or your customer’s time, hassle, and thousands of dollars. It works or your money back!

Save time and money! Take a look at Bimmerfix Products Company - Bmw N62 V8 Coolant Transfer Pipe Repair Kit For Bmw 545i 550i 645ci 650i 745i 750i X5 And More By.

Watch The Video! You will be glad you did! [ame="http://youtu.be/UABuZYvI3SM"]BMW N62 V-8 Cooling Pipe Repair System by BimmerFix. For BMW 745i, 645ci, 545i, X5 more. - YouTube[/ame]

Thanks for your time!

BimmerFix Products Co.

Tucson, Arizona, USA

Thread Information