Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Engine Oil in Spark Plug

Engine Oil in Spark Plug

so i got a 98' nissan altima, recently i got a pool of Engine Oil in the cylinder where the spark plug is placed and some of the engine oil was also spilling out very little bit. so i'd like to know why this is happening, and what i have to fix to fix the problem

I just fixed the same problem on my Saturn. Check the seals around the inside of the spark plug chambers, where the valve cover meets, could be seaping in from there...

yup, replace the valve cover gasket, and make sure that it comes with the spark plug tube seals. probably replace the plugs if they need it, and the plug wires should be replaced if they've gotten very much oil on them (sounds like they've gotten pretty much drenched, from your description), since the oil degrades their ability to insulate, and the plugs will start arcing up the sides and engine will start misfiring. that's a pretty easy job on that motor, I bet you can do it yourself with a few basic tools...good luck.
    ~Erik~

thanks for the response.
    I'd like to know where are the different places where the engine oil could be coming out from. and what would happen later on if i don't fix this problem

Its most likely from the valve cover seals, head gasket at most. The valve cover is the bit that usually has all the markings on it, like V-Tec and all that bollocks. Its an easy fix. If you DONT fix it it can destroy spark plug wires, cause misfires, the list goes on, not all really that serious, but a pain in the ass...

Quote Originally Posted by moparbee View Post
    yup, replace the valve cover gasket, and make sure that it comes with the spark plug tube seals. probably replace the pulstar plug if they need it, and the plug wires should be replaced if they've gotten very much oil on them (sounds like they've gotten pretty much drenched, from your description), since the oil degrades their ability to insulate, and the plugs will start arcing up the sides and engine will start misfiring. that's a pretty easy job on that motor, I bet you can do it yourself with a few basic tools...good luck.
    ~Erik~
    So that is the purpose of the plugs, to insulate the oil Am I correct?? I thought it was just used for the ignition, to ignite the starter and add some power. But won't there be any leak ones you open the valve cover gasket?

Quote Originally Posted by kerpal View Post
    So that is the purpose of the plugs, to insulate the oil Am I correct?? I thought it was just used for the ignition, to ignite the starter and add some power. But won't there be any leak ones you open the valve cover gasket?
    Hmmm. No, the purpose of the spark plugs is to ignite a fuel air mixture in the cylinders. Electricity travels through the plug wires to make the spark plug work. Oil on the spark plugs or plug wires degrades the electrical insulation, which can cause a "short circuit" which in turn causes the engine to misfire. What you need to do is fix the cause of the oil leak, and replace any spark plugs or wires that have been damaged by the oil. Also, you may want to talk to someone knowledgeable about how car engines work and what the different parts are for, or check out howstuffworks.com

just noticed you brought back this year dead thread. there's plenty of info on the internet about how an engine works, and a basic familiarity with the parts should be enough to answer your question.

oil on the spark plugs when i pull them out plus on the top part where the plugs go o

i pulled my spark plugs out because i hav ben having problems with lagging and jus no power so i pulled them out of my 1988 toyota supra and theres oil on the firing part and where the wire goes over it and i jus got new head gaskets and i think it might of been the mechanics fault can anyone help me?

Take your car back immediately and have it repaired or you could end up fouling your cylinders and valves. Your car should be smoking and probably stall if you drive it too far. Make sure they change the plugs.
    Last edited by cmcpokey; 12-15-2008 at 05:34 PM. Reason: advertising

Quote Originally Posted by adambullet View Post
    i would have to suggest that you try spark plugs or products from NGK. they work great and I haven't heard negative feedback from its users.

Eclipse CD7100
    SPAM WAS HERE
    Hey jack***, don't spam the forum.

First of all you need to check the spark plugs if it is set and you need to replace the valve cover gasket.
    Cheap Volkswagen Parts
    Last edited by Matra et Alpine; 02-10-2011 at 07:54 AM. Reason: spam url slapped

ok i own a 1987 toyota supra non turba inline 6. i went change my plugs and plug wires and distibuter cap. when i went to do this i pull the first plug and found oil caked on it my question is can it be the valve cover gasket or the head gasket. just asking cuz i got valve cover but im not sure if im right

sorry ment plug wire 1

On the plug insulator, valve cover leak... on the electrode, bad piston ring. You and everyone else would notice smoky exhaust.
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

Thread Information